Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

PROBLEM putting in new clutch...HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 PROBLEM putting in new clutch...HELP PLEASE!

Hey all, i have a 92 civic LX. i am doing a automatic to manual conversion on my daily driver... i have 3 more days off But i got a new remanufactured flywheel, bolted it on, everything was fine. I have an OEM Exedy Clutch kit, and i put the disc on with the alignment tool through it into the pilot bearing, put the pressure plate over it onto the flywheel, but it's TOO THICK! the pressure plate barely goes over the 3 dowels in the flywheel, and theres a 1/4 inch gap between the pressure plate and the flywheel. Is this a normal occurence? will the pressure plate tighten down once i start tightening the bolts, or will it not work? i have looked up my part numbers for the clutch and everything is listed for my car. PLEASE HELP SOON!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PROBLEM putting in new clutch...HELP PLEASE!

No the pressure plate should go on befor u put the bolts thro try to spin to the other hole of the pressure plate and see the dowels fit......it should fit in there befor u tighten the bolts
Old 07-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The dowels are all lined up...it's that the pressure plate won't go all the way on the flywheel...if i take the pressure plate and clutch disk and put them upside down on the workbench, the disk sticks up 1/4 inch above the top of the pressure plate.

Top of clutch disk ---> ____________________

Top of pressure plate---> |-----------------------------|

That's kind of an exaggeration, like i said it's 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch above it.

So the pressure plate is supposed to fully connect with the flywheel before i even start tightening bolts? what will happen if i just throw it together how it is?
Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not trying to tell u doing it wrong but is the disc in there right
Old 07-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there should be a little gap. At least that's how it was on 3 D series engines I've worked on.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: PROBLEM putting in new clutch...HELP PLEASE!

ok sweet...thanks thumper. i went ahead and very carefully tightened them all little by little, in a diagonal pattern, and they all tightened down. i got them snugged, torqued them to 19 ft. lbs. with threadlocker, hopefully it'll work. the forks on the pressure plate are pretty much flat now, so we'll see how or if it works. Thanks for your help guys, and ill post up when i get the rest of this conversion done and let you all know how it went.