Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

purchased an ek with a b16a swap, lots of plugs not connected, what goes where?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 purchased an ek with a b16a swap, lots of plugs not connected, what goes where?

I bought a 96 ek with a JDM B16A in it swapped from the previous owner. I'm don't know a lot about engines but I'm not thinking there should be all these plugs hanging. I have included pictures of everything I'm concerned about because I'm not sure what everything is. Lets get started. (You can click on the thumbnails for a better view)

In this picture there is nothing plugged into this. It's located on one of the tubes on the intake manifold. Not sure what it is.

In this picture the middle hose was originally zip tied off... didn't think it needed to be so i cut the tie but I'm not sure if there was a reason to have it zip tied.

This is located on the left side of the engine by the distributor cap. The green plug has nothing in it and the gray plug is just sitting there also attached to a piece of metal but nothing is in it's plug.

This plug is along side the MAP sensor plug. Nothing plugged into it. They are behind the engine. The MAP sensor though is connected to a nipple off the back of the intake manifold. I was under the impression it should be on the air intake but I could be wrong.

This last one is two plugs that are behind the engine underneath the intake manifold and to the left side. I do not know what they are but I was guessing power steering and air conditioning? I don't know what they are though.

Thanks for any and all help. It's much appreciated. I don't know a lot about this stuff but I'm trying to learn as I go.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: purchased an ek with a b16a swap, lots of plugs not connected, what goes where?

Originally Posted by nitro911
I bought a 96 ek with a JDM B16A in it swapped from the previous owner. I'm don't know a lot about engines but I'm not thinking there should be all these plugs hanging. I have included pictures of everything I'm concerned about because I'm not sure what everything is. Lets get started. (You can click on the thumbnails for a better view)

In this picture there is nothing plugged into this. It's located on one of the tubes on the intake manifold. Not sure what it is.
This is the intake air temp sensor. The EK used a different style sensor that was placed in the intake arm. Should look like this:

In this picture the middle hose was originally zip tied off... didn't think it needed to be so i cut the tie but I'm not sure if there was a reason to have it zip tied. This should go to the PCV valve, not sure why they would zip tie it shut.

This is located on the left side of the engine by the distributor cap. The green plug has nothing in it and the gray plug is just sitting there also attached to a piece of metal but nothing is in it's plug. This is the VTEC solenoid (gray) and VTEC pressure switch (green) plugs

This plug is along side the MAP sensor plug. Nothing plugged into it. They are behind the engine. The MAP sensor though is connected to a nipple off the back of the intake manifold. I was under the impression it should be on the air intake but I could be wrong. This could be either the IAT plug I was talking about above (wires will be green and red) or it could be the EVAP purge solenoid plug. It should be on the top of the throttle body unless they swapped throttle bodies with an OBD0 one.

This last one is two plugs that are behind the engine underneath the intake manifold and to the left side. I do not know what they are but I was guessing power steering and air conditioning? I don't know what they are though. These are dead end plugs for the fuel injection

Thanks for any and all help. It's much appreciated. I don't know a lot about this stuff but I'm trying to learn as I go.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: purchased an ek with a b16a swap, lots of plugs not connected, what goes where?

Sweet, thanks HondaPartsHero, that answered exactly what I wanted to know. Now my question is should I be trying to plug all of this stuff in besides those fuel injection plugs or is it ok? The car runs and everything as is, runs rich, but it does run.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya it will run alot beter with all that stuff hooked up and you will notice a big diff with vtec working. does your check engine light work ? and what ecu are you running ??
Old 07-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cel is not on, but I'm not sure if it's working or not either. The ecu that came with the car was a P72.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah you should definitely be throwing a cel for Vtec at least if it truly is a P72. What color wires are the two prong connector i was talking about above? Do you have an intake air temp sensor connected at all?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The wires on that plug are green and red, if that's what you were talking about. And it looks like there is the MAP sensor connected to a nipple on the back of the intake mani and no intake air temp sensor at all.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is kind of related but I was also questioning about this... How can you tell if an ecu is chipped or not? I was told the one I'm using is a P75 that was chipped to a P72 with a JDM B16A map. When I got to looking at it though the metal case said P75 but on the part where you plug the harnesses into it says PR4 so I wasn't sure if it's ok to use with my car or not. Here's a picture if that helps at all.

It's bad quality but if I need to get a better picture of a specific area I probably could. Just let me know.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone answer my questions? It'd be really helpful since this is my only car.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

That ECU is chipped, The SST chip is the chip. The ECU hasn't been setup for datalogging though.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh reminds me of the car I just bought.. I hate life.