Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

possesed civic (expierienced honda guys please help!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 05:44 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possesed civic (expierienced honda guys please help!)

My new civic has demons.. heres a list of whats going on-If anyone knows whats up please let me know. Its a 92 w/vtec, BTW..

1- It wont start. New battery, new starter. Both were tested before being replaced(both were replaced within the last 2 days), and both tested fine-i replaced them anyway though in hopes the tests were inaccurate.. There is a full 12 volts going to the main starter cable and to the switch wire at the time of load. I can clutch-pop it and it starts and runs fine(with the exception of issue#2). when i try to jump start it, it It wont click, or even act like its pulling current from the other car. Sometimes, the cooling fan kicks on when the key is in the "start" position, but goes off when its in the "accessory" position. I tried to start it with my foot off of the clutch, and then pressed in on the clutch while trying to start it and heard the "neutral safety start" switch click when it reached the point of activation, so im pretty sure its working (not to mention the 12v of current going to the switched wire on the starter).

2- It over heats. The fan isnt kicking on. It is only kicking on when the key is in the "start" position, and will not come on when the while the car is running.

3- when ever i let off the accelerator, The car falls out of gear and the shifter goes into neutral. I think this may have to do with the short-throw shifter i installed. Of course, it could also have something to do with having to clutch-start it.

THese problems just showed up within the last 2 days, It ran fine before then. Could this all be caused by a bad ground? I think that it is something in the wiring as opposed to something mechanical, but i thought id check with you guys to see if it could possibly be a glitch that someone else has encountered (i know a lot of the hybrid guys run into wirinig issues, even though my motor has never been out of the car), or if anyone could offer me some advice id appreciate it.

thanks..

[Modified by JHMeg8, 2:45 AM 9/12/2001]
Old 09-11-2001, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: possesed civic (JHMeg8)

1. could be related to your clutch switch that allows your car to start only after the clutch is depressed...does it turn over at all? or is it dead?
2. sounds like a bad fan relay switch
3. sounds like your clutch is fugged

that'll get ya started.
Old 09-12-2001, 03:19 AM
New User

Default Re: possesed civic (DragIIcivic)

thanks for the reply, drag..
Nope, wont turn over at all. No clicks, nothing. Its like trying to start it without the clutch in, but when i try to crank it with the clutch out, then push the clutch in while the key is still in the crank position, i hear a click at the point where the clutch switch turns on. I haddnet thought about the relay-Ill try that. could that explain why the fan comes on when i try to turn it over? Im begining to think that it might be the wiring in the under hood fuse block.
right now the car is at the dealer. My mom got tired of me driving her car and said i had to take it to the dealer so that someone "who actually knows Hondas" can look at it (nice blow to the ego from moms). But if my past dealings hold true with them, the car will be back at my house today with more problems then what it went up there with.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let us know what it was...
Old 09-12-2001, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: possesed civic (DragIIcivic)

Check for loose engine grounds as well. Both on the valve cover and the transission housing.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:01 PM
New User

Default Re: possesed civic (HX_Guy)

bingo-- transmision ground wire. It had gotten coroded and frayed really bad, for some reason it was this wierd green color. The tech at the dealership replaced that, and it fired right up, the cooling fan works as well. So, now it runs.. thank god. I was afraid the i was going to have to buy back my old car and take the new one back to the dealer i bought it from and wail on some people(id like to go off on the fat cigar choken bastard that sold it to me just because he was an ***)..

i have to deal with a few other issues- like holding the shifter in gear while i drive.. rotted exhaust)- but thats something that was caused by me and clutch popping it. Oh well, if i diddnt have **** to fix id be bored..
or closer to a b16a swap..
Anyway, thanks for the tech support guys.
Old 09-13-2001, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the fuse for the fan......i had that happen to me
Old 09-13-2001, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: possesed civic (fifthgearonline)

Refering to the tranny going out of gear....My CX does it right now. Shitty tranny. Syncros are going out of it. FIX THAT SOON!