Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek

Hi, if u guys have an aftermarket steering wheel did u guys wire in a resistor for the airbag? if so what size resistor did u get? TIA
Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek (goofyej6)

Nope, didn't wire up anything. Just removed the stock wheel and airbag and drive around with the SRS light on.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek (Marauder)

ttt. friend would like the srs light off so the passenger side airbag will blow in case of accident
Old 07-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm, interested to see if anyones done this as well
Old 07-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goofyej6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ttt. friend would like the srs light off so the passenger side airbag will blow in case of accident </TD></TR></TABLE>

Put the drivers airbag back in! LOL
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Put the drivers airbag back in! LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahahah, no crap.

You guys kill me with all the "I know this is illegal and I'm going to take it out and do what I want, but I want it to work like it's supossed to anyway, even though it can hurt/kill me when I expletive around with it!" lol.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You guys kill me with all the "I know this is illegal and I'm going to take it out and do what I want, but I want it to work like it's supossed to anyway, even though it can hurt/kill me when I expletive around with it!" lol. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i had an aftermarket steering wheel with detachable hub for security until my gf and my mom put it in perspective for me...

$5000 car vs. Life/Lives

but to answer the question.. there was a thread about the resistor... however, it did nothing except remove the light (from what i remember the passenger side still would not function) so for the time i had the aftermarket wheel.. i just disconnected the plug from the cluster and no more light
Old 07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek (EeeJayEight)

Old 07-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump b4 work
Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EeeJayEight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had an aftermarket steering wheel with detachable hub for security until my gf and my mom put it in perspective for me...

$5000 car vs. Life/Lives

but to answer the question.. there was a thread about the resistor... however, it did nothing except remove the light (from what i remember the passenger side still would not function) so for the time i had the aftermarket wheel.. i just disconnected the plug from the cluster and no more light </TD></TR></TABLE>

sometimes airbags hurt more than they help.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek (SkRiBLaH)

yea... i was in that same mentality until an ex girlfriend of mine got into a head on accident and walked away without a scratch and the other person had a busted face... she had an airbag he didnt...

however.. i do agree with your point seeing as i have seen many people bruised really badly from a collision in which the airbag deployed when it was not necessary...

so i guess this arguement goes both ways...

for me i just put it back because i figured the car makers put them there for a reason..
Old 07-12-2006, 09:54 AM
B A N N E D

when you buy a wheel is normally comes with the wires you need
i use momo steering wheels, they are nice
Old 07-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek (thacivicguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thacivicguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you buy a wheel is normally comes with the wires you need
i use momo steering wheels, they are nice</TD></TR></TABLE>

??? what are you refering too???

the wires needed to fool the airbag harness?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 07-16-2006, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rofl I really doubt they would come with that being that it's illegal to take the airbag. I just don't see a company "helping" you with that.

Airbag actually made the underside of my nose and most of the area around my mouth a big scab but I still prefer to have it. I coulda been thrown through the windshield in that case.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jorsher)

BTW the momo hub is designed to collapse in an accident. not much, but its better than a solid peice!

Old 07-16-2006, 07:54 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EeeJayEight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea... i was in that same mentality until an ex girlfriend of mine got into a head on accident and walked away without a scratch and the other person had a busted face... she had an airbag he didnt...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Air bags are not a substitute for seat belts.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Air bags are not a substitute for seat belts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats true they go hand in hand!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek (Got Utensils)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Air bags are not a substitute for seat belts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

both were wearing seat belts
Old 07-16-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Re: (SkRiBLaH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW the momo hub is designed to collapse in an accident. not much, but its better than a solid peice!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

