Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push button start

i purchased a 94 eg not too long ago and it has a push button start. I think the button is old or just a piece of junk...but my question is to anyone who knows..will a s2k push button install rather easily? I have no clue on how the existing button is installed..im sure its low tech but i plan on keeping the car for hauling and racing since my s2k is of course 2 seater..any help would greatly be appracited!,,oh one more thing anyone hav or know where i can see a pic of a red eg with rota n1 black with red lip? im debating on them! thank you!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Push button start (06lgnablus2kkk)

Oh, Id liek to know...that would be a cool feature I think.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Push button start (Hondaciv95VX)

An S2000 start button will work in most cars, its just a switch. I have one in my EG, let me see if I can find a good wiring diagram for you.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Push button start (polishrifle)

How exactly would you wire this up?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Push button start (JDM-EJ1)

ok, I found my diagrams, but I don't have a scanner...so let me try and explain this.

There are 5 pins on the back of the S2000 button, you will need to use the 3 on the right hand side (looking at the back). The one in the middle (of all five pins) goes to ground, the second from the right goes to ignition, and the far right goes to 12V output to relay. I'm sorry, I can't remember what type of relay it is, I'll get back to you on that. But, the 12V output from the button goes to the #85 pin on the relay, the 12V constant source from the car goes to the #87 pin on the relay, ground goes to the #86 pin on the relay, and run a wire from the #30 pin on the relay to the starter wire on the car.

Since you have a 94 EG like me:

Ignition wire - black/yellow
Starter wire - black/white
12V constant - white

NOTE - other hondas differ when it comes to the wire color

the hardest part of this install is getting the hole cut correctly, the S2000 button has non-symmetrical grooves to prevent the button from rotating, its not just a round hole.

Also note - I did not cut any wires, I tapped into them, that way I can still use the key to start the car. I do still need to insert the key and turn to position II to start the car with the button, like it was meant to work. If you only want the button to work then cut the starter wire and splice in (again the key will still need to be turned to work).

Modified by polishrifle at 7:41 PM 6/12/2006
Old 06-12-2006, 04:34 PM

The relay is a NO 30A/NC 20A/12VDC
PN: 961-1C-12DM

For those who haven't had a few semesters of electronics:
NO=normally open (circuit is open or "broken")
NC=normally closed (circuit is closed or "complete")
A=amps
V=volts
DC=direct current

It is very important that you use a relay, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I found out the hard way, in less than a year my button had burned out (with no relay in the circuit), and I had to replace it. Thank goodness I had not cut out the key to the starter.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Push button start (93ej1)

Wow. That's awesome. I also saw onetime where someone had a 'removeable' push button start. Would that be the same concept?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow. That's awesome. I also saw onetime where someone had a 'removeable' push button start. Would that be the same concept?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I could take it out and everything would work...but I would have a 1" hole in my dashboard.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by polishrifle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I could take it out and everything would work...but I would have a 1" hole in my dashboard.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Interesting. How much did the switch cost you?
Old 06-12-2006, 05:00 PM

It was not cheap, around $50. I got it as a "kit" off of ebay, which means it came with the relay and some brief instructions. But its the actual Honda part, not a knock-off.

Of all the mods I have done and all the $ I have spent on my car, I get the most compliments on the button. Which I think is funny because it does nothing except look cool, but it is fun to start my car with it, and it never gets old.

Modified by polishrifle at 12:01 AM 6/13/2006
Old 06-12-2006, 05:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by polishrifle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It was not cheap, around $50. I got it as a "kit" off of ebay, which means it came with the relay and some brief instructions. But its the actualy Honda part, not a knock-off.

