Please HELP!! civic not holding an idle! Car idles ROUGH not erratic

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP!! civic not holding an idle! Car idles ROUGH not erratic

VIDEO BELOW!!
PROGRESS!!!!

i have a 98 civic EX with a 99 GSR swap and my car is running rich and rough.
it won't even hold an idle!
it throws a primary o2 sensor code. could this be the reason i is idling rough?
it sarts up fine for the first 2 seconds then bogs and is about to die out. i just claned the IACV too.
the only modification to it is a SKunk2 intake manifold.
my car has been down for about 3 weeks now. i dont know whats wrong

Last edited by -__-; 08-07-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please HELP!! civic not holding an idle! Car idles ROUGH not erratic

bump.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please HELP!! civic not holding an idle! Car idles ROUGH not erratic

up.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definitely primary o2 sensor.. that has to be one of the most important sensors out of all of them.. either replace the sensor or simply check to see if its plugged in or any loose connections. You recently did a manifold swap therefore you might have unplugged the sensor on accident
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^x2
Usually when my car is broken and it's throwing a cel that's the first thing i fix and it usually fixes it
Old 08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought a universal o2 sensor and thats what its working on now..i conneted it using butt-connectors..should i buy an OEM one? this is for a GSR swap into an EK
Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a oem one for the long run.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by -__-
i bought a universal o2 sensor and thats what its working on now..i conneted it using butt-connectors..should i buy an OEM one? this is for a GSR swap into an EK
naw keep it.. o2 sensors are expensive.. your using a brand new one while Im still using an old *** o2 sensor from it still works.. just keep the universal until something happens.. I doubt anything will though
Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright thanks guys.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

The bad O2 sensor is almost definitely causing the engine to run rich, but I am not sure it's causing the low idle problem. Does the engine also have a low idle right after a cold start? If so, I don't think a bad O2 sensor would be the culprit as the ECU only uses the O2 sensor signal after the engine is hot. In what condition are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Does unplugging the IACV have any effect on idle speed? If not, the IACV may be bad.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The bad O2 sensor is almost definitely causing the engine to run rich, but I am not sure it's causing the low idle problem. Does the engine also have a low idle right after a cold start? If so, I don't think a bad O2 sensor would be the culprit as the ECU only uses the O2 sensor signal after the engine is hot. In what condition are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Does unplugging the IACV have any effect on idle speed? If not, the IACV may be bad.
well he says he has a CEL for the primary o2 sensor, and its running rich and rough. Thats one of his problems.. now he may have another problem which is idling.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the car doesnt even want to hold an idle. it starts fine and then 3 seconds after it starts it wants to die out. i am posting a video in a few minutes. I have to hold the gas pedal down to keep it alive.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it starts up and is good then bogs so i have to step on the gas pedal to keep it alive

Last edited by -__-; 08-04-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by -__-
the car doesnt even want to hold an idle. it starts fine and then 3 seconds after it starts it wants to die out. i am posting a video in a few minutes. I have to hold the gas pedal down to keep it alive.
Does the engine also run rough or misfire when you press down the gas pedal in neutral or while driving? Or is the car undriveable?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it doesnt misfire or anything. its undriveable because it will not hold an idle. should i turn the idle screw all the way open? it is also running rich
Old 08-04-2009, 05:08 PM

replace the o2 sensor with one from the gsr that possibly could be it too...the way the computer is reading it

ur iacv is bad im betting even though it didnt throw a code for it my 03 was doing the same and i replaced the iacv and didnt have any problems with it till i threw a rod and dropped 4 valves LOL
Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^holy crap. but yeah i cleaned it out and i also replaced it with my friend's that works. maybe i should buy a new one?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:11 PM

u should never ever ever try to clean them or install a new one it fks them up there extreamly sensitive
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the idle problem occurs whether the engine is cold or hot, then the O2 sensor is an unlikely culprit. Focus on the IACV. If you unplug the IACV, is there any effect on the idle speed? If not, replace it.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay. and i dont know if it affects the idle because my car will not even keep itself alive by itself! it just bogs out. i wish it would idle on its own then i could start troubleshooting stuff lol
Old 08-04-2009, 05:33 PM

i recomend replacing the iacv as well as the o2 sensor then focus on the adjustment on the idle screw after that
Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

swapping out IACV and MAP sensor now...will post back after
Old 08-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for telling me about the thread, I seen it earlier but forgot. Let me know if that changes your outcome cause I got the same symptoms
Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay so i changed the IACV and the MAP sensor and it didnt affect it. Im still thinking now its the o2 sensor and its not allowing te car to enter a "closed loop"
next is to change the o2 sensor..anyone have any other suggestions? thanks.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need a little more history on your car. Did you do the swap yourself? did you do the wiring harness? were you able to drive it before your problem?

Try and switch the tps and map sensor plugs. They look the same and are usually switched around. See if that helps. If it doesnt and makes it worst then switch it back.

Also try and adjust your tps sensor. Heres a quick video on how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukPoe5E4Fqg

Also check ignition timing. All these things usually affect rough idling.

Quick Reply: Please HELP!! civic not holding an idle! Car idles ROUGH not erratic