Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem after cleaning throttle body.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Problem after cleaning throttle body.

I have a 1997 d16y7 hatch. I started my car until it warmed up then I turned it off. I took off my intake and filter. I was planning to take off a piece of the intake marked in red color so I disconnected the wire that is circled in green.

I couldn't figure how to remove it so I just left it there and plugged that wire back.
I used this to clean the butter fly valve. I sprayed it in the TB all around and then wiped it with a shop rag. I opened the butterfly valve and sprayed it again and wiped all over and some of the liquid dripped down into the manifold so I dip the rag inside to soak up some of the liquid. After that, I put my intake back together and started my car. It wouldn't start imediatley and felt like I was out of gas, so I tried again, stepped on the gas peddle and it started and I revved it up and let go to idle, it was about to stall but it didn't. My check engine light is on so I thought it would go away if I drove it for a while so I got on the highway and gunned it VROOOM!!! BWAAAHHH!! jk it doesn't have vtec lol. My CEL is still on! I have an inspection soon and I need to pass D; How will I get rid of it? Help?

Here's some picture after I cleaned it just to look at.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Problem after cleaning throttle body.

How about get the CEL checked so you will know what code to fix? Or just guess

Crappy starting/idling at first was probably because you just sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner down your intake.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone needs to read the stickies.

How to check CELs

Reset your ECU. If the CEL comes back, do what the above thread says and get back to us.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

By the way, there's a large hose clamp at the base of the black intake. This clamps secures the black box to the throttle body (TB). By loosening the screw on the clamp, the black box lifts straight off the TB. This makes cleaning the TB much easier.

As mentioned, reset the ECU to see whether the CEL comes back on or stays off.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Someone needs to read the stickies.

How to check CELs

Reset your ECU. If the CEL comes back, do what the above thread says and get back to us.
Lol! I sort of skimmed through that even before posting this thread. I should really read it thoroughly next time. I disconnected the battery and now it's gone! Thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
By the way, there's a large hose clamp at the base of the black intake. This clamps secures the black box to the throttle body (TB). By loosening the screw on the clamp, the black box lifts straight off the TB. This makes cleaning the TB much easier.

As mentioned, reset the ECU to see whether the CEL comes back on or stays off.
I see the clamp now, I couldn't really figure out where the screw to loosen it so I was afraid to break it, maybe I was just frustrating to much. Thanks though!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KKRIS
Lol! I sort of skimmed through that even before posting this thread. I should really read it thoroughly next time. I disconnected the battery and now it's gone! Thanks!
Pretty typical after cleaning it to not want to start right up, takes a few tries.

Did you use a lot of spray? sometimes people overdo it.

I am curious what the CEL was for?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
Pretty typical after cleaning it to not want to start right up, takes a few tries.

Did you use a lot of spray? sometimes people overdo it.

I am curious what the CEL was for?
Yes, I did spray A LOT! I should've sprayed on the rag and then whipe around to clean, but instead I sprayed on the edges of the butterfly valve, I opened it and sprayed some more. There were a bunch of fluids dripping down into the intake manifold, but I managed to get rid of some. I guess the light came on because there were to many fluid?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo Kris, this is Zach btw. Anyways, it would also have helped to hook up a blower on the air compressor to blow air down the open throttle body. That would help evaporate the excess throttle body cleaner. And, I feel ya on taking that stupid black box off, those clamps can be a little hard to get at sometimes. Good thing the CEL went off.

Really though, instead of cleaning that throttle body, you should have just got a D16Y8 intake manifold and throttle body, might as well get the head, wiring harness and ecu while your at it! Naaaw, jk man, I know how it is in real life though, usually not so easy to obtain.