Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem Starting D16z6 P28

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Starting Question

My 93 civic Si d16z6 can not start. I checked to see if theres spark and fuel. Yes it has both. I tried jumping the ECU and i got the code 6,10,20. I thought maybe the ECU may have problems. So i tried to reset it by unplugging the battery. And hooking the battery back up. Still no start. I tried to jump the ECU again and this time around the CEL is solid and doesnt flash at all. Not main relay for sure because I have 5 spare ones and i tried it and still no start. The Fuel Pump primes whenever i turn the key to on.

I check to make sure the ECU is getting enough ground because I had an ECU ground problem before. And the mechanic told me that the ECU was having bad grounds. I can think of 3 places where the ECU uses as ground. The main one is on top of the T Stat, second one is where the chassis is hook up to the tranny, last is where ground is on top of the power steering pump. I even went and clean the ground to get a better contact. But still no start. So is it true that if there is no problem detected by the ECU the CEL would stay solid when i jump it?

So what do you think the problem maybe. I even changed the dizzy and injectors with a good one and still no start. Maybe the spark plug wires?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Problem Starting Question (hmtcrxsir)

hey just wondeing if u checked the ground for the engine(from chassie to motor) and battery(to chassie) an dif thats not it check all ur fuses my (89 si d16z6) did that b4 and it was just the starter silionoid valve fuse( and if tht dont work check all the wires to the starter make sure all the connections are clean.. and if that dont work ur starter could be defective or ur battery could just be dead.

oh and make sure u have the the proper firing order. and that ur cam and #1 piston are set properly.

hope this helps a bit. ill try figure some other stuff out.. just write me if u need nething else.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what abvout a bad wires?
most probably a car has been in accident...and the wires are in contact with chasis!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Problem Starting Question (KLiK)

well first off the original post should have said if the car was in a accident or not, and sense it didn't mention that i assumed that it wasn't. but yes that is true to that u might have a fire(power) wire split and is grounding out on the chasi very rare, but is possible. never seen it happen b4 tho accept for the batter grounding on the hood. well i just woke up so can't really answer anything right now.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem Starting Question (konka)

yeah i checked the ground from battery to chassis, ground wire to t stat housing, and the other one on top of the power steering. I even sand them down to make sure that they are secure and properly getting the connection. No the car has never been into any accident as Konka stated. I mean theres nothing wrong with the starter. THe starter cranks really hard but no start. As I mention before, it is getting proper fuel and ignition. I will check compression and timing next. If the battery was bad, the car should start when i jump start the car.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:21 PM

well if the car cranks but no start.. and u said theres proper fuel and fire...maybe the ignitor(little box in the dizzy with 3 wires hooked to it. ) is done. or maybe dead plugs. but all u said still leaves me to think its the timing. cuz the only way ur car wont start is if u have 2 or more dead cyclinders. my car ran on 2 b4 ran like crap but it still ran. so id retime the cam and crank b4 checking the cyclinders..
Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem Starting Question (konka)

how can the igniter be bad if its providing spark?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:23 PM

man i just just giving advise. plus i just woke up when i read so i repeated what i was saying.. dont make sense but anyway, just retime the cam and crank. but like u said if theres spark and fuel it could only be the timing if the car cranks but dont start. or a faulty ecu. depends there could be alot of reasons, but im still going with the timing for now. it might have just jumped a notch or 2.