Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Performance springs with least lowering..

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Performance springs with least lowering..

Hi all. I think the title pretty much sums up what I'm looking for. My civic is my daily driver, and I just want to do a little improving to the handling. The car leans way more in corners than even a mild factory suspension setup should allow. I put new oem shocks on the car, which helped, and I also put a 99-00 Si swaybar in the rear, which helped get the rear end around corners a lot better. The car is still just way too soft for even normal driving though. My girlfriend's New Beetle handles SO much better.

I know that my 14" wheels aren't helping, but I am not going to buy new wheels any time soon as I have a new set of Sumitomo 185/60's ready to go on my factory wheels as soon as the current tires are done. Hopefully the slightly lower and stiffer sidewall will make a noticeable difference. I'm scared of putting bigger wheels and tires on the car anyway as it is already pathetically slow, and honestly I don't want to spend a bunch on money on this car. All that I feel the car really needs is somewhat flatter cornering.

So, what springs do you guys recommend? I don't want to lower the car any more than absolutely necessary. I hate the slammed look on an economy car, and I don't want to scrape on bad roads or when I go down a dirt road, or have to spend a bunch of money on parts to adjust the camber. I also don't want a harsh ride.

I am looking at the factory SI springs, the Eiback Pro-kit, and possibly some integra springs. I would really prefer to maintain the factory ride height, or as close as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions or any experience with the springs I am already looking at that they would like to share.

Thanks in advance guys.

Derek

P.S. I should probably add that the car is a 1998 EX Sedan with a 5-speed, so it isn't exactly a lightweight for a civic. With a full tank and my 10" sub in the trunk, it weighs about 2600 lbs.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Performance springs with least lowering..

I predict that hondatech will suggest ground control, like always.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:54 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Progress coilovers. I got a set, waiting to put on the car. Heard good stuff about them.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:57 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoneyTT
I am looking at the factory SI springs, the Eiback Pro-kit, and possibly some integra springs.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so what am I supposed to get from these responses?

Ferio wants me to spend $1000 on my $2500 economy car. I'm sure those struts are nice, but come on. Not really in line with my question.

Shoutout makes a prediction that in no way helps me. Are you saying that ground control is what you would recommend, or what?

Grumble just reposts a couple words from previous posts to explain how you get to 20,000 or whatever ridiculous number of posts. By having nothing to say, and saying it a lot.

Honda-tech, I really expected better from you. I have searched and read up on different springs, but it is not often that information regarding ride height is actually just discussed. Usually something like, "My ride is so dope and slammed now", or "I wish it were lower to tuck my (enter random wheel make)."

So, I guess eibach's pro-kit is about the least drop I can find according to available data. Any reason I should avoid these springs?
Old 06-07-2014, 09:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

IV never used em but usually when people ask about springs thats the generic response.

they're made by that company you're talking about so their products are good quality
Old 06-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, thanks shoutout. That's some help I can put to good use.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:23 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

I paid less than 700 dollars for the progress coilovers.. where did you get 1000?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Where did you get 20,000?

edit: Since you can't really see what someone pointed out to you than I suggest you do more research. HINT: you answered your own question on springs, I have to question the struts you purchased.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:08 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by DMoneyTT
Okay, so what am I supposed to get from these responses?

Ferio wants me to spend $1000 on my $2500 economy car. I'm sure those struts are nice, but come on. Not really in line with my question.

Shoutout makes a prediction that in no way helps me. Are you saying that ground control is what you would recommend, or what?

Grumble just reposts a couple words from previous posts to explain how you get to 20,000 or whatever ridiculous number of posts. By having nothing to say, and saying it a lot.

Honda-tech, I really expected better from you. I have searched and read up on different springs, but it is not often that information regarding ride height is actually just discussed. Usually something like, "My ride is so dope and slammed now", or "I wish it were lower to tuck my (enter random wheel make)."

So, I guess eibach's pro-kit is about the least drop I can find according to available data. Any reason I should avoid these springs?
Oh I see. You want hand holding. And if you don't get it you'll just insult people? And WTF did shotoutacc0rd write that was "helpful"? There's a suspension forum with a big fat stickied post that pretty much answers this same question. Over and over and over and over.

The least drop was the combo I quoted. OEM springs, higher spring rate, minimal drop. Guess your research didn't tell you about those.
Now, if you get ADJUSTABLES, you can adjust them to whatever height you want!!!! Don't need research to figure that one out.

You aren't the only person in the history of H-T to ask this question. I don't ride slammed. I have a 1.5" drop and that's about as low as I want to go. BTW, I'm running Progress CS2 with an automatic drop of 1" due to the shortened shock body. I think I've said that in a couple of threads since I've owned these so you must not have researched very well. A thousand dollars???!!!! Pffft! Now I know you didn't really research. Maybe just lowering springs.

Oh. Why NOT get just lowering springs? Even good ones like Eibach? They might not be hard on the wallet but.... Uneven right height. Lowering springs almost NEVER leave your car sitting at an even ride height. I think I've said that over the years as well. Research. Meh. YOu'll get them and be back whining about how your car is sitting at an uneven height.

And another person that can't rationalize spending any "real" money on his car but wants the equivalent of more expensive product on it. Pardon him for mentioning "expensive: stuff, Maybe next time you should post up a budget. You know. Parameters. Criteria. So you can get more focused responses. But looking at your own suggestions I'm thinking you're trying to stick to about $200-$300 max.

I usually expect better of people that post up on H-T with the internet at their fingertips. I guess that's too much to hope for.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 06-08-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

who cares 2.5K dd ppl use that as an excuse to be cheap if you don't want to drop money into why not get GOOD tires(under 200UTQG), when winter comes around store them. I have a set of AD08R's that belong with my teg but when it's being worked on I throw them on my FIT big diff over it's standard 300+ UTQG "all seasons".

205/40 advan neova AD08's will run you $800+ but well worth it RE-11's are worth a look too
Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Man, grunble goes hard in the paint..
Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I said that the eibach products are good quality and answered his question
Old 06-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.tein.com/products/high_tech.html
Old 06-08-2014, 11:42 AM
The Grumpiest

http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/...over-kits.html
Old 06-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Dude.......you're not really helping with your b.s.

edit: sorry was talkin to shoutout.