Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away)

I don't think there ever was a topic on Progress Rear sway Bar(22mm) "product" update and upgrade. I've been using the Rear sway bar for quite some time now(almost 5 years) and decided to see how it's been holding up. So, I decided to dismantle to see how each parts were holding up on the abuse.

First off, all of the bushing were like crap. They are urethane but felt like normal rubber bushings. Majority of the washers were all bent like crowns. The I-D bushings were all smashed down to pretty much where they were just like holding the sway bar in place but weren't rotating. Both long nut and bolt assembly broke in half when I removed them.

If you look carefully the I-D bracket on the left, it was totally bent and wasn't working properly under cornering weight loads.

At this point I decided to get some replacement parts at a local Autozone. I went and purchased few things....
Energy suspension ID bracket kit (9.5158RC, $14.99), Energy suspension End link kit (9.8120R: $13.99), and Valvoline Multi-purpose Grease($2.99). The new Energy suspension Bracket and end-links are much beefier than the one that were provided by Progress.

After cleaning some of the old parts, I started assembling the new parts onto the car....When installing the new brackets, you must bolt it down up "High" as possible or-else there wont be clearance between the sway bar and the LCA.

After test driving with the new bushings, the car feels more livelier. I could actually feel a little more stiffness and over-steer. It does feel alot smoother now that the sway bar is properly operating by taking the corner weight loads. There are also other benefits with the new brackets....before, you had to remove the whole assembly to put the grease into the bushings. Now I could just use a grease gun and squeeze it into the nipple of the bracket.

Modified by JunY at 12:14 AM 1/5/2006
Old 01-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what hell, how come the sway bar kit for ep doesn't come in that color? well anyways do you feel that you can take corners at higher speed w/out tires screeching. thanks.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HKSuperSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HKSuperSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what hell, how come the sway bar kit for ep doesn't come in that color? well anyways do you feel that you can take corners at higher speed w/out tires screeching. thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just as a reference, I drive a 99 Civic Coupe.

This Color sway bar was one of the first ones made from progress. If you look at the brackets and stuff....it might not look like the ones that they sell now.

Oh yeah, I could take corners much easier at higher speeds, it's more noticeable because the rear end tucks in and feels more stable. The key is the end-links. I was told by my good mechanic to have the rear end-links loose as possible, where the bushings are barely touching. It gives it more travel so the sway-bar could do it's work(mild Over-steer) If you tighten it down too tight(push under-steer), it causes the bar to put all the force and load onto the bracket causing the rear cross member to rip apart.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away) (JunY)

i guess i should get around to buying a sway bar!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away) (b16hatche)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16hatche &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess i should get around to buying a sway bar! </TD></TR></TABLE>

You should. It makes hell of a difference when taking a corner. It doesn't feel like your floating on air anymore after installed. If you do get it, Rear end-links should be loose, and front end-links tight as possible(over-steer settings). That's how mine is currently.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away) (JunY)

Energy Suspension bushings kick ***! I love their customer service too.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away) (Draggin99Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Draggin99Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Energy Suspension bushings kick ***! I love their customer service too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I really like there stuff too. But I have a little doubt on there 'longevity' claims. The bushings that came with Progress are Energy suspension also but obviously it didn't last me quite as long as I expected.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:36 PM

whats this energy suspension's site? I've always just used rubber because I've felt that there needs to be some degree of give.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away) (wushubrian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wushubrian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats this energy suspension's site? I've always just used rubber because I've felt that there needs to be some degree of give. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You've got to be kidding me right?

http://www.energysuspension.com/
Old 01-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive got ES motor inserts and shifter bushings....i love them. definately getting some more of them when i decide to start on the suspension of the car.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away) (bluemax189)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bluemax189 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive got ES motor inserts and shifter bushings....i love them. definately getting some more of them when i decide to start on the suspension of the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also do have ES motor inserts, spring insulators, bump stops, and etc. My next plan is to probably get the ES hyper Flex kit and Eibach Coilover's.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:29 AM

I just inspected my Progress bar after 2 years when installed new shocks this weekend and everything was in great shape.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away) (undertheradar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undertheradar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just inspected my Progress bar after 2 years when installed new shocks this weekend and everything was in great shape.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lucky you. Earlier today, this time, I checked the front end....IT WAS EVEN WORSE~!!! Everything was barely hanging on. I had to do the same thing as the rear. Replace the I-D bushings and the end links again. Now the car Corners like a mad man.

