Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about adding a strut tower brace and adding oil.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about adding a strut tower brace and adding oil.....

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a Front Strut Brace but I'm trying to decide on what kind I should get.

Is there a large difference between the 3-point brace that also bolts upto your firewall, as opposed to the strut brace only????

Also...I was adding oil to my car today after removing the old oil and I'm supposed to pour in about 3L of oil. I think I poured in 3.5L of oil.
Will that affect my car??? will it do any damage???

thanks
bartek
Old 11-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about adding a strut tower brace and adding oil..... (bartek_b)

if you arent autocrossing you wont notice a difference with the 3 point strutbar.

as for your oil just drain alittle oil out of it. It is bad having to much oil.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Question about adding a strut tower brace and adding oil..... (Evil_gambit33)

well on my dipstick, I have the low mark and full mark. the oil at this moment is aobut .5-1 inch above the full mark(dot)
Old 11-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about adding a strut tower brace and adding oil..... (bartek_b)

hey the oil thing isnt that bad. especially if you have some miles on your motor. I dont think it will hurt anything. a man told me that its better to have to much oil than to have to little
Old 11-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about adding a strut tower brace and adding oil..... (92lxsedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92lxsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey the oil thing isnt that bad. especially if you have some miles on your motor. I dont think it will hurt anything. a man told me that its better to have to much oil than to have to little </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, you live in Jasper... Call Jasper Engines and see what they say...

Yes, too mych oil is a very bad thing. You can blow your PCV valve out, wash bearings due to too much pressure (as the extra oil has no place to go when running), get massive blowby, ruin rings, etc...

Time to drain some out.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about adding a strut tower brace and adding oil..... (92lxsedan)

My step dads oil light shorted in his old accord andhis oil pressure light stayed on constantly so he kept adding oil. After adding so much oil, the car bogged down and ran like ****. I dont know how much extra he put in vs how much this guy put in. I dont he put in 6 or 7 quarts, but I definately wouldnt want to overflow the engine with oil.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:33 AM

Too much and too little is a bad thing. I know some people who purposly run +1 quart of oil for a little added "protection" so when the engine burns the oil, they don't loose as much. And some people, and racing teams but a little less than you're supposed to for less friction.
I still put mine in at exactly 3.8 quarts.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Question about adding a strut tower brace and adding oil..... (specv5150)

I work for Valvoline, so let me toss my professional opinion in the ring.

Too much oil is, indeed, a bad thing, however, an extra half-quart in your Honda isn't going to do anything, won't effect the PCV system and will be fine to leave alone until your next oil change. When you start adding significant amounts (50% more, usually) beyond the recommended crankcase capacity, then you need to drain it. 3.5 in a 3 quart system will be fine.

Just don't get in the habit of doing it often.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Question about adding a strut tower brace and adding oil..... (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I work for Valvoline, so let me toss my professional opinion in the ring.

Too much oil is, indeed, a bad thing, however, an extra half-quart in your Honda isn't going to do anything, won't effect the PCV system and will be fine to leave alone until your next oil change. When you start adding significant amounts (50% more, usually) beyond the recommended crankcase capacity, then you need to drain it. 3.5 in a 3 quart system will be fine.

Just don't get in the habit of doing it often.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man, I'll drain some oil out tommorow at school.
There isn't a lot but now you all got me scarred