Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Password JDM reliable swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Password JDM reliable swap?

i was wondering if password jdm was a good place to order a swap. i know hmotorsonline is the best, but pw jdm is cheaper kinda =p.

http://passwordjdm.com/B16A-Gen2-OBD...P1572C201.aspx

oh yeah and can anyone classify what year is the swap. Getting annoyed at having a 99 hatch and have to abide by cal swap law.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Password JDM reliable swap?

gen 2 obd1 is 92-95
Old 03-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lsvtec63
gen 2 obd1 is 92-95
Yes, that means it is probably from a del sol. Honda started using OBD II on all its cars after 1996 (if I'm not mistaken), which means that you will have to find yourself an OBD II motor to make it legit in CA

Good luck
Old 03-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A++++ avitar...
Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aasarsak
Yes, that means it is probably from a del sol. Honda started using OBD II on all its cars after 1996 (if I'm not mistaken), which means that you will have to find yourself an OBD II motor to make it legit in CA

Good luck
it's not from a del sol. If it were OBD1 from a del Sol it would be a B16A3.

it's JDM. there's not USDM B16A, and there's definitely not a USDM (stock) B16 with 170hp.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The B16A Gen2 OBD1 Motor Swap from Password JDM is a JDM motor the closest thing USDM is the 92-95 Del Sol. I just finished the swap in my EJ8 and you do have to get the OBD2 to OBD1 conversion. I got mine from HMotorsonline and it came with brand new shift linkage, new axles, exhaust downpipe (from what i was told alot of engines don't usually come w/ it) and motor mounts, they also gave me the rear tranny mount off the 99 Si which i needed. The engine is a 92-95 JDM B16A SiR2 from the Civic/Integra. Also if you do the swap the engine harness will most likely be cut. The easy way around this is get a wiring harness from the 92-95 Del Sol B16. You might still have to do a little fabing.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

aasarsak ---your right 96 up obd 2

you will need to get a obd 2 motor.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 98civdx
aasarsak ---your right 96 up obd 2

you will need to get a obd 2 motor.

True it would be easier.... but the OBD1 is better for tuning, less restrictive and same potential. The havent said where they live or if they have to worry about emissions testing. Where i live we dont.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by DerrtyByrd

True it would be easier.... but the OBD1 is better for tuning, less restrictive and same potential. The havent said where they live or if they have to worry about emissions testing. Where i live we dont.
if you read the post you will see that he says he lives in cali.
and there you cant put an older motor in the car. if its obd 2 car motor has to be obd 2
Old 03-01-2009, 12:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 98civdx
if you read the post you will see that he says he lives in cali.
and there you cant put an older motor in the car. if its obd 2 car motor has to be obd 2
my bad he put "cal" not cali didnt see that... damn it sucks to live in cali... so question if your car is registered in a different state you dont have to do the emissions test i cali, right?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Master Detailer

my bad he put "cal" not cali didnt see that... damn it sucks to live in cali... so question if your car is registered in a different state you dont have to do the emissions test i cali, right?
yea it does suck for him lol chp are dick heads.
right, if you register it some where else you dont have to, but im sure they thought of that and have some way to figure that crap out.
but im not 100% sure i know that i live in tac and i can register my car with my brother in tri cities and i dont have to test, but im not sure about the state thing with cali.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

obd2 to obd1 conversion harness is like 30-60 depending on where you get it, then you can tune away. Not a huge deal.

OP that price doesnt seem much better than HMO, and look how clean that dudes motor is that he got from HMO. Just get it from them.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:22 PM

aya thanks for feedback guess i have to resort to a b18b or b20 just to make it freakin legal. not willing to spend 3k+ for motor. btw if a cop finds an older swap it your car what would happen impound or ticket?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:24 PM

bump cuz i have a jdm d15b (non vtec) right now in my car and not really sure if thats legal.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One of my friends is a CHP officer. The only ones who would even know what they are looking at under your hood are required to take a class on identifying illegal modifications.

That being said, if you look at the head on the aluminum part closest to the radiator, you will see 3 little circles with numbers stamped into them. If the officer has taken the class, all he has to do is look at the stamp on the head to see what year car it is from. If the year of your car (as listed on the registration) is older than the year stamped on the motor, you might be in trouble.

He cannot impound your car. the only thing he can do is cite your for a modified emissions control system, and require you to go see a state referee.

Don't even try to pull anything on those state referees. They have seen it all, and once they fail your car, they will give you some time to correct the modification(s). If you fail to pass the referee's inspection, the referee will report your car to the DMV as being not smog legal, and revoke your registration until you are able to have the car meet all emissions requirements.

