Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

port and polish

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default port and polish

I'm getting head work on my b18b (already 9.4 comp cause it's a jdm) I'm getting the head shaved, 3 angle valve job and machine matched head gasket ( to increase comp cause I'm staying NA)!!! What's the deal with port and polish...do I have to get bigger gaskets are what??

( I have a cold air intake to astock intake manifold the out headers and full cat back)
Old 10-01-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: port and polish (psegs80)

no u won't need bigger gaskets, the gaskets r matched with the header, so if the ports on the head are bigger than the ones on the header and intake than ur machinist is an idiot
Old 10-01-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: port and polish (Civicse)

when they r done porting then they should match up or b slightly smaller
Old 10-01-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: port and polish (Civicse)

Sounds good( about the size and gasket) Do you think it's worth it knowing that honda make fairly large ports( should I just get them smoother?)
Old 10-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Smooth is goos but u don't want it to smooth, because the surface of the material cause a swirl effect on the mixture which in turn gives u a better mixter not volume wise but just space i don't know if it's making sense but smooth is good but not to smooth.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:16 PM

it can't hurt to have them matched, but usually they also smooth out any sharp corners in the ports for a better flow rate, heres a link on a diy port and polish, some good info on what they do
http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm
Old 10-01-2005, 12:29 PM

I'm sure you know the object of port and polish is to allow more air to flow and in a since allow the air to flow more smoothly. Although depending on who you ask to weather or not the intake ports should be polished smooth or left rough. Exauhst ports work better when they are smooth and allow less carbon buildup that way. As for matching it to the gaskets depending on how serious of a port job you want to weather or not the gaskets need to be matched to the port job. Be sure to know what you want, tell the guy doing the work what power gains you are looking for and where you want them. Be realistic and you will be happy with your results. Port work makes a difference and I hope this helped any other questions just ask. oh and they can port match your header and intake manifold if you plan on going bigger one day
Old 10-01-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: port and polish (piggypen)

I'm guessing here but if I smooth out the exhauts ports (and I understand why) do the intake ports have to be matched so that they are also as smooth?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:05 PM

Here is an other question, the 3 angle valve job and head work should bring my compression up by how much ( on average )
Old 10-02-2005, 08:10 PM

the smoothing of the exhaust ports does not neccesitate the smoothing of the intake that is up to you. Like I said there are two schools on which to do on the intake side it's up to you which you do. The smooth school belives that the outside of the air has a "skin" on it that keeps the air from being affected by any roughness. The rough crowd, says that the roughing allows the air to swirl and allows for better fuel attomization. *** far as the valve job it depends on what valves you use i.e. stock valves will not raise compression however high compression valves are avaliable that will raise the compression approximatley .5. the three angle valve job just refers to the number of angles cut on the valve and valve seat. they go up to five. I'm not going to get into detail on this because I don't wanna say anything wrong. ask the macine shop. Another way to raise the compression is to get a thinner head gasket or mill the head. Which is the removing of material from the head. on a b-series motor it can be hazardous because it is an interferance motor. Meaning that if the cam timming is out the valves will hit the pistons. which also means that under normal operation there is little clearance. you can find the tolerances in the honda service manual. Finialy when you say head work what do you mean? oh and if anything is spelled wrong I suck at it and the spellchecker is being stupid.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: port and polish (piggypen)

as said above, dont get them too smooth cause the little gritty parts in the runner(yes part are from casting b4 anyone flames) is partially to cause turbulence and create somewhat of a vortex for better fuel atomization meaning better air and fuel efficiency.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: port and polish (isumase)

By head work I mean getting the head milled!!! I think I'm going to make sure that the ports don't get polished to much but I'm definitly going to get the 3 angle job!!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:12 PM

yeah sorry reread the first post and realized my dumb question a while later. sorry