Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Proposed Del Sol Plans. Anyone knowledgeable, please look over and provide insight...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proposed Del Sol Plans. Anyone knowledgeable, please look over and provide insight...

so here is my plan. i have $7500. i know this won't get me very far, or very fast.. so im going to try something a bit different than the normal "push the budget as far as i can" deal.

im going to go to a local dealer, have them find me a nice del sol, and im going to do payments on it... somewhere in the realm of $150-$250 a month. i have the means of paying this, so no problem whatsoever.

now, i will have $5500 to play with to put into the ENGINE. nothing else, just the engine. don't worry about brakes, suspension, anything else. just engine.

i want somewhere in the means of 200hp to the wheels... reliabily.
i can't decide which way to go, but the two options that come up are:

-get a si del sol, as to save myself money and go b18c5 with bolt ons?

-get a vtec sol with the b16a and get a turbo kit and push it to around 250hp? use the rest of the money on supporting mods. (at what point should i do internal work on the b16?)

oh, and excuse the pic of mackey's sol up top- its a little inspiration.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Proposed Del Sol Plans. Anyone knowledgeable, please look over and provide insight... (jbell)

I would get a del sol s model (should be around 2K), then use the rest of the money for a b16 swap, and turbo. The advantage of buying an s model and swaping, is that it is lighter (no power mirrors, power steering, etc etc... ) and it will end up costing less to buy the engine and car than to buy a VTEC sol. Plus the vtec's are getting very hard to find, hense why the price has risen so much. Stock vtec sol's are going for well over 5-6K.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Proposed Del Sol Plans. Anyone knowledgeable, please look over and provide insight... (toolowsol

thing about the s is that it has the drum brakes in the rear.

im not too terribly concerned about saving money in the price of the car... either way im doing monthly payments to a dealer.

either way, im going to have around $5500 cash in hand once i get the car to play with.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Proposed Del Sol Plans. Anyone knowledgeable, please look over and provide insight... (toolowsol

Ya... I wouldnt go threw a dealer just yet. I would look around on the net and newspapers first. You can save about 10-20% if you buy from a private party. And if you find a nice sol you can ask them if you can make payments on it.
I am also takeing the same road as you (sorta.)

Im looking for an black or red SI 1995 Sol. Anything below 180k miles. Then swap in a new engine. Im still trying to decide.... B18c1... H22..... Who knows.

Del Sol
Old 04-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well thats the thing. i want to have $5500 to put in the car right away, instead of paying $2500 for one and only having $3000 to put into an s or si model.

i actually want to make payments.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can ask them if you can make payments on it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh, i see what you mean.. still i'd prefer not to do this.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:01 PM
amy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would get a del sol s model (should be around 2K), then use the rest of the money for a b16 swap, and turbo. The advantage of buying an s model and swaping, is that it is lighter (no power mirrors, power steering, etc etc... ) and it will end up costing less to buy the engine and car than to buy a VTEC sol. Plus the vtec's are getting very hard to find, hense why the price has risen so much. Stock vtec sol's are going for well over 5-6K.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what he said
Old 04-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amy del sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what he said </TD></TR></TABLE>

i would still do it like this then:

get an s from the dealer, do payments to him, and have $5500 to spend on the engine.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:26 PM
amy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would still do it like this then:

get an s from the dealer, do payments to him, and have $5500 to spend on the engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well there ya go, good luck
Old 04-05-2004, 02:32 PM

you're in a very good position... just use your money wisely and shop around... the more you can save on the initial car, the more you have for the aftermarketing....

good luck and you better update us with pics butthead!!!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pay for the car and save your money to mod it.

Being in debt sucks.

You'll end up paying a bunch more for the car than you would if you'd just go ahead and pay for it in full now. That money you spend on interest could be used on mods.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pay for the car and save your money to mod it.

Being in debt sucks.

You'll end up paying a bunch more for the car than you would if you'd just go ahead and pay for it in full now. That money you spend on interest could be used on mods. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn right, who would modify a car that they are still paying for anyways! that stupid considering it would still be under warranty, that is if it was offered.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:45 PM

also make note that if you can get financed at a dealership, you should be able to get financed at a bank.

