Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pop the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop the clutch?

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question, and you guys can make fun if you want, as long as you answer my question.

Can I "pop" the "clutch" with an automatic transmission? I can shift to neutral and back while I'm moving (any speed) so what happens if I rev it up to 5 or 6 in N at a light, then hit the shifter into D4? (I have a 4spd auto on a D16Y8 stock). I know, I know, I can't be as fast with auto, but what will happen? Anyone know? I would try it, but I don't want to damage my car as its my daily driver.

Thanks for the burns in advance!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pop the clutch? (LemonLime)

i used to do this for fun in an 87 accord that i bought for $100. it had a brand new trans and a friends dad sold it to me because i didnt run. i put a new alt in it and drove it. needless to say the brand new trans lasted about 3 months before it was totally destroyed. and i feel like a jack *** cause i had a good running car that looked like crap for $250. and now its in the junk yard.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Pop the clutch? (DCSportEJ1Civic)

thanks for the heads up! (I think I'll pass on that kind of play for now!)

did it feel like you popped a clutch though?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol... just dont do it
Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well not to me but i could see how someone could say that. i actually made a really funny video of me and my friend beating on it after i got my 95 ex. but the most ull get is a little tire squeal and a blown transmission. but it was really funny at the time.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LemonLime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, maybe this is a stupid question, and you guys can make fun if you want, as long as you answer my question.

Can I "pop" the "clutch" with an automatic transmission? I can shift to neutral and back while I'm moving (any speed) so what happens if I rev it up to 5 or 6 in N at a light, then hit the shifter into D4? (I have a 4spd auto on a D16Y8 stock). I know, I know, I can't be as fast with auto, but what will happen? Anyone know? I would try it, but I don't want to damage my car as its my daily driver.

Thanks for the burns in advance!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is clearly the most awesome thing you can do. lol. It's fun while it lasts...but it wont last long. If you, like me, have a penchant for breaking things, then go for it. If this is your daily driver/car that's supposed to be reliable...dont do it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol... just dont do it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cmon dude! That's what they said in middle school about sex. Now look..middle schoolers are getting WAY more action than I ever got back in the 7th grade. Clearly, getting some in the 7th grade is better than not getting some in the 7th grade. (I'm not actually sure why I'm talking about this...I think I just wish I would have banged more chicks when I was in the 7th grade).

Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ lol

i know a kid who went through 3 cars by doing this... i wonder if he ever figured out what he was doing wrong...
Old 12-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hurtgen)

that was me, i went through three cars banging chicks in 7th grade.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: (kayelemenohpee)

^^ that's awesome. You were driving AND banging chicks in the 7th grade?!!

Did you have a mustache and everything?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL great topic
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another thing that's fun too (repeating myself) is get the car going down the freeway and BANG the shifter into 1st. You probably can only do it once so make it a good one.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Pop the clutch? (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another thing that's fun too (repeating myself) is get the car going down the freeway and BANG the shifter into 1st. You probably can only do it once so make it a good one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It wont go into 1st. It will stay in "D" mode till you get to a speed low enough for it to go in 1st.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha did that with my first car when i was 17, it was auto, lol. Not the best thing to do all the time tho, i woudlnt recommend it. Was fun tho, lol.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Pop the clutch? (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another thing that's fun too (repeating myself) is get the car going down the freeway and BANG the shifter into 1st. You probably can only do it once so make it a good one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't have 1st (I do, but youi know what I mean)

I have D4, D3, (which let you go 1,2,3,4 or 1,2,3 respectively) and a 2 (which is JUST 2nd gear - I can just use 2 but it feels too loose coming off the line)

but if I'm on the freeway and pop the shifter from D4 to D3 it WILL downshift, and I've done that before, its the same as touching the pedal to the floor, which the HONDA MANUAL says will DOWNSHIFT if you need extra power to make it up a hill.....or if you're racing....lmao

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ that's awesome. You were driving AND banging chicks in the 7th grade?!!

I know, thanks!!!

Did you have a mustache and everything? </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kayelemenohpee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that was me, i went through three cars banging chicks in 7th grade.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW, I didn't drive or bang in 7th grade, but I had a mustache in 6th grade

Old 12-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LemonLime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW, I didn't drive or bang in 7th grade, because I had a mustache in 6th grade </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol i did it a couple of times. and i thought is was cool. but it's not.
my friend does it all the time and the tranny is all jacked up it doesnt even go into reverse and we have to push it out of parking spots.lol
Old 12-12-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Pop the clutch? (WhiteOnRice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOnRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW, I didn't drive or bang in 7th BECAUSE I had a mustache in the 6th grade</TD></TR></TABLE>

LMFAO

Old 12-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

talk about exploding planetary gears....the tranny can only handle so much before it would give out.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Pop the clutch? (db8db8db8)

Do the 5spd trannys not have planetary gears? I guess not....

I started this, because I noticed my downshifting is kind of hard anyway. I can feel, if I'm going 28mph in 3rd gear, I can floor it and go 30+ in 2nd. When I do this, I feel the clutch release, the engine rev up to 6.5 or so, and then the tranny reingages around 7, so it is a jolt. I don't see what the difference would be if I reved it in Neutral, and then engaged the tranny. Theoretically it seems the same to me, but what do I know?

Old 12-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please just leave it in D4. "Shifting" a fully automatic transmission is actually slower (about 0.5 seconds in a qtr mile on average) than letting the car do it in D4.

Buy a standard 5 speed if you want to shift.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: (WhiteOnRice)

that last post was merely an explanation of what the HONDA MANUAL stated regarding a 4spd Automatic. I do not shift while I'm driving (except occasionally into N and back to D4 if I'm rolling down a long hill and low on gas, because my idle is around 800rpm, and it rolls down a hill in closer to 1600rpm)

THAT BEING SAID I wanted to know about LAUNCHING. I know I can floor it when it turns green, and race my idiot friend in his (faster than me) SRT-4 (my arch enemy car, btw). I was having a theoretical question, thought about it myself (not considerring doing it, just imagining the technical workings of what would happen) and decided to ask you experts!

Thanks for all the input guys, this was a fun thread...lmao

Old 12-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: (WhiteOnRice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOnRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please just leave it in D4. "Shifting" a fully automatic transmission is actually slower (about 0.5 seconds in a qtr mile on average) than letting the car do it in D4.

Buy a standard 5 speed if you want to shift. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the tip! I never thought of that before! now ALL my problems are solved! Thread closed.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: (LemonLime)

I started this, because I noticed my downshifting is kind of hard anyway. I can feel, if I'm going 28mph in 3rd gear, I can floor it and go 30+ in 2nd. When I do this, I feel the clutch release, the engine rev up to 6.5 or so, and then the tranny reingages around 7, so it is a jolt. I don't see what the difference would be if I reved it in Neutral, and then engaged the tranny. Theoretically it seems the same to me, but what do I know?

BUMP ^^^^

Old 12-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't have a clutch. You have a torque converter. The torque converter essentially absorbs the engine's rotation while you sit at a red light (engine is still allowed to idle without stalling). When the car drops a gear, the engine speeds up and the torque converter regulates the power until it should be released (when the transmission has dropped into 2nd gear). When you "neutral drop" you don't allow the transmission to regulate the power and all the force (stress) is immediately put on the transmission.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:20 PM

just get urself a 5spd manual car ...

Quick Reply: Pop the clutch?