Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Playing in the Snow.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re:

the reason blizzaks are so good is the same reason they wear out so fast they have little tiny bubbles in the rubber which works like a suction cup this gives you the best grip on slippery surfaces

Yay Bubbles!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:14 PM
I Deliver

blizzaks are only super good for one year, then there just good after the top compund wears off. +1 for mich x-ice and bridgestone ultra grip ice.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:02 AM
H-T White Ops

Get a set of winter tires for your car. Especially being a snow n00b. Don't do what my dumb *** did the first winter I was in North Dakota. I figured if I just got two winter tires and put 'em on the front I'd be good. WRONG. The car took off like a bat out of hell but couldn't really steer worth a damn. The *** end would go sliding.
So I got 2 more blizzaks for the rear and the car felt like it was driving on dry pavement.

Also, get used to starting off in 2nd gear. It'll keep you from spinning in place.

Plot out your travel route in your head. Avoid any places where you might be stuck on an upward slope at a red light. Well, until you get your snow tires and then it'll be cake.

Uhmmm, other than that, slow the hell down. Back off the guy in front of you. No matter how much ABS you might have, or how bad *** your snow tires are, your car is going to suck at stoping.

<---6 1/2 year of driving in North Dakota.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Playing in the Snow. (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's by far the worst advice I've ever seen anybody give in all sincerity.

You NEVER downshift in the snow. You want to keep it in the highest gear possible so your wheels aren't torqued. If your wheels overtorqued in snow in a FWD car you WILL understeer - it's simply a matter of time. If your wheels are overtorqued in a RWD car, your back end WILL kick out - it's simply a matter of time. Either way you ALWAYS go for the highest gear possible when driving in snow. You want the least ammount of torque to the wheels as possible, so keeping it at 1.5k RPM's while driving is a good bet.

at you.

Though I guess you kind of make a comeback from your rediculously stupid statement by saying always keep at least half a tank of gas in there. That's for two reasons. One being that it adds to the weight in the back which keeps your rear end...behind you... and secondly, I don't know about any of you but I've been caught in blizzards in upstate NY too bad to drive in and needed to keep the car on for the heat since it was like 30 miles from any town. for keeping at least half a tank in your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knappster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think he was refering to downshifting when it comes to slowing down....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, what the expletive else would I mean?

Syndacate, your a douche bag

and

at you
Old 09-27-2006, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Playing in the Snow. (G2 Speed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Exactly, what the expletive else would I mean?

Syndacate, your a douche bag

and

at you</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your advice still ******* sucks.

"when you want to slow down in snow, DOWNSHIFT"

NEVER DOWNSHIFT IN SNOW!!

Keep high low RPM's, low torque, OUT of the power band, tread lightly, and use your brakes, but don't lock 'em up - simple as that. You NEVER want to downshift in snow, under any conditions. Not for slowing down, not for anything. On the road that's one thing, in snow, no, totally different ball game, you want to keep the tires as loose as possible (highest gear possible). You can call me a douchebag bag all you want, for some ungodly reason I'm actually posting back here tryingto HELP you two.

"Downshift to slow down in SNOW" - I love it.

If there was a book of things NOT to do while driving manual FWD cars in a snow storm, think that'd be number 1 or 2.

At the OP:
Dont' downshift in snow - whatever you do, it creates jumps in torque, which brakes the wheels lose, even on a D15b7. What you wanna do is start off light, maybe only get to 2k RPM's before second gear, you wanna climb the gears as fast as possible and STAY in a higher gear. In order to slow down use your damn brake - do not downshift or you'll put more torque into the wheels and understeer if your car's wheels are even 5º off dead center. Becareful when you brake in snow though because the wheels'll be locked before you know it - and that's not good. Does the same thing as downshifting - creates understeer and sliding.

to people who follow some worthless myth that it's good to downshift in snow like it is on dry ground.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Playing in the Snow. (Syndacate)

WTF are you rambling about this time? I can't understand that ****.

Anyways, downshifting when coming to a stop is a good excercise, when you revmatch. Just make sure to leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you.

You're torque argument is B.S. if you're not stomping on the gas. Remember, we're talking about hondas and not your late 80s mullet-mobile.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Playing in the Snow. (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WTF are you rambling about this time? I can't understand that ****.

Anyways, downshifting when coming to a stop is a good excercise, when you revmatch. Just make sure to leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you.

You're torque argument is B.S. if you're not stomping on the gas. Remember, we're talking about hondas and not your late 80s mullet-mobile.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you

Syndacate your honestly the biggest idiot, I swear you try to make your post long, just cause you think people will belive you, but your information is ******* stupid... OP take some advice, from some one who can drive, and not idiot boy

I remember one time coming home from school, if I applied the brakes my car would slide, even lightly.. I have abs too, but I'm not going to rely on that.. I had to drive 30 minutes from my school to my house, downshifting all the way, I did not touch my brakes once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I obviously made it home without going in a ditch, like the 50+ cars I saw on the drive home.. from jeeps to wrx sti's.. that was sad

So seriously, stop it with this wheel torque ****..
Old 09-27-2006, 07:23 AM

cripple fight!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:59 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I find it hilarious that two 18-year olds are arguing about overgeneralized driving techniques. Perhaps you should get another 4-5 winters of experience before becoming authorities on driving?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Syndacate your honestly the biggest idiot, I swear you try to make your post long, just cause you think people will belive you, but your information is ******* stupid... OP take some advice, from some one who can drive, and not idiot boy</TD></TR></TABLE>
Just ignore him like the rest of us do. It seems like he posts just to read his own words. He generally has very little useful or even correct information, and obviously has way too much time on his hands.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Playing in the Snow. (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I find it hilarious that two 18-year olds are arguing about overgeneralized driving techniques. Perhaps you should get another 4-5 winters of experience before becoming authorities on driving?

Just ignore him like the rest of us do. It seems like he posts just to read his own words. He generally has very little useful or even correct information, and obviously has way too much time on his hands.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have had 3 years of winter driving , ermm canadian winters, so that's like 15 years

1 year auto, 2 Sticky

but yes I agree I should just ignore him
Old 10-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Test Drove a Nissan Murano this weekend.

'00 Civic EX 4 sale.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beandip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beandip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Test Drove a Nissan Murano this weekend.

'00 Civic EX 4 sale. </TD></TR></TABLE>

okay?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (G2 Speed)

just slap on some decent all season tires, drive slow, and everything will be good to go.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

okay?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im the OP.

Kee up, its not that hard.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beandip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beandip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im the OP.

Kee up, its not that hard. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my bad
Old 10-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

/this thread

for muranos.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

Yeah they're pretty cool. I love the rear view Camera for backing up. It handled a lot better then I expected. I didnt feel like I was driving an SUV.

I'm talking to a guy that has a Turbo'd Murano ~400hp AWD.