Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

please convince me....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please convince me....

My friends think I'm retarded for wanting to get rid of my 95 Prelude VTEC, but I really want and need something with more luggage space. My thoughts are instead of getting a Tahoe or something big and dumb, I could go out and pick up a 97-00 Civic HB and throw an H22a1 in for some good power. I'm really stuck in the middle right now and would like some convincing. How reliable is this swap? Will I be able to get better gains out of this or out of a B20/VTEC or other motor? I would really like to steer away from a B16a b/c I know of people who weren't satisfied with the power and swapped it out soon after. What are some of the costs that I am going to have to think about? Kind of a last thought, but one I had... how do you guys insure these cars? Are they just plain old civics or what? I'd really appreciate any help, advice or convincing. So thanks a lot.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:19 AM

Default Re: please convince me.... (95redLUDE)

My friends think I'm retarded for wanting to get rid of my 95 Prelude VTEC, but I really want and need something with more luggage space. My thoughts are instead of getting a Tahoe or something big and dumb, I could go out and pick up a 97-00 Civic HB and throw an H22a1 in for some good power. I'm really stuck in the middle right now and would like some convincing. How reliable is this swap? Will I be able to get better gains out of this or out of a B20/VTEC or other motor? I would really like to steer away from a B16a b/c I know of people who weren't satisfied with the power and swapped it out soon after. What are some of the costs that I am going to have to think about? Kind of a last thought, but one I had... how do you guys insure these cars? Are they just plain old civics or what? I'd really appreciate any help, advice or convincing. So thanks a lot.
B20/VTEC isnt a highly reliable swap - some have good luck, a lot dont.
so dont get a B16A, get a B18C5/R or get a B18B/B20B(Z) and slap a turbo setup on it.
for the H22A swap, you'll have to look to be spending a little more on the suspension, go with http://www.jdmshit.com for mounts n shiet.
as for insuring the car, do you want insurance to cover your motor or not? a choice you'll have to make.
and its 96-00, not only 97-00.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please convince me.... (95redLUDE)

get a tahoe with 24s. nah but if you do that b20vtec right you will love it. prelude motor is reliable, but i say it will ending up costin about the same cause of the swap. its up to you though.