Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

PROBLEM: no start in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM: no start in cold weather

I know this topic has been posted several times, but none have come to a good conclusion to solve my problem.

When it's REALLY cold ~30degF, my car has instantaneous loss of ELECTRICAL power...scenario: when driving at 45mph, my radio would go out for 1/10 fo a second. At first I thought the CD was skipping, but I noticed my lights would go out as well **NOTE, I never had to enter the radio's security code.

Absolutely no hinder of a loss in power, the car keeps its speed.

That was last winter...last night, however, it got to 30degrees F, and this morning it cranks like normal, and all accessories work-the fuel pump buzzes with the key at I, but it will not fire up...wtf.

This is a bone stock 95 EG8 with a short ram air intake and auto tranny. Nothing has been swapped...but I did replace the radiator last weekend but bolted the factory fan and switch to the unit.

It was raining all day yesterday too, so I don't know if something got wet that should't have this is the first time it's ever failed to start.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PROBLEM: no start in cold weather (EGunmetal8)

hmm...check your charging system,battery and as well as your battery connections first
Old 01-13-2007, 09:21 PM

check if your battery is secured, it happened to me once, my big *** power cable for my amp had a a big connector and my battery was rocking so everytime i shift my car the connector grounds out onto the firewall... check for loose connections, condition of your wires, your chassis ground...etc gl
Old 01-13-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: PROBLEM: no start in cold weather (NA_H22_Ej)

I've checked the connections, cleaned the terminals, and no change...I'm thinking some relay is not acting right...other(similar) posts point to the main relay...looking at the haynes diagram, the main relay has a link to the fuel pump-which i doubt is the issue...5 wires running to the ECU, and one going to Junction connection C125-which provides power to the Purge Control Solenoid, EACV, and all injectors...

I just tried starting it with 50% gas, and that little vibration isn't there-you know when your battery's low and the damn thing barely turns over when some fuel gets squirted in the cylinder and it barely gets compressed--that little vibration not there!!

Can the fuel pump be working with the key on RUN, but cut out when it's on START???
Old 01-15-2007, 07:11 PM

So I started checking voltage to the main relay, and the fuel pump was getting its 10v while cranking, and everything else proved sound.

Then it hit me, not only was it cold the previous day, but while I was running errands my open air filter had gotten WET.

I removed it, cleaned it off a bit, and after blow-drying my car started right up...it's been even colder today and I have had no issues with it-a dirty/wet air filter was the last thing on my mind. I'm thoroughly washing it and re-oiling as soon as the kit comes in.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a loose ground.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Throwdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm...check your charging system,battery and as well as your battery connections first</TD></TR></TABLE> agreed