Of all the mods I have done and all the $ I have spent on my car, I get the most compliments on the button. Which I think is funny because it does nothing except look cool, but it is fun to start my car with it, and it never gets old.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. Sounds like it. I'll look into this.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:59 PM

awesome mod i kinda like it....
Old 06-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after you put the pushbutton start in, what's the deal with the key and stuff? like the original ignition system? How does that work? I know on the viper the car has to read the key on u for the start button to work but I don't think the S2000 has that......but what about the reg. key hole, radio mode adn such
Old 06-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have to insert the key and turn to #II position, isn't it more work. Isn't it easier to just turn the key a little more at that point than to push a button somewhere else. I imagine you still have to give it gas and push in the clutch. I guess it's just the cool factor like someone said.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Push button start (struppi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by struppi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have to insert the key and turn to #II position, isn't it more work. Isn't it easier to just turn the key a little more at that point than to push a button somewhere else. I imagine you still have to give it gas and push in the clutch. I guess it's just the cool factor like someone said.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There isn't much purpose to this other than to have that in your car; a push button start. It's a bling factor, nothing more.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:28 PM
cute little bastard

Kind of an OT question, but if I have to get a new ignition switch pigtail/electrical portion (mines shot) will the push button thing fix it?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1320931 (thread about the ignition switch pigtail)
Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Push button start (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kind of an OT question, but if I have to get a new ignition switch pigtail/electrical portion (mines shot) will the push button thing fix it?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1320931 (thread about the ignition switch pigtail)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good question. My buddies just went out, I'd like to know this too.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There isn't much purpose to this other than to have that in your car; a push button start. It's a bling factor, nothing more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well said

As I stated earlier, you still have to turn the key to position II. But I hope for your car's sake you don't just turn the key through all thre positions at once. You should let the fuel pump do its thing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kind of an OT question, but if I have to get a new ignition switch pigtail/electrical portion (mines shot) will the push button thing fix it?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1320931 (thread about the ignition switch pigtail)</TD></TR></TABLE>

That depends what is wrong.

The stock ignition switch does a few things
-turns on accessories (position I)
-turns on power to everything else (position II)
-starts the car (position III)

The S2000 start button only operates the function of position III, so if the stock switch is not letting anything get power, then it will have to go, if it just won't start the car, then the button will help. But I doubt that just position III will not work and everything else be fine, typically the switch will wear out first on the other positions, or everything will go at once. Or its not the switch that is the problem, and has something to do with another part of the starting system.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:03 PM
cute little bastard

this is how mine is. 1st/2nd work I'm assuming so because the radio/radar/cigarette lighter turns on. But 3rd position doesn't (cluster/clock doesn't come on). So my friend rigged the ignition wires (I'm not sure how) where the ground (white) and power (black/yellow) went to a toggle switch (like the "nos" switch ) so its like manually turning on 3rd position, then I'd have to crank to start it. I hope that makes sense
Old 06-12-2006, 08:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is how mine is. 1st/2nd work I'm assuming so because the radio/radar/cigarette lighter turns on. But 3rd position doesn't (cluster/clock doesn't come on). So my friend rigged the ignition wires (I'm not sure how) where the ground (white) and power (black/yellow) went to a toggle switch (like the "nos" switch ) so its like manually turning on 3rd position, then I'd have to crank to start it. I hope that makes sense</TD></TR></TABLE>

Position I is radio/radar/cigarette, thats what accessory is, position II is clock gauges, fuel pump, etc., position III is cranking the car over to start the motor running. Sounds to me like you need a new switch. What kind of car is it? Because if it is the same as mine, white is not ground, it is 12V constant and the black/yellow is ignition (position II), but like I said the wire colors differ between honda models and years.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:38 PM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by polishrifle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Position I is radio/radar/cigarette, thats what accessory is, position II is clock gauges, fuel pump, etc., position III is cranking the car over to start the motor running. Sounds to me like you need a new switch. What kind of car is it? Because if it is the same as mine, white is not ground, it is 12V constant and the black/yellow is ignition (position II), but like I said the wire colors differ between honda models and years.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a 94 Vx. yea 12V constant is what I meant. and I guess that means my POS II is the one thats f-ed
Old 06-12-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by [img
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTI1Nzg5MjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg[/img]

Modified by polishrifle at 7:41 PM 6/12/2006
looks nice
Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its a 94 Vx. yea 12V constant is what I meant. and I guess that means my POS II is the one thats f-ed</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need a new switch
push button won't help you
Old 06-12-2006, 08:52 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Push button start (wheelmanbg)

crap...

Could I keep my existing key?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">crap...

Could I keep my existing key?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think so. If I remember right, the key lock is separate from the actual switch.

Not sure though, it's been a while since I hooked up my remote start

Quick Reply: Push button start