Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Powersteering Y/N?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powersteering Y/N?

so i just wanted to know how many people on here dont have or dont use powersteering on their rides. my hatch didnt come with it when i picked it up and its not all that easy to turn. i was thinking about buying the system and putting it on but my homie said i shouldnt and that i just gotta get used to it. the hatch is the DD to so just give your opinion. also around how much is a PS set up for a 92 eg?

thanks!
Old 08-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say yes. It doesn't use that much power up and makes things a lot easier in parking lots and parallel parking. I had two Del Sols one with one without. I didn't understand why anyone would want it on one till I got my other one. It's night and day. I feel like I have better control over the car with power steering.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Powersteering Y/N? (eesuh)

I don't have PS on my '97 hatch and it's not that hard to turn, just got to get used to it. If you ask me, I think it's better without PS, then you have a real feel for the road.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:37 AM

Default Re: (NACvicSi)

makes sense. ive only driven it a handful of times but now im getting it preped for paint, but when i did take it out of the driveway it was a bitch. doing left and right turns wasnt to bad but let say doing a turn about or parking was a pain in the ***, im only 16 so im not to muscular either lol. any idea on how much a complete set up would be?
Old 08-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NACvicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say yes. It doesn't use that much power up and makes things a lot easier in parking lots and parallel parking. I had two Del Sols one with one without. I didn't understand why anyone would want it on one till I got my other one. It's night and day. I feel like I have better control over the car with power steering. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Some people claim they can "feel the road" better with no power steering. Others are just ricer idiots that claim it robs too much power and it's "unnecessary weight" on their daily driver - therefore, should be removed. I can understand that logic in a track car but most aren't track cars.

As for me:
If it comes with it, great, keep it on. If it doesn't come with it, I wouldn't go through the work of putting it on, it's not worth the extra $$ nor work to me. Not too sure about being one with the road though..you'll need to ask paul walker about that.

It's been on both my EX's, I see no need to take it off. I guess that's the only way I can reason with those ricer idiots for a daily driver - I'm so much better than them I can feel the road, AND drive in comfort, at the SAME TIME.

Damn I'm good.

EDIT:
I didn't have PS on my camaro...and that weighed almost 2 honda civics - ('67 Z28) - you do get used to it, it's not worth putting it on.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Powersteering Y/N? (rarrior23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rarrior23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't have PS on my '97 hatch and it's not that hard to turn, just got to get used to it. If you ask me, I think it's better without PS, then you have a real feel for the road.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats exactly what my homie told me lol
Old 08-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rarrior23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't have PS on my '97 hatch and it's not that hard to turn, just got to get used to it. If you ask me, I think it's better without PS, <u>then you have a real feel for the road.</u></TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy **** - In the time it took me to hit "reply" and then to hit "post" some jackass is already in here talking about how "he feels the road better."

*sigh*

Sounds like some fast and the furious bullshit to me. I can feel the road fine WITH my power steering. Guess those are just the differences that makes me better than you.

Point = Proven.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if it still has the power rack you aren't really feeling the road. With the correct manual rack you can feel the road some in corners. I could feel this with my EF and Del Sol. However, for everyday driving I would keep it on. If you planned on autoX then I would take it off.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Powersteering Y/N? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Holy **** - In the time it took me to hit "reply" and then to hit "post" some jackass is already in here talking about how "he feels the road better."

*sigh*

Sounds like some fast and the furious bullshit to me. I can feel the road fine WITH my power steering. Guess those are just the differences that makes me better than you.

Point = Proven.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol lets not take shots at other people its just their opinions. but your point in putting it in is to much work sounds reasonable. but depending on the price i might try and get the set up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NACvicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if it still has the power rack you aren't really feeling the road. With the correct manual rack you can feel the road some in corners. I could feel this with my EF and Del Sol. However, for everyday driving I would keep it on. If you planned on autoX then I would take it off.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the guy that sold me the car took it off for an unkown reason i never asked him, and what are these racks that people talk about?
Old 08-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

