Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please Help: 1997 Honda Civic Hatchback Jerks in 5th Gear on Freeway(3000 rpm->0 rpm)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help: 1997 Honda Civic Hatchback Jerks in 5th Gear on Freeway(3000 rpm->0 rpm)

Hi I have a 1997 Honda Civic Hatchback and it has been having problems on the freeway while I'm in 5th gear.

It began 4 days ago while I was making my usual 2 hour commute on the weekends. Mid-way my commute I was going up a steep hill on the freeway and I noticed that the rpm tachometer was fluctuating between 3000rpm-2000rpm even though I stayed at a constant speed. Then about 30 seconds later it drop from 3000rpm to 0rpm and then I gave it gas and it went back. The car jerked violently. When I was going down the hill same thing happened. When I got to flatter part of the freeway it still continued to happen every 15 minutes of so and sometimes it happened so constantly that it couldnt go back into 5th gear by itself that I had to downshift to 4th then back to 5th. The jerking episodes only occur while im in 5th gear going 70mph or faster.

My guess is either my car's transmission pops out of 5 gear or my synchro is going out.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?
I am not very mechanically inclined and would greatly appreciate any kind of input.

Thank You
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Please Help: 1997 Honda Civic Hatchback Jerks in 5th Gear on Freeway(3000 rpm->0

Any CEL codes?

Remove the ICM inside the distributor and have it tested at an auto parts store.

You can test the coil:

Old 05-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Help: 1997 Honda Civic Hatchback Jerks in 5th Gear on Freeway(3000 rpm->0

i had a 89 crx that did they same thing then i gave it a tune up and i guess it was my cap or something but after that i didnt do it again
Old 05-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Any CEL codes?

Remove the ICM inside the distributor and have it tested at an auto parts store.

You can test the coil:

There are no CEL codes. Alright I will look into having the coil and ICM checked out. Thanks for the informative post.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by max_man4945
i had a 89 crx that did they same thing then i gave it a tune up and i guess it was my cap or something but after that i didnt do it again
Nice to know someone has encountered the same experience.
May i ask what exactly did you tune up?

Thank You
Old 05-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it only occurs in 5th gear, and not only under a load (going down hill in 5th but not on the gas, or at least very light on the gas, to maintain speed downhill) then I would have to say it's a mechanical problem in the transmission. When was the last time you had the manual transmission fluid (MTF) changed or checked? I'd say change your MTF, and if you can filter it through a paint strainer or a strainer of some kind. Check for metal debris (the size of a piece of pencil lead or bigger). It sounds like you might have a gear hanging up. How does the transmission sound when driving? How does reverse feel and sound? I'm not trying to scare you, but if it does it only in 5th reguardless of load and is a violent jerking and the engine rpm drops because of it, it sounds like something is binding in the transmission when you're in 5th gear.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by honda_luvr_2000
If it only occurs in 5th gear, and not only under a load (going down hill in 5th but not on the gas, or at least very light on the gas, to maintain speed downhill) then I would have to say it's a mechanical problem in the transmission. When was the last time you had the manual transmission fluid (MTF) changed or checked? I'd say change your MTF, and if you can filter it through a paint strainer or a strainer of some kind. Check for metal debris (the size of a piece of pencil lead or bigger). It sounds like you might have a gear hanging up. How does the transmission sound when driving? How does reverse feel and sound? I'm not trying to scare you, but if it does it only in 5th reguardless of load and is a violent jerking and the engine rpm drops because of it, it sounds like something is binding in the transmission when you're in 5th gear.
Yes I to believe it is something mechanical inside the transmission. The first time it happened i was using A/C I thought it had something to do with the A/C but it still continued to happen after I shut off the A/C and days after when I stop using A/C. As for the load I had 2 passenger's in the car and a roofrack on top of the car.

I actually went to the Honda Dealership today and purchased 2 bottles of MTF. I plan to change my fluid this weekend. As you suggested, I will filter the oil and check for metal debris. The transmission itself sounds fine. There is no clutch burning it simply feels like my car is shifted into neutral then 5th gear again. However, as stated by the previous owner he claims that he has never replaced the clutch since he owned it. The clutch is extremely soft and has some trouble getting into reverse and sometimes even 4th gear. There are times when I shift the car into reverse that it grinds even when I warmed it up or drove it just minutes before.

As for something being binded in my transmission while in 5th gear, that sounds possible since my car has been grinding in reverse.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it
Old 05-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

narrowed it down to possible culprits:
- Low MTF
- bad synchro's
- bad transmission mounts?

any other ideas?