Find the car from a local person, then go to your bank about a loan.

tah-da payments.

You will pay less for your car that way. you can figure with a decent interest rate you monthly payment should be 20-30 a month per $1,000 financed.

This comming from a guy that works at a car dealership.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:50 PM

I bought a 93 del sol si about two years ago. If I was to do it over again I would have gotten the S version and done a swap. You can do the rear disc conversion if you really want it. But since I got the Si I decided to turbo it. Good luck with your search.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Re: (SolObsession)

if it's that much of a hobby i usually dont mind being in debt for it...

you're all righ the best way in life is to buy ONLY WHAT YOU HAVE THE MONEY FOR...

sometimes its fun to do it the hard way...

he gets to drive around a cool car... he'll still be paying car payments for it... but half of americans are lmao....

its not necessarily a financial move buying a car IMO, its a hobby...

but in all logical ways you're all right... he should pay it off...

Old 04-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95DXPhiladeph)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DXPhiladeph &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it's that much of a hobby i usually dont mind being in debt for it...

you're all righ the best way in life is to buy ONLY WHAT YOU HAVE THE MONEY FOR...

sometimes its fun to do it the hard way...

he gets to drive around a cool car... he'll still be paying car payments for it... but half of americans are lmao....

its not necessarily a financial move buying a car IMO, its a hobby...

but in all logical ways you're all right... he should pay it off...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, well no matter what anyone says, im purchasing a car with loaned money.

now, i should find out what will be better. buying an s and swapping in a b16 and turboing it... or buying a vtec and turboing it and putting the extra money towards other mods.

hell, will 5000 be able to pay for a b16 swap and turbo kit? im not so sure about that.. because a decent kit runs 2500, and a b16 swap runs 2000, thats 4500.. i still have to pay for all the supporting mods...

how much boost can a stock b16 take?
Old 04-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (jbell)

Buy this Sol for $6k and already have a great start:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=657437
Old 04-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrewerHatch)

b18c1 in a del sol wont be enough. I have a DB with a b18c1 with bolt-ons, and it's not enough. I dont think an ITR engine would be enough either...unless the said motors were to be boosted.

Currently I've been thinking about going h22 for a more oomph to start with. Maybe you can find an SI model (d16z6, right), and boost that...see where that takes you. GL.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Proposed Del Sol Plans. Anyone knowledgeable, please look over and provide insight... (jbell)

Get S Model. You don't want someone elses raped VTEC motor. Keep the S changeover around incase you blow or mess up your new swap. Then take your money and purchase a B18C1 changeover and bore it over to 84mm. Start with a good base and then go from there.

just my two cents
Old 04-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Proposed Del Sol Plans. Anyone knowledgeable, please look over and provide insight... (Cnote)

why b18c1 over b16a2? wouldn't that break the budget if i wanted to go turbo?
Old 04-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For real, buy the Sol I linked and mod it more with the $5500. Already has the B18C1
Old 04-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Proposed Del Sol Plans. Anyone knowledgeable, please look over and provide insight... (BrewerHat

maybe i will if its still for sale once i sell my car.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Proposed Del Sol Plans. Anyone knowledgeable, please look over and provide insight... (BrewerHat

go s model, dont waste your money on a vtec engine. buy an LS for 1000 or so, turbo that mother up to 12 or so PSI, your good to go. that should run you aroun 3500. then use the rest for suspension and ish...

thats what id do. youll get the torque of the 1.8l and LS is perfect for turbo right from the get-go.

gl man
Old 04-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civboy115 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go s model, dont waste your money on a vtec engine. buy an LS for 1000 or so, turbo that mother up to 12 or so PSI, your good to go. that should run you aroun 3500. then use the rest for suspension and ish...

thats what id do. youll get the torque of the 1.8l and LS is perfect for turbo right from the get-go.

gl man </TD></TR></TABLE>

what can the ls take on the stock block?

Quick Reply: Proposed Del Sol Plans. Anyone knowledgeable, please look over and provide insight...