Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Possible causes of camber and height issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible causes of camber and height issue?

I have a 2000 Civic EX, bone stock from bumper to bumper. I lowered it on H&R's and Tokico Illuminas about 2 years ago. The drop was 2 inch in the front and 1.75 in the rear. Just recently I raised the car back to stock with my stock OEM springs and Tokico Illuminas. The front seems to sit higher then the rear. Any reason why it would sit higher then the rear?

Also my driver side front wheel is having positive camber. Making the car look ridiculously awkward when all the other tires are sitting parallel up and down while the driver's front tire is sticking out. Any reason for this also?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible causes of camber and height issue?

did u get an alignment to fix the camber, were the springs u got used
Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the correct springs where they are supposed to go? Are the spring perches right? On Koni Yellows you can flip the perches, or set the perches at 3 heights on the shocks.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by batallic
did u get an alignment to fix the camber, were the springs u got used
Honda Civics don't have a way to adjust camber, at least without a camber kit. All you can adjust is toe.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SohcVtec
Any reason for this?
you change ride height... you change alignment angles.

get it aligned

and yes the front appears to sit a little higher from the factory
Old 04-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lowering the car creates negative camber and the wheels to turn slightly inwards I think. The problem is that the camber is screwed up and it's back at the right ride height, no? Since you cannot independantly change camber and ride height (aside from using a camber kit), something is wrong. Maybe the ball joints are worn out, bushings, something is bent, UCAs are loose, I don't know. Jack the car up and look it over. If something like a ball joint is completely shot, fix it, that's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the car align the day after I raised the car back to stock height. The springs I am using are the OEM springs that came with the car. I can't move the perch because like I said I have Tokico Illuminas. Everything seats as normal on the shock including the seat on the perch and the position of the top hats.

The alignment tech just told me only your front drivers side seems to have positive cambler while the rest of them are normal. Also told me everything was fine when he was doing the alignment. I've doubled checked everything and it all looks tight and nothing seems to be bent etc.

I'll have to get the ball joints check as I do notice that it tends to pull a bit to the left and right when I go over rough roads and grooves on the freeway. When I go over a freshly paved road I let go of the steering wheel and it doesn't pull to the left or the right it goes straight. I'm running 205/50/15 with 2000 miles on the tires. I've always thought that 205's tend to follow grooves a bit more, but I'll have to check the ball joints. Thanks for the response.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are the springs all seated in the perches right?

To check the ball joings, just grab the knuckle and upper control arm and see if you can move the upper control arm up and down or the knuckle back and forth, and stick a crowbar between the knuckle and LCA and pry a little to check for play. The ball joints may not cause negative camber, but since you ran a lot of negative camber for a long time, it would be good to check them anyway.

I had been running like 205/65r16s and I know what you mean, they grab the grooves in the road, jerk the wheel and I got a lot of road noise, but that was probably from the tread pattern more than anything.