Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Putting in JDM eg interior.. help with a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting in JDM eg interior.. help with a couple of questions

Im installing some jdm interior for a buddy of mine today, and had some questions on connections and how things fit.

1st.. What are these?

Then, when I set the seats inside the car to get some ideas on fittings, a couplee of things dont look right... like I may be missing something or I need to fab up a little something:

1. How does the bar that runs from wheel well to wheel well connect? The bar looks like it wants to/suposed to fit over something like a small block, then bolts to it.

2. How does that Bar connect in the middle? It seems to sit too high.. prolly 2-3" off the body.

If you've got some pics of either a gutted/semi gutted out jdm eg rear so I can see the attachment points or if you've installed jdm interior on your car and you have some pics of your install.. that would be great.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Putting in JDM eg interior.. help with a couple of questions (EgSalad)

1. those look like the things that you could hang your clothes on from above the door. The one thats different from the others goes on the driver side

2. I believe you either need to weld or make a bracket for those to fit. I would make a bracket because then you could take it off when need be.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any pic of that area on a jdm car?..
Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Putting in JDM eg interior.. help with a couple of questions (EgSalad)

1. They hold the cargo box down. Not real sure what the cloth tabs are for but the plastic ***** are to hold the cargo box. Looks like this...

without cargo box

with cargo box

Don't have any other pictures of that area but that should give you enough of an idea to firgure it out.

2. I figure there must be a mounting point in the JDM chassis that allows you to mount that to but in the USDM there isn't anything like you've found out.

With the middle plastic piece mounted to that metal bar and those two installed between the side panels, it'll hold together just fine without mounting the sides of the metal bar.

You could probably fabricate some sort of mount but it's not really needed.

3. Just cut out the spot welds and remove it. I say to remove the spot welds because if you want to reinstall it later you can easily put it back on.

I don't see it providing much support so...

You could probably fabricate some sort of mount but again, it's not really needed.

In your the second to last picture... You see that upper seat bracket located on the top of the wheel well? It needs to be removed. You won't be able to install the side panels without removing it. While your at it, remove all the other USDM seat brackets. Use a spot weld cutter that cuts around the spot weld. Then come back and grind the spot welds down.

Your friend did get the center bracket that the rear seat backs pivot on with the JDM interior right? The JDM bracket is different from the USDM one, you can't reuse the USDM one unless you do some cutting, adding metal and welding.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Putting in JDM eg interior.. help with a couple of questions (TouringAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your friend did get the center bracket that the rear seat backs pivot on with the JDM interior right? The JDM bracket is different from the USDM one, you can't reuse the USDM one unless you do some cutting, adding metal and welding.

Let me know if you have any other questions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, he got that. Just didnt post up a pic:

I know I have to take of the usdm seat back brackets to fit the plastics in.. that and taking out the center pivot are already on the agenda.

I am kind of a perfectionist when it comes to the little things, so even if not having those ends attached nor the center of that bracket attached doesnt provide much support.. I still want to do it. Its just aesthetics, but I like that stuff.

Thanks for all the help!

Anybody else have pics of the jdm rear gutted so I can see what those attachment points look like?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:23 AM
H-T Order of Merit

ah, just making sure.

You could try contacting some importers and see if they have any cut up JDM hatches they've taken parts from to get you some pictures. Just a thought.

If you are set on making mounts for those parts, which is fine, just get it all installed and lined up, then take some measurement and start making your own mounts. I think thats going to be your best bet.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.. someone out there has pics of a jdm eg rear clip w/o interior.

im doing this tonight, so it would help...
Old 09-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EgSalad)

EgSalad post pics when you done !! I might want to do it too !
Old 09-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill post up some pics..

THE ONLY THING I HAVE LEFT TO FIGURE OUT...

is the center mounting. the entire pivot piece sits about 2-3" off the body, so im sure im missing something.

**I need a pic of a gutted out jdm rear where the seat back pivot piece mounts to**

bump.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your going to need all the brackets from a EG6 and rivet or weld them in place and there are more than you have listed.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your going to need all the brackets from a EG6 and rivet or weld them in place and there are more than you have listed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

To do it perfectly, you will definately need all the brackets, but as they're welded into an EG6 chassis, getting them out without screwing them up too much could prove difficult. What you're missing are the side mounts for the ends of the support bar, and the centre mount.

I've helped you with the 25th anniversary eg6 seats myth and i'll help you with this I've only got the one pic where i stripped my EG6 to spray waxoyl on the inner rear arches. But i'll try to get some more tomorrow, the seats come out easy enough, so i 'll snap a few pics to show you

thats the only one i've got the now, hopefully more tomorrow. Gives me an excuse to take the EG6 out the garage, where its stayed for over 2 months now
Old 09-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yah, i remember you. thats gain for helping me out. I appreciate it.

damn.. thats about what i need. do you have another pic just like that, but over to the left a little so I can see how that bar and seat back pivot attach to the body?

also, do you have that same pic you posted above, but with that bar out so I can see hwo that bar mounts to the wheelwell?

That would help ALOT. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice seats , i went threw this hell when picking up a setup too.

here ya go.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm.. thats exactly my issue.. ^^^
what did you do there?.. it looks like bondo then you bolted it down to it? No?

If not then what did you fab up?

Thanks.. were making progress.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the oem braket that comes in the eg6 , i have not done anything about mine yet but i will be fabbing somthing up.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:56 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (CunninLynguist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CunninLynguist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, that picture explains a lot. I never knew there was a mount that the seat pivot sat on.

Also, this is what I had made up by my moms boyfriend...

I installed everything then took some measurements, drew something up and he made it for me. For the pivot part, he just used two dowel pins with threaded holes, put a stud in one, screwed the other onto it and then pressed them through the hole.

That is the first one he made for me. My measurements were a little off so the seats sat a little off, we made a couple changes and made a new one. He had it coated black at his work and it looks good installed. I don't have any pictures of that one though.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CunninLynguist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, ok.. my color must've been off or I was tired when I 1st looked at this pic. I can see the oem bracket. Thats exactly what I need.

Did you grab the oem side brackets that same cross bar attaches/bolts to? Pics of that?

Old 09-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CunninLynguist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok.. been calling around to local/semi-local jdm importers to see if anyone has a rear clip i can get this off of, or if anyone has this, and no luck yet.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 PM
H-T Order of Merit

well, if you or someone you know can cut/bend/drill/weld, you can make something like I have... what I posted above.

Or you can try and bend some sheet metal to match the bottom bracket under the seat pivot and then bolt or weld that into the car.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yah.. its always easy to fab something, but id like to keep it as oem as possible.

bump
Old 09-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any pics yet of it complete..
Old 09-29-2006, 10:55 AM
H-T Order of Merit

well, you asked for ideas...

Other than calling importers I don't know where else your going to find that OEM bracket.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aight.. thanks. If I dont find that piece in the next couple of weeks, then yah, ill fab something up.

yah, I took a couple of pics today, but ill take some more tomorrow when I finish wiring up the speakers.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...cause i always wanted this conversion.
the welding is the only thing that turned me off of it.

Quick Reply: Putting in JDM eg interior.. help with a couple of questions