Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problems after misshift/over rev

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems after misshift/over rev

Ive posted a couple weeks ago about misshifting and over revving so here it goes. It turns out there are 2 exhaust valves were slightly bent on a h22 because of over revving. Valves were replaced, head gaskets were replaced, and valves were adjusted. After all that, when you rev the motor, you can hear like a whinning noise. It sounds like its coming from the timing belt. What do you guys think the problem is? It also doesnt run the same as it used to...
Old 07-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problems after misshift/over rev (dxhatch93)

In my personal experiences i've had a couple of over revs due to misshifts, maybe up to 8000 rpm (on a 7200 redline)...never had any problems dur to it thought, i checked everything a couple of weeks back, and everything was ok, since then no misshitts

Maybe you had the new parts installed incorrectlly, the whinnin noise can be caused do to a air leak...im a n00b though just what I think if im wrong sorry, hoping to hear more opinions about the subject
Old 07-01-2003, 07:45 PM
H-T Poker champion

2 of your valves were bent? Your engine is fucked up. Just replacing the valves will most likely not undo the damage you have done to your engine. for misshifting.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:49 PM
eeekay

Default Re: problems after misshift/over rev (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

There is this think called an "accident." Yea he is human and so are you.

And that doesn't mean his "engine is fucked up." For someone that has over 2000 posts, I doubt you put any input into your posts.

And to the creator of the topic, we would probably need more info. What side of the motor is the "whining" coming from? Did you double check to make sure the other valves weren't bent? Compression tested? Is the timing belt too tight?

Modified by eeekay at 5:06 AM 7/2/2003
Old 07-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The whining noise is because your timing belt is really tight; if you don't like it, readjust it. Personally, I like my timing belt to sing
Old 07-01-2003, 07:51 PM

A buddy of mine claims to have missed a shift on my D15b7.

That was the result. Dropped valve.
So I have to think something beyond what you found (bent valves) is damaged.
The guides?
The singing whine is the timing belt. Like mentioned above.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problems after misshift/over rev (Eee Pee)

thanks for the input guys. ill be sure to have the timing belt checked. That big hole in ur motor looks crazy oh yea and one more question. If the timing belt is too tight, can you tell the difference when driving it? meaning is there a difference in performance?

Modified by dxhatch93 at 6:42 AM 7/2/2003
Old 07-01-2003, 10:34 PM

My guess is that your valves may have done the river dance on your pistons. You might want to check that out.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe more drag on the engine from the belt being. too tight. but for the most part, you won't notice a difference. my belt is too tight also and it makes a blower noise.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:06 PM

Default Re: problems after misshift/over rev (hatchback19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchback19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My guess is that your valves may have done the river dance on your pistons. You might want to check that out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

River Dance lol OMG thats funny...have to remember that one.

This just happened to a buddy of mine with a B18B and drag turbo...anyways replaced some bent valves and you could actually see a couple light taps on one of the pistons.

Been a few months since he did that and the car goes like mad still...
Old 07-02-2003, 08:13 PM

Default Re: problems after misshift/over rev (RangerDan)

Yea that happened to my friends DSM a few months back. The valves did a dance on number 1 and an encore presentation on 3 and 4! Expensive showing to say the least!
Old 07-02-2003, 11:10 PM
tangb2023

Default Re: problems after misshift/over rev (hatchback19)

or it could just be one of your pully belts, a/c , alt. etc... u might not have tighten them back up after the valve job...
Old 07-03-2003, 10:01 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: problems after misshift/over rev (eeekay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eeekay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is this think called an "accident." Yea he is human and so are you.

And that doesn't mean his "engine is fucked up." For someone that has over 2000 posts, I doubt you put any input into your posts.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is something called "knowing how to drive." Yes he is human, but so am I.. And i have never misshifted.

When you misshift like he did it puts horrible strain on your whole motor. Getting out of something like that with simply a few "bent valves" is VERY lucky. I was simply stating that his engine is probably a little more damaged than he thinks. He said it does not perform like it used to, and this would not be the result of a "tight timing belt."

As for the input of my posts.. I have helped out many people. At least i give advice and answer questions when i flame. This happens to be a pet peve of mine, so when i hear: "oh i misshifted help me." i get pist because that means the person cannot drive and is out redlining the **** out of his car and risking the lives of everyone else on the road. If you wanna drive it like a race car than take it to the track and LEARN HOW. That is all.

No offense to the creator of this post. I just hate the whole misshifting thing.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:30 AM

It's blind comments like "missshifting puts a horrible strain on your motor" without presenting any factual information on how it actually puts a horrible strain on the motor, that start stupid rumors like " H22 civic swaps will have horrible and deadly understeer." If this is true why don't you tell us about the strain it puts on the motor and not just some vague comment?

MANY good drivers misshift it happens, nobody is perfect.

When did he say he was street racing??? Since he never said he was then how is he endangering anyone's lives???

Old 07-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I misshifted at the track by hitting my instructors leg on my way in to 5th. Went in to 3rd, felt the pressure on the clutch and caught it around 7k rpms thank god.

Am I a bad driver because of this? I guess not, because I was moved up to intermediate afterwards - my 1st track event and I had only been driving manual for a month.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there are two kinds of drivers in the world. Ones that have misshifted, and ones that will.

