Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago...

i have 2.25" piping with an es oval muffler. Can you guys tell if my piping is mandrel or crush bent by looking at it? I'm not sure and would like to know. I called the place i got it done and they said they had no clue what kind i had because they just randomly use whatever kind of piping they have in the shop ...sorry for the shitty pics. I was blindly taking them without looking through the camera.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (SOHC_MShue)

that pipe is crushed
Old 06-07-2003, 11:07 AM

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (SOHC_MShue)

with crush bent exhausts, u would see folds on the concave side of the bends and a reduction in diameter at every bend. i cant really tell from the pic but the muffler looks nice
Old 06-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (b20bastard)

damn it
Old 06-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (Racerage1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racerage1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with crush bent exhausts, u would see folds on the concave side of the bends and a reduction in diameter at every bend. i cant really tell from the pic but the muffler looks nice </TD></TR></TABLE>

well they definantely don't have folds...can anyone else tell? i was thinking that too because i saw that i don't have any folds and i thought crush had them..
Old 06-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hard to tell from the pics. What did you pay for it. If it was like 100 bucks, then it's probably crush.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (rodrez)

i payed 200 for it, but i may have been ripped...who knows. I got it done at meineke....the place is kinda shady if you ask me. The guy completely fucked up installing my muffler in the first place...he installed it crooked and sitting back really far. He also installed a damn ricer tip on it to line it up or some ****. Then they charged me extra for the damn tip which i didn't even tell them to put on there ...which actually brought my bill up around 250 because they charged me extra for it.....i ended up taking to a different shop to get my muffler fixed and that damn tip chopped off...which cost me another 80 bucks.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:25 AM

Most larger franchised muffler shops like Meineke and Midas do crush bends.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (acuracing)

yea thats what i thought...,but i called them and they said that they just use whatever they have laying around so there is no way of telling what the hell they used for my exhaust. ...do crush bends always have those little creases at the bends?
Old 06-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea thats what i thought...,but i called them and they said that they just use whatever they have laying around so there is no way of telling what the hell they used for my exhaust. ...do crush bends always have those little creases at the bends?</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not a matter of what kinda pipe is laying around the shop, its if they can mandrel bend or crush bend the pipe, the pipe it self doesnt matter. yours looks mandrel bent as far as i can see but the pics arent to clear so i dunno. anywho it looks nice and they did a job fitting the muffler
Old 06-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (HybridHatchC1)

haha yea the second place i went to did a sweet job fitting the muffler, but meineke did the shittiest job ever. After i got the muffler fixed i could tell i had better performance and my exhaust sounds way better. It is much much deeper and a little bit louder now.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try taking pic 1 over again but from the front tire area looking back at the middle of the bend. That should help us out.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason I think it's crushed, in this pic, if you look at where the piping is a bit darker, right in the middle, it looks like the shape changes a bit.

Old 06-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (rodrez)

ahh i see it, but its a werid *** bend then
Old 06-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (HybridHatchC1)

its crushed. they know excacty wut they where doing. they just chosed not to tell you. mandrel is smooth all the way though the bends. most muffler shop do not mandrel bend on premises.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can also tell buy that pic. you see the line where it was bent.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (CleanHatch)

Glad you got it all fit up right man! Just seems like we both have crappy luck with exhaust fitment the first time around
Old 06-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (b20bastard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20bastard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that pipe is crushed</TD></TR></TABLE>its stretch bent not crushed. just like honda piping.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (eh neo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eh neo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its stretch bent not crushed. just like honda piping.</TD></TR></TABLE> ur right! i couldnt get the term for it. they use a bending machine for it.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:16 PM

Default Re: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago... (CleanHatch)

doesn't look crushed. From now on, do your own exhaust work. dont let those ******** mess with your car. its really easy.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i payed 200 for it, but i may have been ripped...who knows. I got it done at meineke....the place is kinda shady if you ask me. The guy completely fucked up installing my muffler in the first place...he installed it crooked and sitting back really far. He also installed a damn ricer tip on it to line it up or some ****. Then they charged me extra for the damn tip which i didn't even tell them to put on there ...which actually brought my bill up around 250 because they charged me extra for it.....i ended up taking to a different shop to get my muffler fixed and that damn tip chopped off...which cost me another 80 bucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't mean to be an a** but I would NOT have let them charge me for something that I didn't ask for nor would I have left not being happy with the way that the muffler was installed.

I know what you mean about Meineke .. the one in my town is always looking for ways to shaft me
Old 06-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you shoulda bought parts, and just done it yourself. it's not hard.
but, sorry for your loss
Old 06-07-2003, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you get the es oval from? how low is it really? compared to let's say tanabe or greddy evo...
Old 06-08-2003, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4drpimpin)

i got the exhaust done a while ago when i didn't know any better to buy my own parts and stuff. Also i can't do any welding myself so thats one reason i took it there. One of my idiot friends told me the guy from meineke did good work when he obviously sucks. You would think he knows what he is doing since supposedly he has a crx with a turbo b16 in it that he swapped everything in himself. I hear he likes to ghetto rig all his **** though . When i asked him why he couldn't fit the muffler properly he said that the spare tire well got in the way....that was such a crock of bs and i should have realized it at the time, but i guess i didn't know any better. I'm almost tempted to just get completely new piping and redo my exhaust just to have the satisfaction of knowing that barry from meineke didn't do the work himself, but i have already dropped way too much money into getting this exhaust fixed the way i want it and i'm not spending another dime.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

doesnt look crushed to me but a fucked up atempt at manderal bending

Quick Reply: pics of my es oval custom exhaust setup i got done a while ago...