Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

poor mans type r swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor mans type r swap

hey i was wondering what i needed and how to do a poormans r swap

i might a 92 eg si with a b16a1, all i need is a gsr block and itr cams right?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: poor mans type r swap

yes but if you want a real mans type r. Then get Type R Internals.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where could i buy Type R Internals? and how much do they go for?

and would it be drivabele as a gsr block/b16 head with only itr cams?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dannyem1
where could i buy Type R Internals? and how much do they go for?

and would it be drivabele as a gsr block/b16 head with only itr cams?
Probably not without a tune... Also putting the b16 head on a GSR block will raise the compression... The swap isn't really worthwhile unless you go with the type R pistons...

On another note the Poor Mans R is pretty antiquated at this point and has been replaced by the LS/Vtec swap... That is probably what you should look into... The Poor Mans type R was done before there were kits that made the LS/Vtec easier...
Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tercel95
Probably not without a tune... Also putting the b16 head on a GSR block will raise the compression... The swap isn't really worthwhile unless you go with the type R pistons...

On another note the Poor Mans R is pretty antiquated at this point and has been replaced by the LS/Vtec swap... That is probably what you should look into... The Poor Mans type R was done before there were kits that made the LS/Vtec easier...

damn i didnt know that.. well ive driven a poormans r before and i love how they sound, so how much would it be with everything i needed for a good poormans r?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the stock ITR pistons go for $250 and the set of ITR or CTR cams r around $400-600.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id prob looking into a ls/vtec set up IMO. the LS is a cheap and easy to find block so if anything was to happen it would be easy to get running again!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well you could just get everything you needed from hmotors...
$189.00 for piston set (itr)
ctr cams for $520

but also shouldnt you upgrade your valvetrain when running those cams? idk for sure i was under the impression you should.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, the b16 head on the GSR block would lower your compression. Use p30 pistons on your gsr rods.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

b16 head w/gsr block will NOT raise compression.

just my .02 but i wouldnt even bother building a poor mans type r, a ls/vtec replaced it for a reason, but if you really want it, get all type r internals.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doing a PMR swap is the best swap u will ever do cuz PMR is the fastest b-series motor out there if u build it right by getting a b18c1 block, b16 head and type r internal and b16 water and oil pump. but in other case if u want to boost it dont bother it cuz pmr has so high compression and its so easy to run into problem unless money isnt an issue to u. that just imo
Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedteggy
doing a PMR swap is the best swap u will ever do cuz PMR is the fastest b-series motor out there if u build it right by getting a b18c1 block, b16 head and type r internal and b16 water and oil pump. but in other case if u want to boost it dont bother it cuz pmr has so high compression and its so easy to run into problem unless money isnt an issue to u. that just imo
This is not true, that is why everyone has moved on to LS/VTEC setups... With the information and kits out there they aren't hard to do or expensive anymore...
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Boostedteggy where u been man?? The Type R is all but junk now as far as fast goes, it's reliable as hell but not fast anymore. The only reason I would do a PMR is if I needed the car everyday and didn't want to put very much money into a build at all, and didn't want to do anything but an oil change and drive it.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic_r87111
Well the stock ITR pistons go for $250 and the set of ITR or CTR cams r around $400-600.
Sorry to go off topic guys but woooow those are crazy prices, How much would a B16b cost in the states(engine or engine and box)
Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 AM

stock type r internal on b16a2 head, b18c1 block @11.5 cr with overbore to 85mm itr pistons, s2 68mm TB, s2 IM, intake, 310cc rc, vafc, jdm p73 ecu, s2 full exhaust and a good dyno tune. this is my dd car.

192whp
161ft.lb. on wheels

if you want a lil more change your ecu
Old 10-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedteggy
not true,
every moved to ls/vtec for a reason its better.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to go off topic guys but woooow those are crazy prices, How much would a B16b cost in the states(engine or engine and box)
a B16B is going for $3k right now.

stock type r internal
11.5 cr with overbore to 85mm itr pistons
What do u mean? The stock pistons don't come in a 85mm bore and u should b getting way more than 192whp, that ecu and junkafc is killing u.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM

i bought the itr pistons thru internet and yah, i think junkafc is killing me. i have to use it coz of our f**** air care here. hardly, people use hondata unless its summer driven car so, they only get couple months insurance, but for daily is different.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just like others have said...you could use oem itr pistons, or rs machine makes nice pistons for cheap. you could also used flat faced valves and a thinner head gasket to bump the compression up a lil more.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Boostedteggy where u been man?? The Type R is all but junk now as far as fast goes, it's reliable as hell but not fast anymore. The only reason I would do a PMR is if I needed the car everyday and didn't want to put very much money into a build at all, and didn't want to do anything but an oil change and drive it.
not trying to argure but i always think pmr is alway better and more reliable then ls/vtec because no matter how u build them pmr will alway last longer then ls/vtec and as far as i know my pmr swap in my em1 is faster then my ls/vtec ej8 but then again ls/vtec does have its own advantage imo i think pmr is much better
Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a B16B is going for $3k right now.

holy zombie jesus!!!! you would get one here for 800-900, jeeez you would nearly get a full CTR for that sure a guy on my local site is selling his ITR for 3900!!!
heres a pic
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/100_3852.jpg

Think ill start buying and shipping to the states

Again sorry for the off topis thats my last post Sorry op
Old 10-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how can i make a gsr engine as fast as a itr., jus the cams only to itr?
or what can i put on the grs...

what cams??? and is so do i hav to change valve train or springs ect
Old 10-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LS/VTEC is not going to compare to doing a poormans type R he wants to be fast dnt get me wronge ls/vtec is decent but poormans type R is better
Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy zombie jesus!!!! you would get one here for 800-900
If u can get them that cheap PM me!!
how can i make a gsr engine as fast as a itr., jus the cams only to itr?
or what can i put on the grs...

what cams??? and is so do i hav to change valve train or springs ect
The best way to make a PMR is get the CTR cams, CTR pistons, either ITR or CTR valve train, and do a port & polish on the head. U don't have to change the entire valve train but it would b better, u could just get the ITR intake valve setup and leave the GSR exhaust setup.

LS/VTEC is not going to compare to doing a poormans type R he wants to be fast dnt get me wronge ls/vtec is decent but poormans type R is better
Get any PMR and an LS/Vtec that has the same mods like 11.5:1 CR and ITR cams, ect. and the PMR will get smoked..! Power for power anyway.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If u can get them that cheap PM me!!

The best way to make a PMR is get the CTR cams, CTR pistons, either ITR or CTR valve train, and do a port & polish on the head. U don't have to change the entire valve train but it would b better, u could just get the ITR intake valve setup and leave the GSR exhaust setup.

Get any PMR and an LS/Vtec that has the same mods like 11.5:1 CR and ITR cams, ect. and the PMR will get smoked..! Power for power anyway.
i leaving the gsr intake to? where can i source this, i am from the trinidad, its expensive here, any websites you can refer

Quick Reply: poor mans type r swap