Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Premature wear on piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premature wear on piston rings

Here again for my 97 hx coupe. Got the car over a year ago and found out that I had to replace the piston rings in the bottom end. Car would smoke like a train at 4k rpm and above. So I replaced the rings put the motor back together and the car did fine for a while year and some months then I had a big whole in the exhaust that I believe caused me to burn a valve a had a bad misfire on cylinder 4. So one night I was heading home and my timing belt snapped so I decided to replace the head instead of replacing just the valve. So as I pulled the head off I noticed that my number 2 piston had some play in the cylinder. You could rock the piston back and forth but it wasn't much so I figured that I would have to replace the rings again. My question is why should I have to replace the rings again so early its just been a year and some months. I do daily the car and it's smoking again at 4k and oil on the rear bumper (was doing that the first time also). I clocked the rings I cleaned the pistons off I did the break in process. It was good for a whole year
Old 06-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Premature wear on piston rings

A lot of these engines are interference motors, meaning that damage will occur when a timing belt snaps while in motion...
If that piston made contact with a valve(s) it may have caused damage.
Also, when you did the piston re-ring, did you measure piston to wall clearances, properly hone all the cylinders and properly gap the rings?
Old 06-01-2018, 10:20 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Burning oil, loss of oil, bearings probably weren't getting sufficient oil to lub, oil pump probably not doing its job either.

Verify oil pressure
verify main and piston ring bearings are oKKK.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah them piston ring bearings thooooo
Old 06-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOCK8732
Here again for my 97 hx coupe. Got the car over a year ago and found out that I had to replace the piston rings in the bottom end. Car would smoke like a train at 4k rpm and above. So I replaced the rings put the motor back together and the car did fine for a while year and some months then I had a big whole in the exhaust that I believe caused me to burn a valve a had a bad misfire on cylinder 4. So one night I was heading home and my timing belt snapped so I decided to replace the head instead of replacing just the valve. So as I pulled the head off I noticed that my number 2 piston had some play in the cylinder. You could rock the piston back and forth but it wasn't much so I figured that I would have to replace the rings again. My question is why should I have to replace the rings again so early its just been a year and some months. I do daily the car and it's smoking again at 4k and oil on the rear bumper (was doing that the first time also). I clocked the rings I cleaned the pistons off I did the break in process. It was good for a whole year
Another thing that wasn't stated was whether if the cylinder walls were honed.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea the cylinders were honed and new rod bearings but didn't check any clearances. I messed up there. I'm gonna install an oil pressure gauge soon to see what the oil pressure is like but like I said it was good for a whole year. When I took the head off after my timing belt snapped I didn't see any damage from piston hitting valves or anything like that