Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Possibly buying this car for a DD, what problems might I run in to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying this car for a DD, what problems might I run in to?

First of all, here's the car:

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/show....php?t=2703159

I want to use this for a daily driver year round, but there might be some issues with things. Firstly, I think it may end up having too much power and would need slightly detuned for regular daily driving. Also, IIRC a twin disc is a pretty heavy clutch. Is there a possibility I could use something lighter that would still hold fine? Any other issues you guys might forsee?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Possibly buying this car for a DD, what problems might I run in to?

Do not try to DD that car.... Buy an S2K if you have that kind of $$$
Old 04-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks nice but i would be careful buying anything built... you never know how well it was put together.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My problem with it is the line that says "not beaten or raced." If it wasn't going to be raced, why the hell did he put all that stuff in it? I just find it REALLY hard to believe it was NEVER raced.... Also, if you're going for a DD, I vote for the S2K too or maybe an RSX-S. The RSX is really nice, fairly quick, and cheaper then 11k.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nothing_shocking
My problem with it is the line that says "not beaten or raced." If it wasn't going to be raced, why the hell did he put all that stuff in it? I just find it REALLY hard to believe it was NEVER raced.... Also, if you're going for a DD, I vote for the S2K too or maybe an RSX-S. The RSX is really nice, fairly quick, and cheaper then 11k.
this is truth.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The thing is that I want a 4 door for a DD and want something that's fast. Also, a 4 door Civic would make a nice sleeper car, and they're easy cars to take care of. My original idea was that I was going to buy a 04-05 Jetta GLI (1.8T 6 speed) but one of those with 80,000 miles on it goes for around 12,000 and the only had 180 HP stock. This one already has all the goodies in it without me needing to spend a ton of money. Also, if you look where I live I get snow, I'm not going to be driving a S2000 in the snow. RSX-S is nice, but not fast enough and it's 2 doors. Basically what I'm saying is I'm looking for something turbo powered. With N/A you're limited to how far you can really go.

As far as not DDing it, what are your guy's concerns? My only real concern is that it's tuned correctly, may have too much power for a DD, and if the clutch is too heavy. Correct tune you can see with the wideband that it's getting the appropriate fuel at least. I don't do much stop and go traffic driving, so the clutch isn't a huge deal.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't buy it. start building your own.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ruben19
don't buy it. start building your own.
Like I said, DD. It's not something I can leave down for periods of time. Also, the money I would put into building something like this would end up being much higher than what I can get this car for.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

if you want a daily driver why would you buy a fully built car that your gonna have to "de-tune"? why not just buy stock civic for 1/4 the price and you get a reliable car that will last forever. just seems smarter to me.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
The thing is that I want a 4 door for a DD and want something that's fast. Also, a 4 door Civic would make a nice sleeper car, and they're easy cars to take care of. My original idea was that I was going to buy a 04-05 Jetta GLI (1.8T 6 speed) but one of those with 80,000 miles on it goes for around 12,000 and the only had 180 HP stock. This one already has all the goodies in it without me needing to spend a ton of money. Also, if you look where I live I get snow, I'm not going to be driving a S2000 in the snow. RSX-S is nice, but not fast enough and it's 2 doors. Basically what I'm saying is I'm looking for something turbo powered. With N/A you're limited to how far you can really go.

As far as not DDing it, what are your guy's concerns? My only real concern is that it's tuned correctly, may have too much power for a DD, and if the clutch is too heavy. Correct tune you can see with the wideband that it's getting the appropriate fuel at least. I don't do much stop and go traffic driving, so the clutch isn't a huge deal.
for the money and what your looking for, you would be better off getting a sti or an evo. nothing against the car you are thinking about buying but i dont really trust other peoples builds. but either way man good luck shopping
Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hickle
it looks nice but i would be careful buying anything built... you never know how well it was put together.
EXACTLY! usually when someone says.."never raced"....lol...yeah...i'm sure they never "tested" any of thier new equipment right? go on Craigslist and get the same car for half the price.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 218luder
for the money and what your looking for, you would be better off getting a sti or an evo. nothing against the car you are thinking about buying but i dont really trust other peoples builds. but either way man good luck shopping
STi's and EVO's are almost double the price of this car. Finding one of those that isn't beat on is way too rare and both those vehicles have reliability issues. Also, driving one of those daily is too raw, and insurance rapes for both of those vehicles. Trust me, I've looked into it. Plus neither of them is as easy to work on as a Civic.

