Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

point of motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default point of motor mounts?

I understand motor mounts are used to install motors into cars (i.e. h22 into eg) but how about b series into eg? It isnt neccessary to install motor mounts for a B series motor into a EG? If you do install them it only strengthens the position of the motor into the civic chassis right?
Old 04-02-2005, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: point of motor mounts? (dchan86)

All motors need motor mounts to attach to the car.

The mount has rubber in it (or something else if it's aftermarket) which absorbs the vibrations of the motor and lets it move when you get on it, or when you hit a big bump, without it ripping a piece of your car off.

If you didnt have mounts and just bolted the motor to the chasis the mounting points would just rip out whenever the motor tryed to move. It's basically attachment and suspension for the motor itself.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: point of motor mounts? (EVIL Hx Coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EVIL Hx Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All motors need motor mounts to attach to the car.

The mount has rubber in it (or something else if it's aftermarket) which absorbs the vibrations of the motor and lets it move when you get on it, or when you hit a big bump, without it ripping a piece of your car off.

If you didnt have mounts and just bolted the motor to the chasis the mounting points would just rip out whenever the motor tryed to move. It's basically attachment and suspension for the motor itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im pretty sure he is aware of that He is refering to aftermarket mounts
Old 04-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: point of motor mounts? (Magick211)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Magick211 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im pretty sure he is aware of that He is refering to aftermarket mounts</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, I misread the question, I had just gotten in to work when I replied...

You dont need aftermarket motor mounts to mount a B series motor into an EG, you could use stock mounts(proper ones) and the motor would sit perfecly fine with no risks of anything happening because of the mounts.

The main advantage in aftermarket mounts is that they're stiffer, which helps because your motor wont be moving back and forth in hard shifts, and also they will take alot more abuse than stock mounts before they rip/break.

You do sacrifice some comfort though because by the mounts being stiffer more vibration gets into the car (floor, steering wheel, dash...)
Old 04-02-2005, 07:11 AM
95DxSi-R2

Aftermarket polyuerthane? mounts are extremly good. They last a long time and hold motion better. b16 into eg...u can use your stock mounts. If i had 200+ horsepower at the wheels i'd use aftermarket. Stock will work fine. If your switching from auto to stick you'll need a hasport..etc. upper trans. mount.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:22 AM
dso
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EVIL Hx Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You do sacrifice some comfort though because by the mounts being stiffer more vibration gets into the car (floor, steering wheel, dash...)</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes definitetly true, if you're thinking of getting motor mounts prepare for a very noisy and at times annoying ride. However i still think they are a good investment.

Modified by EG6_tuner at 3:21 PM 4/3/2005
Old 04-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: point of motor mounts? (EG6_tuner)

Ah thanks guys. I just plan on doing a b18c5 swap putting down close to 200whp. So I wouldnt need it right?

I am just trying to get a setup that puts down close to 200whp without breaking into the motor.
b18c5
i/h/e
chipped ecu
bigger fuel pump
IM
Old 04-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dchan86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ah thanks guys. I just plan on doing a b18c5 swap putting down close to 200whp. So I wouldnt need it right?

I am just trying to get a setup that puts down close to 200whp without breaking into the motor.
b18c5
i/h/e
chipped ecu
bigger fuel pump
IM</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your stock mounts should be perfectly fine with that setup... If anything you could try the motor mount inserts (you dont need them) ... They're cheap and make your current mounts a little stiffer, it helps keep the engine from moving, but is not as drastic (vibration and price wise) as the full mounts.

BTW some more things to do to your setup to maximize power would be a bigger throttle body (port matched to the IM), smoothen the manifold inside, get an aem IM gasket to insulate your IM from the block, match the runners to the block.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

runners aka injectors?
Old 04-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Runners = 4 tubes that go from the manifold to the block.

Each injector goes to 1 of those runners.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see, thanks alot!

EDIT: I guess increasing air flow from the TB to the ported IM is balancing the increase of fuel. Correct me if I am wrong but in order to have results increasing the size of the fuel pump, I need to increase air flow by boring the TB and port matching to the IM?

EDIT: this thread has been hijacked.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dchan86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see, thanks alot!

EDIT: I guess increasing air flow from the TB to the ported IM is balancing the increase of fuel. Correct me if I am wrong but in order to have results increasing the size of the fuel pump, I need to increase air flow by boring the TB and port matching to the IM?

EDIT: this thread has been hijacked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It'll just help you get as much air in there as possible, when everything is nicely matched up and polished there's less resistance and no obstruction for the air.

For example: Whats the point of having a 70mm TB if your IM opening is only 60mm??? see what im saying?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to need some cams to hit 200whp.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: point of motor mounts? (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're going to need some cams to hit 200whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: point of motor mounts? (Archidictus)

I see thanks. I will do soem more researching on cams.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After-market Motor Mounts - if theyr good they will possision the motor in the bay in the best location possible and prevent the motor from bouncing. They are also much stronger and wont 'rip' like stock mounts that can go with one good launch.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TOP END MS)

Can anyone elese vouch for a increase of vibration in your steering/dash from aftermarket mount i.e. hasport.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: (dchan86)

Where are all of the mounts located and how many of them are there?
Old 04-03-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: (nota-ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dchan86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can anyone elese vouch for a increase of vibration in your steering/dash from aftermarket mount i.e. hasport.</TD></TR></TABLE>

VOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCC CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

big enough vouch?

huge increase of vibration ... but ya gotta love it
Old 04-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I second the crazy vibration and shaking caused by polyurethane motor mounts...... Still like them though....
Old 04-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nota-ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where are all of the mounts located and how many of them are there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Top Tranny
Front Tranny
Rear Tranny
Driver Side (Top)
Drive Side (Bottom A/C)
Old 04-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

motor mount inserts just stiffen up the motor to chasis bond. They will help reduce wheel hop resulting in better traction when launching... they are cheap so get em
Old 04-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dunkd)

The only thing I wouldnt want is the vibration.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put them in... if u dont like it, take em out and sell them... install isnt all that tough
Old 04-04-2005, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dchan86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dchan86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only thing I wouldnt want is the vibration.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The inserts are not as bad as the full mounts when it comes to vibration.

Quick Reply: point of motor mounts?