All cars since 1968 have collapsible steering colums
Old 07-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (packthis)

how can your face hit the steering wheel if you're wearing a seat belt? even if your car was crushed, steering wheels are only up to your chin, at the highest.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it matter how low each car is? cuz i've been in two head-on's and no airbag or anithing..they werent that bad..i had to do entire front repair..but is there a certain pressure or height that needs pressure to the bumper or something?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrm, even if u disregard the fact that it's illegal to remove ur stock airbags (and I really do hope u get caught because these ar the same people that are claiming body kits, spoilers, aftermarket seats, etc. are rice while they intall their new aftermarket steering wheel) then you're left with the decision factor of hte airbags, some say they 'cause more harm than good, I don't know, I've only been riding shot gun when they deployed on me so I dunno if the passenger's side feels different or what but it's always been a nice soft landing for me, lil burn on my shoulder if I"m wearing a seatbelt and a few cuts and scrapes on my face from the airbag and broken glass but I was all right (mostly from the airbag) - on the flipside, many pple say the airbag kills... So iono who to believe,

What I also do know is a bit over a year ago I flipped my friend's '70 plymouth barracuda..fully restored with the original 440 in there (restored as well) and I rolled about 6/10 times (not sure how many exactly) at about 125mph and I g2 say, I got the **** KICKED OUTTA ME in that car... If you disclude all the glass shards from the non-saftey glass windows I still had an assload of bruises from the roof but the steering wheel..wow, I musta nailed that a good 4 or 5 times and I was bleeding profusely from my mouth because of it, needless to say I was really fucked up and later fainted due to blood loss, I g2 say that I would have preferred airbags.. But then maybe if u take the speed that I flipped it at into account then does that cancel out my claim to airbags? I don't know, but I really would have liked air bags because like I said, I was really fucked up when I crawled outta there...

Wow, I hate thinking of that accident, my friend still says **** to me about that car even though it was over a year ago, funny that he still cares about me b/c that car was probably worth a good 40 grand easily (new paint job etc.) and it was completely uninsured (only had collision on it, not comprehensive) so after that loss he's still good friends to me whereis if that was my car and somebody fucked it up, I would be kickin the **** outta them everytime I saw them...

With that out of the way, I guess airbags really do lower the chance of ur *** dying in the event of a really bad accident, I guarnatee you with or w/o airbags in good portion of new model cars today, especially honda civics that if I was to get into that same exact accident there is NO WAY I would have survived because that thing was like all steel and it was still crushed down on the roof to about the hood... But that's old steel cars versus new cheap crap... So in the event of a hard shot, an airbag will help u, even if the deployment ***** u up a bit witth a bloody nose (w/o one I had blood in the whole seat & roof), but that's my only experience where the cockpit got fucked up and I didn't have airbags so maybe I can't make a proper claim as to which is better, I would recommend tho that u reinstall ur airbags... if you just pull the dummy light from ur cluster the light'll shut off, with ur aftermarket steering wheelt he steering wheel airbag will be disconnected & non-existant but ur passenger should still work....w/ steering wheels is about the only time I'd recommend JDM, instad of some aftermarket sparco crap w/ red buttons for ur NOS :-P get a JDM stock - look nice and have an airbag..

I don't know, that's my $.02 based on my experience..but like I said, my experience has a skewed factor to it...what u do is up to you..

Originally Posted by SyDuck
how can your face hit the steering wheel if you're wearing a seat belt? even if your car was crushed, steering wheels are only up to your chin, at the highest.
No, if the rachetting setup in teh seatbelt is working properly u shouldn't move forward enough to plow into the steering wheel, I did when I wrecked my friend's car b/c it wasn't a shoulder strap, only had a 2 point lapbelt which I had on (which probably saved my *** none-the-less)... I mean in a hard shot u'll get forced forward a lot u won' thit b/c the seat belt will lock but in a roll over or side swipe it's still possible to hit the steering wheel as most of hte force isn't forward and the seatbelt won't always lock..

But at OP:
Do what ya want man, iz ur car, definately, just besta luck to u either way (airbag or not) if ur in an accident
Old 07-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

jesus christ man how could you crash someone elses car like that?! Could understand if that was your car and you just being stupid but someone elses car.

Anyways I would rather just keep the airbags. Its not worth it.

Quick Reply: People w/ aftermarket steering wheels in an ek