Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problem with oil drain plut and washer

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with oil drain plut and washer

Hey guys so I recently did my oil change and the oil plug used to leak a little but now its leaking a ton and it's not an OEM drain plug its bigger than the oversize ones they have at my local pepboys. A 3/8's socket fits onto it(I know its not metric but its all I have) and I believe it says 1.5 on it not entirely sure and I cannot find a good metal washer for it also does anyone have a link for the correct washer/drain plug combo on eBay or something? Any info is awesome thanks fellas I also want a magnetic version and I feel like it would help
Old 12-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problem with oil drain plut and washer

oil filters at the dealer come with a washer for 25 cents extra. go to the dealer and get some washers. also the drain plug should be a 17mm and a rule of thumb for bolts is, the head is 1.5 times bigger then the thread size. you need a 12mm washer. 10mm head is 6mm thread, 12mm head is 8mm thread, 14mm head is 10mm thread, etc, etc.......
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They charged me 1.00 for the stupid washer this one time I went to get my oil filter and it ended up being too small for the plug. I bought an oversize plug at pepboys and it was too small but I used the plastic washer it.came with on my current one and it fit but sill leaks because of it I believe
Old 12-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill order the washer from eBay thanks for the size tip
Old 12-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else got some help?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you have an oversized hole for your drain plug, don't know what size it is, and evidently lost your current drain plug, but expect to be able to find a replacement without this basic information?

You have three realistic options. Option A, the best option, is to replace your oil pan. It'll get your OEM plug, bolt, and thread size back, and assuming the leak is in fact from the plug, will fix the problem. Option B is to retap the hole again, and feed a new bolt into it. This is the worst option, especially since it's already been done once. There's a good chance you don't have enough material to tap into. There's supposed to be a bung there - if there isn't a bung, or you've already tapped to the edge of the bung, you need to replace the oil pan. Option C is the middle ground - get a die and tap set, or a shitload of bolts of varying size and thread pitch. Figure out which one fits the hole without leaking. Considering the size, it'll probably be too long - trim it down with a Dremel.

In all seriousness though, your oil pan situation sounds like it's already hacked to ****. Replace the oil pan with one from a junk yard and call it a day. You'll be safer, and assuming your diagnosis is correct, it's a guaranteed fix.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could always drain all your oil out, use some brake cleaner, then put a bead of rtv sealer around the drain pan bolt after you torqued it down. wait 15 minutes before you put oil in it
Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm stuck because I've been to the pickapart down my.street and I've only seen one.d16y8 and I didn't have any money to buy the oil pan or else i would have but I doubt it's still there now. I hadn't lost it its just leaking terribly but I guess Ill have to go and get one from Ontario or.something thanks guys