Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problem with F pump led to more issues, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with F pump led to more issues, HELP

I have a 97 honda civic the smaller engine

I was driving down the road low on gas and my car just died, thought i ran out of gas, refueled with the help of a friend, car still wouldnt start, towed it to house got to looking and the fuel pump fuse under the hood was blown, i replaced it, tried to start it again blew again, replaced the relay in the dash behind glove compartment, tried again, same thing. that's my first problem, maybe a bad wire somewhere? anyone know where to start looking?

second problem
i ran wires from the battery to a toggle switch to the fuel pump. hoping i could at least get it to run with it being rigged, is this a bad idea? anyway i tried to start it from there and it rotates but wont turn over, again. fuel filter is getting fuel but i replaced it anyway then tried to start it again and nothing. i checked the plug wires and it doesnt seem like its getting any fire, theres no bridging when i put the screw driver down there and to a ground. could these problems be related? maybe the dizzy is the second problem, could the first problem have something to do with running out of gas? maybe the first problem led to blowing something in the dizzy?

my email is lameiconoclast@aim.com

Last edited by 97civic07gsxr; 12-26-2008 at 05:26 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the type of car
Old 12-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problem with F pump led to more issues, HELP

The first thing I would do is remove all the getto wiring you just did and return things to normal. Then I would look at why the fuel pump keeps blowing the fuses. The first test to do would be to unplug the fuel pump and replace the fuse, turn the ign on, if the fuse blows its not the fuel pump. If the fuses dosen't blow then you have a problem with the pump. Also make sure that if someone installed a fuel pump kill switch that the wiring on it is correct. All conections should be soldered or crimp connectors, use heatsrink to protect the connections and not electrical tape you are only asking for problems later on. I bet you will find that once you return your wiring to normal the no spark problem will be fixed. If not then you might have created more problems for yourself and you will have to troublem shoot that also.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:08 AM

Default Re: problem with F pump led to more issues, HELP

well see i replaced the fuel pump with a new one and it still didnt work so i returned the new one because i am broke, if i recall though it did blow the fuse without being plugged into the pump, nevertheless i checked the female plug going to the pump from the relay with a meter and it was getting no power, but i def appriciate the help ill fix it back up, ive been meaning to anyway i dind't like the idea but i was desperate (didnt get me anyhere though)