-Sketch
Old 07-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

everyone ***** up sooner or later....... whether it be a wreck or misshift or whatever. lighten up critics
Old 07-03-2003, 11:31 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: problems after misshift/over rev (uncle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uncle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's blind comments like "missshifting puts a horrible strain on your motor" without presenting any factual information on how it actually puts a horrible strain on the motor, that start stupid rumors like " H22 civic swaps will have horrible and deadly understeer." If this is true why don't you tell us about the strain it puts on the motor and not just some vague comment?

MANY good drivers misshift it happens, nobody is perfect.

When did he say he was street racing??? Since he never said he was then how is he endangering anyone's lives???

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are aware of what redline / rpm is for, right? When an engine is limited to a certain rpm range, it is for a reason. When you car goes thousands of rpms higher than that limit any number of things can go wrong. I'm not gonna waste my time by explaining what most people already know can go wrong when you missshift.

I never said accidents don't happen. Yes misshifts happen to good drivers every now and then, but if you are not good enough at driving manuel to know how to shift, then you have no business redlining any gear or powershifting. How hard is going from 3 - 4? Come on.. You pull strait down. Being realistic, anyone who knows how to drive will never misshift from 3 - 2 and send pistons through his hood.

Yes, sometime even i hit the leg of a passanger, but I know enough to know not to let the clutch out if I'm not sure it went all the way into gear or into the correct gear. You should be able to feel when you are in the correct gear from the way you shifted.

No, he never said he was "street racing", but in order to misshift and send the rpms through the roof you really have to be high up in the rpm range. Therefor, i can only assume that he was redlining first and second, which then sends a thought through my mind: "he must have been attempting to drive fast, either racing a car or racing the clock."
Old 07-03-2003, 01:45 PM

Exactly. Blind comment just as I said before. How can you say most of the time misshifting pass the stock redline will do more damage then a few bent valves??? You can't because you don't know what the **** you are talking about. Oh worse CAN happen yes that is true but that's not what I asked you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, he never said he was "street racing", but in order to misshift and send the rpms through the roof you really have to be high up in the rpm range. Therefor, i can only assume that he was redlining first and second, which then sends a thought through my mind: "he must have been attempting to drive fast, either racing a car or racing the clock." </TD></TR></TABLE>

Whaat? You said he was endangering everyone's lives because he was street racing. Your a ****** idiot.

You know what they say when you assume.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your timing. Sometime when you do head work you can have the timing belt off by one tooth. This can affect performance and shouldnt be too hard to check.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:08 PM
H-T Poker champion

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uncle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Exactly. Blind comment just as I said before. How can you say most of the time misshifting pass the stock redline will do more damage then a few bent valves??? You can't because you don't know what the **** you are talking about. Oh worse CAN happen yes that is true but that's not what I asked you.

Whaat? You said he was endangering everyone's lives because he was street racing. Your a ****** idiot.

You know what they say when you assume.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL.. you are a moron.. I'm not even gonna keep trying to prove anything to you.. Get the stick out of your ***.. e-thug boy.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:13 PM
saso

I have gone 1,2,1st many times in my race car. My mechanic who is also an Ace driver has also done this. Couple times we have done damage but it happens because of the gearbox. $hit happens we all make mistakes.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:38 PM

Soooooooooooo, how is he endangering everybody's lives??? Tell me please. You're not going to try??? Because you don't know what the **** you are talking about. Tell me anything give any facts that would be very helpful, oh wait you don't have any because you are an e-bitch. That's why you're at 95% punk ***. Post some facts, or tech if you will.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:31 AM
H-T Poker champion

Here is a fact: Shifting is part of driving. (Can't shift.. Can't..?)
Here is another fact: Over Reving from a misshift CAN mean ANY NUMBER of things could go wrong. I said he would be lucky if it was a few bent valves. I'm not gonna try and diagnose his problem. Yah i can say any number of things COULD be wrong, but what good would that do? I WOULD STILL BE ASSUMING. He said his engine does not perform like it used to. NO ****. What do you expect?

If you are so damn smart go ahead and waste your time listing the countless problems that could have occured from his misshift. Oh thats right.. You probably don't know **** about cars, which is why you are getting so pist that i wont list the possible problems, because YOU DONT KNOW THEM.

You are being a little bitch because i wont waste my time trying to solve a problem that can have any number of causes, BUT WHAT HAVE YOU ADDED TO THIS THREAD BESIDES A PISSING CONTEST? THATS RIGHT: JACK ****. Nice work.

If shifting is part of driving, and he is ******* that up. Then I can only ASSUME that his control of the car is lacking. Which means: I don't want him driving on the streets thinking he can drive fast and remain in control just to have him slam into me or one of my family/friends. Argue all you want, but I'm officially done with this thread because you are a hard headed *******.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:06 AM

Oh I wouldn't of posted in this thread had it not been for your pitiful posts, that's my reasoning. I don't post on here unless for the most part I am helping someone, not bringing them down for no reason.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you are so damn smart go ahead and waste your time listing the countless problems that could have occured from his misshift. Oh thats right.. You probably don't know **** about cars, which is why you are getting so pist that i wont list the possible problems, because YOU DONT KNOW THEM.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's P-I-S-S-E-D and I'm not getting pissed I just think it's funny that you can pick on someone for no reason and don't expect anyone to stand up for them.

AND you Assumed he was street racing which he wasn't and that's what that mean't so don't try to twist it around like you did.

Sometimes you can only assume when it comes to tech related answers on here there's no other way I wasn't arguing that.

AND How was he endangering everyone's lives???

Quick Reply: problems after misshift/over rev