If this happens, you will not be able to drive your car (legally) until the referee says you are good to go.

I got a referee ticket, and that was the last straw. I'm leaving this state as soon as i transfer to a university. I have had it with this damn state. No guns, no fun cars, and too many friggin people!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One of my friends is a CHP officer. The only ones who would even know what they are looking at under your hood are required to take a class on identifying illegal modifications.

That being said, if you look at the head on the aluminum part closest to the radiator, you will see 3 little circles with numbers stamped into them. If the officer has taken the class, all he has to do is look at the stamp on the head to see what year car it is from. If the year of your car (as listed on the registration) is older than the year stamped on the motor, you might be in trouble.

He cannot impound your car. the only thing he can do is cite your for a modified emissions control system, and require you to go see a state referee.

Don't even try to pull anything on those state referees. They have seen it all, and once they fail your car, they will give you some time to correct the modification(s). If you fail to pass the referee's inspection, the referee will report your car to the DMV as being not smog legal, and revoke your registration until you are able to have the car meet all emissions requirements.

If this happens, you will not be able to drive your car (legally) until the referee says you are good to go.

I got a referee ticket, and that was the last straw. I'm leaving this state as soon as i transfer to a university. I have had it with this damn state. No guns, no fun cars, and too many friggin people!

but the hookers are better...
Old 03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't know. I guess you can't miss something you know nothing about. I'm so glad I've never had to stoop to that level. haha.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Mag00n
obd2 to obd1 conversion harness is like 30-60 depending on where you get it, then you can tune away. Not a huge deal.

OP that price doesnt seem much better than HMO, and look how clean that dudes motor is that he got from HMO. Just get it from them.
thanks... yeah i was suprised how clean it was to. I just had to change out the plugs and get a power steering belt from a 95 del sol cuz the one i had wouldnt work.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

But if your car is registered somewhere else they cant say anything, cuz ur car has to be legal in the state it is registered in. Cali has the strictess smog laws so jus check out your nearby states or states u have relatives staying in register there and your good to go. Trust me thats how us military guys get away wit it.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice try, but that won't work either. When was the last time you thumbed through a DMV handbook? The only way to legally "garage" a vehicle registered in another state in the state of california is to be domiciled. Typically this is not possible for anyone other than members of the military. Any vehicle that is garaged in the state of california for more than 30 days must be registered with the CA Department of Motor Vehicles.

I'm in the military too, I know. This guy doesn't have a chance because he isn't a servicemember. I could technically have my car registered in any state I want as long as I'm on active duty, the CA DMV can't touch my car. They couldn't even require me to have it smogged here. I'm a reservist now, so that trick doesn't even work for me. I can't wait to go back on active duty...
Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Nice try, but that won't work either. When was the last time you thumbed through a DMV handbook? The only way to legally "garage" a vehicle registered in another state in the state of california is to be domiciled. Typically this is not possible for anyone other than members of the military. Any vehicle that is garaged in the state of california for more than 30 days must be registered with the CA Department of Motor Vehicles.

I'm in the military too, I know. This guy doesn't have a chance because he isn't a servicemember. I could technically have my car registered in any state I want as long as I'm on active duty, the CA DMV can't touch my car. They couldn't even require me to have it smogged here. I'm a reservist now, so that trick doesn't even work for me. I can't wait to go back on active duty...
Yeah he's jus screwed. But how would they know if his car was there for 30 days unless he says somethin... where was u stationed im at ft campbell? Not tryin to get of the subject here.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, I would imagine that it would all come back around eventually. Either he would get pulled over, or go through a checkpoint, addresses wouldn't match up, tax information, blah blah blah you get the idea...

Besides, he would have to have an out of state driver's license to be able to register his car there (only us military guys get to register our cars out of state with unmatching licenses). I just think it would be more trouble that it is worth. I suppose if he really wanted to, he could pull it off... Who konws, maybe he might join the military after reading this post just so he could get away with it. haha

I was at Bragg
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM

i do as well
but on vietnamese food..
i'll last a week then go home.
then again.... what's smog laws like in texas?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no idea. It's Bush's state, and he is all about destoying the environment, so I must assume that they are pretty relaxed. haha
Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Who konws, maybe he might join the military after reading this post just so he could get away with it. haha

I was at Bragg
Okay thats fukn halarious... i would wish this on no man, we might be able to tolerate/enjoy this military life, but i work in finance separations and i get to here everyones crazy story on why they are gettin out... and omg i could tell u some of the things ive heard. But hey after he got back from deploying 2-3 times in a row he could do anything he wanted to his civic. But im no recruiter. lol

Quick Reply: Password JDM reliable swap?