Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Power steering to maual conversion (pump removal)???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering to maual conversion (pump removal)???

i did some searching and couldn't find a straight answer if i could just connect the lines going to the top (#4) and bottom (#10) of the pump. should the power steering pressure switch sensor (#17) be unplugged? will this throw a CEL?

i know there is some weight that i could lose if i looped the lines further back, but the main issue is taken care of (removing the pump for weight and parasitic drag) with much less work and less busted knuckles while retaining the oem cooler. does the oem PS resivior breathe enough, or should there be some holes drilled in the top? also, i'm assuming that most of the fluid should still be removed, correct? thanks.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power steering to maual conversion (pump removal)??? (DelSolDon)

well, i went ahead and tried it, and it works. all you need to get is a 5/8" to 3/8" straight brass or nylon barbed hose connector. or, if you can't find a reducer like that, you can just use a 1/2" to 1/2" connector like i did and clamp down the larger (#10) hose and slit the smaller (#4) hose enough to cram the connector in there. then i wrapped the sh*t out of it with jdm duct tape i cut the #4 hose far enough back from the metal end that if i ever wanted to return to stock, it would be easy with just a 3/8" to 3/8" connector back to the hose still attached to the pump. its ghetto, i know, but thats the way we do it. cheap, easy, and effective.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Power steering to maual conversion (DelSolDon)

not sure if you know this or not but after you're successfully looped the rack you can cut the loop and install a T fitting in there. run a line up on the vertical part of the T and have it come up to some sort of bottle or reservoir. this allows the rack to breathe and release pressure, making it easier to turn.

padawan sells kits that have everything to do this pretty nicely. he wants like 60 bucks for them, it was worth it for me but it sounds like you're well on your way.

and yeah you can unplug the sensor no problem if you didn't already.

edit : i just read what you did .. you just left the OE reservoir there .. not a bad idea actually but i'm not sure if it will work as well as what we did. i removed the top line completely all the way back to the steering rack and put a fitting there and the rubber line goes up till the third occurance of #18 in the picture.

yeah you can drain some fluid out of the rack.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power steering to maual conversion (The Internet Tough Guy)

i know this is the 92-00 civic section .. but is this the same process for a 95 integra?