Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quality Driving Lamps (PIAA etc...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality Driving Lamps (PIAA etc...)

I have PIAA superwhites in my stock headlights and I can't see a damn thing on 90% of the rural roads I drive on.

I'm not getting involved doing an HID retro fit so I figure a good set of driving lights would be the easiest solution however I don't want to be dissapointed.

Does anyone have pics or experience with either of the following PIAA lamps ?

1100X Platinum

P1000-XT Platinum

Old 10-13-2006, 10:05 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a quick lesson for you:

You can't see **** because your bulbs suck. They look cool, and look "bright" ... but they're a coated bulb. The light is being passed and refracted through multiple layers of coating, thus dimming, changing, and diverting the light. The further away from the yellow/green spectrum of colors, the less reactive your eyes are, due to extended wavelengths.

Your best bet for good lighting is an uncoated bulb and a clear lens.

Some reccomendations for H4 headlamp bulbs:

GE Nighthawk (Walmart)
Phillips Vision 30% (Autozone/Schucks/Kragen/Checker)
Osram Silverstars (europe only, http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/)
GE MegalightPlus (europe only, http://www.autolamps-online.com/)
Phillips VisionPlus 50% (europe only, http://www.autolamps-online.com/)

As for driving lights, I would recomend OEM or OEM-Copy foglamps, coupled with a good uncoated H3 Bulb:

Phillips Vision 30%
Polarg MaxClear
Old 10-13-2006, 10:08 PM
HT White Ops

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1768060
Old 10-13-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

I can tell you the PIAA headlight bulbs are much better than stock visibility wise, they just don't do enough for what I need.

Also, I can't imagine an oem *fog* lamp is going to out-perform a quality aftermarket *driving* lamp, maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't the beam pattern be spread out much more with a fog compared to a nice focused beam of an aftermarket driving lamp ?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:12 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Prod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can tell you the PIAA headlight bulbs are much better than stock visibility wise, they just don't do enough for what I need.

Also, I can't imagine an oem driving lamp is going to out-perform a quality aftermarket lamp, maybe I'm wrong...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are wrong.

And your piaas only appear brighter. Yes, they output more light than a stock bulb, but that doesn't equate to visibility. Blue-coated bulbs are ricer-bling-bullshit.

PS - OEM foglights are a driving light.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:13 PM

I edited this in let me know what you think...

Also, I can't imagine an oem *fog* lamp is going to out-perform a quality aftermarket *driving* lamp, maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't the beam pattern be spread out much more with a fog compared to a nice focused beam of an aftermarket driving lamp ?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:15 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Prod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I edited this in let me know what you think...

Also, I can't imagine an oem *fog* lamp is going to out-perform a quality aftermarket *driving* lamp, maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't the beam pattern be spread out much more with a fog compared to a nice focused beam of an aftermarket driving lamp ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

What is a focused beam going to do? Have you actually looked at the spread of your headlights? They're not like a flashlight bulb. They have side scatter. OEM foglamps are designed specifically for your car, and provide addequate visibility in inclimate weather and low-light conditions.

But believe what you want to. I mean, it's PIAA, and PIAA is from Japan. It must be made of magic.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hella Micro DE fogs are the best darned fogs i've ever seen, and Hella makes some darn good dirving lights as well. Basically stick with any e-code type of foglight or driving light and you'll get plenty good output and great beam as well as cutoff.

Driving lights are more long range (a lot of pencil beam types) and fogs are more of a wide-spread broad light for immediate foreground illumination.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:22 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (chrisw85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisw85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hella Micro DE fogs are the best darned fogs i've ever seen, and Hella makes some darn good dirving lights as well. Basically stick with any e-code type of foglight or driving light and you'll get plenty good output and great beam as well as cutoff.

Driving lights are more long range (a lot of pencil beam types) and fogs are more of a wide-spread broad light for immediate foreground illumination.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If he needs more than immediate illumination, then he needs to slow the expletive down.

I understand how it is to drive in the DARK. My state is full of hippie liberal bullshit and trees, so there aren't enough street lamps outside the major cities. There are deer everywhere, and it's pitch black.

And you know what?

My stock fogs and clear bulbs let me see EVERYTHING I need to.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:32 PM

I've seen oem foglights/driving lights...I can't say what bulb was in them but I was not impressed.

A focused beam is going to let me see more of the road ahead of me instead of the bushes on the side of the road. A heavy concern of mine is how far ahead of me I can see.

Also, I could care less if the driving lamps I end up with are PIAA or not.
I chose to look at PIAA because it's a brand I've used before and haven't had any problems with.

I'm open to suggestions if you have any on aftermarket lights.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:36 PM

http://www.rallylights.com/hel...s.asp
has lots of Hella lamps to choose from.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If he needs more than immediate illumination, then he needs to slow the expletive down.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed.

too much immediate foreground illumination and you'll end up 'over driving' your headlights; ie driving faster then what youre headlights let you see. Thats why its not a good idea to run fogs and your main dipped beam at the same time (depending on rate of speed) becuase you'll naturally put more focus and attention on the foreground in front because it is more intensely lit than the background, and at 60mph this is a problem.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Re: (chrisw85)

I drive like a grandma.

My main concern is having time to stop and or make choices to avoid road hazards. Ideally once I purchase something I'll be going the speed limit and be able to see things way in advance.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 PM

i know you have a few h4's listed but overall of those listed which one would you recommend? i prefer to see the road

edit: this goes out to eran
Old 10-13-2006, 11:29 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (morningstar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by morningstar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know you have a few h4's listed but overall of those listed which one would you recommend? i prefer to see the road

edit: this goes out to eran</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any of those really. I presonally prefer the Nighthawks, because they're locally available, and rather inexpensive, around $25 a pair.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i swear Eran, i was tempted to get in the middle of this, but i knew you'd have it covered... it would be great to sticky this information or maybe that writeup you did. this question seems to pop up a few times a day. there doesn't seem to be that many people on this board who can understand that it is possible for a headlight to be as bright as an HID, but perform worse than stock bulbs. oh and since i didnt see it covered...just so it's not asked...yellow does absolutely nothing in the fog/rain/snow. yellow fogs=bling
Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (wudini)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wudini &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i swear Eran, i was tempted to get in the middle of this, but i knew you'd have it covered... it would be great to sticky this information or maybe that writeup you did. this question seems to pop up a few times a day. there doesn't seem to be that many people on this board who can understand that it is possible for a headlight to be as bright as an HID, but perform worse than stock bulbs. oh and since i didnt see it covered...just so it's not asked...yellow does absolutely nothing in the fog/rain/snow. yellow fogs=bling</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got it stickied mang, and also added information on dichoric filtering/light interference

&lt;- H-T Thumb Of Justice!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:48 PM

So back to the original post, I'm still curious if anyone else has experience/PICS/recommendations on a good set of driving lamps...