*sigh*

Point = Proven.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fast and the furious bullshit? Sorry I have an opinion about how PS affects the way the car handles and how I react to it.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NACvicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if it still has the power rack you aren't really feeling the road. With the correct manual rack you can feel the road some in corners. I could feel this with my EF and Del Sol. However, for everyday driving I would keep it on. If you planned on autoX then I would take it off.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that's what I mean - if it's a track car - completely different ball game - but people needing to "feel the road" on their stock B7's on a trip to wal-mart just don't cut it for me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eesuh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol lets not take shots at other people its just their opinions. but your point in putting it in is to much work sounds reasonable. but depending on the price i might try and get the set up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Their opinions suck. They just think it'll boost their ET on their stock B7 .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eesuh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the guy that sold me the car took it off for an unkown reason i never asked him, and what are these racks that people talk about? </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the steering rack, to do a full manual to auto conversion (or vice versa), you need to swap out the power steering rack, and then add (or subract) the pump - or you can leave the pump and loop the lines - seems to be the quick, half-*** fix that's quite popular on H-T.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rarrior23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Fast and the furious bullshit? Sorry I have an opinion about how PS affects the way the car handles and how I react to it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Apology not accepted, change your way of thinking to that of somebody who isn't drag racing their stock civic to pep boys against some old geezer's avalon.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Their opinions suck. They just think it'll boost their ET on their stock B7 .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great thing about opinions is nobody can take it away from you.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rarrior23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rarrior23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Great thing about opinions is nobody can take it away from you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The unfortunate thing about opinions is most people don't have actual, normal, reasoning behind them.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Apology not accepted, change your way of thinking to that of somebody who isn't drag racing their stock civic to pep boys against some old geezer's avalon.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't drag race, it's too easy to just stomp on the gas and go straight. Granted, I have a lot of respect for drag racers because it does take a lot to go that fast in a straight line but it's not for me. Street racing is for dumbasses, I keep it on the autox track.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

The unfortunate thing about opinions is most people don't have actual, normal, reasoning behind them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But it's still their opinion and they're entitled to it. Right or wrong, they're entitled to it and you can't just take that away from them, it's called freedom of speech.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't drag race, it's too easy to just stomp on the gas and go straight. Granted, I have a lot of respect for drag racers because it does take a lot to go that fast in a straight line but it's not for me. Street racing is for dumbasses, I keep it on the autox track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fair enough.

But it's still their opinion and they're entitled to it. Right or wrong, they're entitled to it and you can't just take that away from them, it's called freedom of speech.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right, I can't take it away from them, but I can try to convince them to use normal reasoning to try and formulate a half way normal opinion. Most people don't use normal reasoning and their opinion therefore sucks.

This was about 5 posts down from this topic, Mr. Omega Blaze wants to remove his power steering - the half-assed H-T way, why?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Omega Blaze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To Get rid of the parasitic drag without going throught all of the hassle.
And get down to the bottom of...
will just taking the belt off mess up anything major,
and keep the p/s pump filled up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And I'm willing to bet he has a stock motor that he daily drives. If he did any racing, he wouldn't be asking that question, here. These people infect the H-T community and give Honda owners everywhere a bad name
Old 08-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rarrior23)

people needing to "feel the road" on their stock B7's on a trip to wal-mart just don't cut it for me.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't get it either. I see people doing all sorts of crazy suspension work on their daily driven never tracked Hondas. Like they are going to need to take a hair pin corner at 70mph to go buy some new flip flops or something.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And I'm willing to bet he has a stock motor that he daily drives. If he did any racing, he wouldn't be asking that question, here. These people infect the H-T community and give Honda owners everywhere a bad name</TD></TR></TABLE>

The voice of reason
Old 08-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right, I can't take it away from them, but I can try to convince them to use normal reasoning to try and formulate a half way normal opinion. Most people don't use normal reasoning and their opinion therefore sucks..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll admit a lot of people don't think before they speak, which most of the people on this site do, but it's their right to speak their mind and then be open to advice from other people so the next time they state their opinion it is reasonable and normal.

And I just want to say thanks for being mature about this, half the other people on here would have just started yelling and cursing by now. Props.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NACvicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't get it either. I see people doing all sorts of crazy suspension work on their daily driven never tracked Hondas. Like they are going to need to take a hair pin corner at 70mph to go buy some new flip flops or something. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, don't even get me started on the gems driving around 12k/10k spring rates on their daily drivers.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:00 AM

fair enough. i guess if i come across a PS set up ill pick it up cause my unless i never do and just get used to not having it. either way thanks for the opinions!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll admit a lot of people don't think before they speak, which most of the people on this site do, but it's their right to speak their mind and then be open to advice from other people so the next time they state their opinion it is reasonable and normal.

And I just want to say thanks for being mature about this, half the other people on here would have just started yelling and cursing by now. Props. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's just sad to see so many people closed off from actual reasoning. It's like the whole common sense thing is a rarity or something. If somebody needs to feel the road on their 45mph trip to the supermarket, there's a problem.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's just sad to see so many people closed off from actual reasoning. It's like the whole common sense thing is a rarity or something. If somebody needs to feel the road on their 45mph trip to the supermarket, there's a problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's very true, there are too many people on here putting way too much money in to their DD that will never see track time. It's like common sense went out the window and they're just trying to fit in.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's very true, there are too many people on here putting way too much money in to their DD that will never see track time. It's like common sense went out the window and they're just trying to fit in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly!

Quick Reply: Powersteering Y/N?