I think where I live, by the beach, really kills everything on my car.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice write up. I like to see that five years and you didn't rip the subframe. I was going to install my sway bar but i kept hearing horror stories of ripped subframes and how i need to weld-in the braket.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most urethane bushings have to be maintained periodically. In other words, you have to get that nice *** grease that comes with the installation kit, and reapply it every few weeks or so depending on your application. Those grease nipples you have now are going to make life easy.

It looks like you might have overtorqued everything on the initial installation.

Progress has different hardware now. Only had mine about a year now.

Good post.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away) (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vintech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice write up. I like to see that five years and you didn't rip the subframe. I was going to install my sway bar but i kept hearing horror stories of ripped subframes and how i need to weld-in the braket. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Now you know it's possible to drive with it without breaking the subframe. Oh yeah, I didn't weld in the brackets if you look closely.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most urethane bushings have to be maintained periodically. In other words, you have to get that nice *** grease that comes with the installation kit, and reapply it every few weeks or so depending on your application. Those grease nipples you have now are going to make life easy.

It looks like you might have overtorqued everything on the initial installation.

Progress has different hardware now. Only had mine about a year now.

Good post.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't install it first when I got it. A shop did it for me. But now, I just do most of the work myself because I have the tools and knowledge. Will at least now I have some stuff 'Fresh' it should be okay for another while.

Oh yeah, thanks. I just wanted show the truth behind some products.

Modified by JunY at 12:59 AM 1/4/2006
Old 01-04-2006, 01:32 PM

I didn't weld the top bracket hole either, just used some beefy bolts and locknuts and oversized washers.

The Progress bar is one of the only sway bars that are designed so that subframe tear out doesn't even factor in.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away) (undertheradar)

Here's more on the front....

Like the rear, the Front bushing was puny and weak.

Removed and cleaned parts of the area.

The Bracket had to be modified a little to fit into position.

The stock end-links, I had a little trouble with. I was expecting the stock nut and Bolt assembly would work but was a hair short(4 1/2"). So I went to Home-depot and purchased a grade "8" 3/8" x 5" bolt in place of it. For the center spacer, I used four washers to make up for the space because I didn't feel like cutting and grinding a piece of small tube.

The car now does less work for more turns. The changes now keep the wheel on the ground and I could feel the tires griping the ground more. While braking, you could actually feel it a little more stable too.

Conclusion: there's less useless movements, handles alot better for less effort, and more of a neutral feel(under and over-steer) into any corner, while braking into or accelerating out of the corner.

I would have to inspect the modified I-D brackets again next week to see if it's holding up.

Modified by JunY at 11:44 PM 1/4/2006
Old 01-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's tight

Good job man
Old 01-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The_General)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The_General &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's tight

Good job man </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. There's more to come.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JunY)

Excellent post! Thank you very much. I have a Progress bar sitting in my closet and just havn't gotten around to installing it. After seeing your post I may just buy the ES brackets and bushings because of the zerk fitting.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sparkles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sparkles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Excellent post! Thank you very much. I have a Progress bar sitting in my closet and just havn't gotten around to installing it. After seeing your post I may just buy the ES brackets and bushings because of the zerk fitting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, I think it's a well worth investment spending for new ES I-D bracket and bushings. I mean....come on....you saw the pics above of the ones that are provided by Progress. Very thin and weak.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I say "Pin me"
Old 01-04-2006, 04:49 PM

i cant see any of the pics besides the front one. is the sway bar teal. my bro has a progress sway bar from a long time ago, and today i decided id look under to see hows its doing cuz i wanna trade it for my suspension tecqnique one, the right mount that links to the car broke
Old 01-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97spooncivic)

Are you using Firefox? because I cant see any pics myself on Firefox. I cant figure it out myself either why it's not showing. Use IE to view it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cant see any of the pics besides the front one. is the sway bar teal. my bro has a progress sway bar from a long time ago, and today i decided id look under to see hows its doing cuz i wanna trade it for my suspension tecqnique one, the right mount that links to the car broke </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the rear one is Teal.

Quick Reply: Progress Rear Sway bar/5-Year update and upgrade(56k's stay away)