Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about ABS and Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about ABS and Traction Control

Has anyone istalled abs on a non abs on a civic (if so was it worth it). or has anyone heard of a traction control on a civic and is it possible to install TC ...i think that some jdm civics had a traction control system... and would the abs and tcs go hand in hand??
Old 04-20-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question about ABS and Traction Control (dgrave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dgrave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone istalled abs on a non abs on a civic (if so was it worth it). or has anyone heard of a traction control on a civic and is it possible to install TC ...i think that some jdm civics had a traction control system... and would the abs and tcs go hand in hand??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Theres a little more to traction control then just running a few wires. ABS can be easily installed to a non ABS civic. It does take some work, but it can be done. I'll ask my friend what he all needed when he did this. The difference is not noticable untill you actuall need ABS. I have been in my friends car when we needed it (1ft away from rearending a dodge) at I know that my hatch couldn't have made that quick stop.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Question about ABS and Traction Control (Bond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Theres a little more to traction control then just running a few wires. ABS can be easily installed to a non ABS civic. It does take some work, but it can be done. I'll ask my friend what he all needed when he did this. The difference is not noticable untill you actuall need ABS. I have been in my friends car when we needed it (1ft away from rearending a dodge) at I know that my hatch couldn't have made that quick stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Given the same sized brakes and same vehicle weight, I think a non abs vehicle would be capable of quicker stops. The trick is modulating the pedal correctly and not locking up the brakes.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question about ABS and Traction Control (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Given the same sized brakes and same vehicle weight, I think a non abs vehicle would be capable of quicker stops. The trick is modulating the pedal correctly and not locking up the brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He has rear disc's which I think helped a little.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Question about ABS and Traction Control (Bond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He has rear disc's which I think helped a little.</TD></TR></TABLE>

On a Civic, I don't think the rear disc does much for stopping distance. The 99 EX stopped quicker then the 99 Si according to Car and Driver... and it was by a good margin. The advantage to disc is when they get wet, they don't "Fade" out like drums will. They are also heavier.