As said before, I don't want a stock Civic. Stock means it's going to be slow, and as I said before, I want something that's quick. When I said de-tune, I basically mean just turning the boost down for regular driving and turning it back up for when I want the power, meaning I'll probably just get a boost controller for it. And I'm not going to buy a car that I'll be spending the next how many months "building" for a DD.

This car has all the mods you could want in it which is going to save money that you'd have to put in to it as far as upgrades go. Also, as said before, I want a 4 door Civic. That means that basically if I bought a stock one I'd have to do a lot of parts swapping to even make it as close to as fast as that car is.

I'm still trying to understand what's wrong with using this for a DD besides the clutch being stiff.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
STi's and EVO's are almost double the price of this car. Finding one of those that isn't beat on is way too rare and both those vehicles have reliability issues. Also, driving one of those daily is too raw, and insurance rapes for both of those vehicles. Trust me, I've looked into it. Plus neither of them is as easy to work on as a Civic.

As said before, I don't want a stock Civic. Stock means it's going to be slow, and as I said before, I want something that's quick. When I said de-tune, I basically mean just turning the boost down for regular driving and turning it back up for when I want the power, meaning I'll probably just get a boost controller for it. And I'm not going to buy a car that I'll be spending the next how many months "building" for a DD.

This car has all the mods you could want in it which is going to save money that you'd have to put in to it as far as upgrades go. Also, as said before, I want a 4 door Civic. That means that basically if I bought a stock one I'd have to do a lot of parts swapping to even make it as close to as fast as that car is.

I'm still trying to understand what's wrong with using this for a DD besides the clutch being stiff.
when i said stock i meant one of the newer ones (2004 and up) with a k20. you should be able to get a pre-owned one for 11k
Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 PM
JHP
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the H.I.D.s are a decent range or temp or whatever. Dont be another jerk with purple or bright blue lights behind another driver. Test drive it and see if it actually gets 30mpg still. Also RSX leathers seem to retain the cold to me. I live in so cal so maybe thats why i notice it more but those seats are always freezing cold in the mornings to me. Those are somethings i would care about in a DD other than engine and turbo reliability.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cityslicker1606
when i said stock i meant one of the newer ones (2004 and up) with a k20. you should be able to get a pre-owned one for 11k
While I don't mind the newer ones, I don't like them near as much as the EG or EK Civics. They're much harder to work on plus they've got the issues with the 6 speed trans. On top of that they're pretty meh on gas mileage for the power they have.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want a DD thats 4 doors and has some power why not look into the bug eyed WRX? You could find one for well under $11k. Hell, you could even find a SRT4 for that price.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your pretty hell bent on this civic, so this post is kinda useless but you say you get snow in the winter, lowered cars dont go in the winter, and atleast for me it would be a pain to raise and lower my civic every winter. also ever drive a boosted civic in the snow? low boost or not i doubt you will go far, or atleast safely. thats y my boosted em1 sits in the garage for winter. i would say get this car for the summer, but not a all year DD
Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98y8
If you want a DD thats 4 doors and has some power why not look into the bug eyed WRX? You could find one for well under $11k. Hell, you could even find a SRT4 for that price.
I don't mind the WRX as it's more reliable than the EVO is, but eh. They're expensive to insure plus they're too hit or miss on reliability. Some people have no issues with theirs but then the next guy has the headgaskets go out of it. Also, I'm not really wanting something AWD, just more stuff that I'd need to fix. SRT4's make good power, but you're talking the same **** as this Civic. Why buy a SRT4 when I could just have the Civic?

Raising and lowering the car each spring and fall is not a big deal to me, I've done it before and will be doing it soon with the girlfriend's car. I work as an auto technician so I have access to a hoist and alignment rack anytime. Also, for the winter I always run Blizzaks, so winter traction isn't much of an issue here.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about a mazdaspeed3?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then just buy the civic, your going to buy it no matter what we think.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

personaly i would look else were, it seems a little to built to be daily driver freindly, and before people talk ****, thats my opinon on it. You could pick up a 4 door 96-00, put a gsr in it and turbo maybe a 10-12 psi with a good tune and have everything you want the clutch etc and be under the 11k that car is. My friend had a twin disk and he said it was okay for dd but traffic is another issue, long story short he removed the clutch and put something different in.

I totaly understand what your looking for and want, but that car was built for one thing, assuming it was built and tuned correctly i dont see why it wouldnt survive daily driving, but i dont think thats what it was intended for and may not be very reliable in the future as parts get older. The part i disagre with is he hasnt raced it anything, i know that if put this kind of cash into my car, id beat the **** of out it.