Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please point me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please point me in the right direction

I recently picked up a 92' hatchback and want to learn more about what engine would be better to turbo? Iv read about vtech not doig well when turboed but thats all i know. Could someone help me out with some info on what engine would be the best to drop into my civic? I would later want do build up the engine to handle some real boost.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: Please point me in the right direction (Turdbocharged)

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch is your friend!

Oh and its vtec, unless you have one of these badboys in your ride:

I mean they have great distance on phones now-a-days but cell phones are cheaper and have basically infinite range .
Old 07-29-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Please point me in the right direction (Turdbocharged)

search! dont make a post unless u search for the answer first...best advice u can get
Old 07-29-2005, 07:06 PM
* B A N N E D *

well everyone is going to just tell you to search, but the directions are here:
If you want a drag car that'll be easy to manage and you are really good at doing mechanical things swap in an H22.
If you want to autocross or are not as mechanical put a b16 in it.
Now if you want to go all extreme try a stroked b18 turbo or an ls/vtec.
If you have to keep the stock motor, just make the body look good because it will never be fast. ever without more money than going fast with a swap.

as far as vtec and turbo its just really hard to tune, since there are two cam sets, intake and exhaust and ignition timing, and they all have to change with throttle % and boost pressure...so its just easier with a good turbo cam. One bad thing about going turbo on stock cams is all the overlap which will make it harder to get the air in and out under pressure.

one good option for fairly cheap is to swap in a JDM ZC engine. They use stock axles (from an integra or something) they come in dual cam, they use a very common transmission, they react very well to boost and nitrous, and you can get 130-140 whp with all boltons.

Best advice if you are really serious about this is to save as you research, and don't buy anything for what you already have just because it's new. Wait to get a new motor, then start buying your boltons.

PM me if you need any more info, this thread will probably get locked since everyone is just going to want you to search.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGmikeH22)

VTEC loves turbo,...who ever say vtec dont do well on turbo should get kick in the nuts
Old 07-30-2005, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGmikeH22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well everyone is going to just tell you to search, but the directions are here:
If you want a drag car that'll be easy to manage and you are really good at doing mechanical things swap in an H22.
If you want to autocross or are not as mechanical put a b16 in it.
Now if you want to go all extreme try a stroked b18 turbo or an ls/vtec.
If you have to keep the stock motor, just make the body look good because it will never be fast. ever without more money than going fast with a swap.

as far as vtec and turbo its just really hard to tune, since there are two cam sets, intake and exhaust and ignition timing, and they all have to change with throttle % and boost pressure...so its just easier with a good turbo cam. One bad thing about going turbo on stock cams is all the overlap which will make it harder to get the air in and out under pressure.

one good option for fairly cheap is to swap in a JDM ZC engine. They use stock axles (from an integra or something) they come in dual cam, they use a very common transmission, they react very well to boost and nitrous, and you can get 130-140 whp with all boltons.

Best advice if you are really serious about this is to save as you research, and don't buy anything for what you already have just because it's new. Wait to get a new motor, then start buying your boltons.

PM me if you need any more info, this thread will probably get locked since everyone is just going to want you to search.</TD></TR></TABLE>

D hAter!
Old 07-30-2005, 08:08 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Tapen00n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tapen00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">D hAter!</TD></TR></TABLE>
I've only seen one D that could touch my car, and he couldn't beat me in a drag race, and people only guess that he'll take me in the top end (t3t4 ball bearing and a fully built head with a cam)

there is definitely no reason to keep a D unless you have some weird emissions thing where you can't do a swap.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGmikeH22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is definitely no reason to keep a D</TD></TR></TABLE>

how about MONEY, some of us do things other than building/racing cars all day :D
Old 07-30-2005, 08:28 AM
* B A N N E D *

i definitely agree, but if you get a header for 250, an intake for 125, a cat back for 300 and a high flow cat for 75 you are at 850
a JDM ZC is 700 and you can just sell the stock D if it is running for 300 setting you back to only costing 400 which will let you spend 450 on axles, custom exhaust, clutch, and other swap costs.