Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering problem

Can someone please help me? I have a 97 Honda civic LX manufactured in Japan. A few months ago I had problem with my power steering pump. It had started to make a grinding noise. I took it to the Honda dealer and they told me that I had to change my power steering pump. I decided to do the power steering replacement by myself. I bought a power steering pump (remanufactured) from Auto Zone parts store. The sales person at Auto Zone told me that there are two different part numbers for the Honda civic power steering. One is is marked "O" and the other part is marked "P". Apparently both the part mounts the same in the car. The "O" is $68.00 and the "P" is $187.00. I checked with Honda dealership and they told me that the original power steering for Honda civic had two different part numbers ("O" and "P"). Some civic came with the "O" and some came with the "P", but the replacement part for the power steering is just one part number and it is a remanufactured part.
I had bought the power steering pump that was labeled "O" from Auto zone. After installing I noticed that the pump would make loud noise when I tried to turn the steering wheel at ideal. When I increased the RPM to above 3000 rpm and they turn the wheel there is no noise from the pump. I had bleed the power steering fluid and replaced it with OEM power steering fluid. There is no bubble in the fluid (hence no air in the system). It has been two months and I still have this problem. I have checked my rack and pinion, and it looks fine. I am thinking about replacing my power steering pump with the one that is marked "P". Before I do that can someone tell me if this particular model (1997 Honda Civic LX manuf in Japan) has "P" marked power steering pump. I tried asking the dealership but they were not able to help.
Can someone please let me know?