Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Part Suggestions...LONG...Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part Suggestions...LONG...Please read!

have decided I'm going to be stripping down my car to nearly a rolling chassis, and start over again the right way. I've decided on most of the parts, but there are a few I'm undecided on. I want you suggestions for each function:

Suspension:
1) Shocks: I would like Tein coilovers(or Zeal B6, Apexi, or HKS), but I'd like a more economical suggestion for the time being...Koni Yellows with Skunk2 or GC coilovers? I'm looking to really slam it.

2) LCA's: SSR? I'm not sure if they make them for the 5gen coupe. Any other LCA's I should consider?

2) Roll bar: ??

3) Tie bar: ??

4) Camber kit?

5) Other suspension mods I should consider???

Braking:
1) I need to get a GSR disc swap. Where should I look for the complete setup?

2) I would like to get the Wilwood "big brake" kit for the F & R, but I'm thinking the AEM Big Brake kit, with Project U pads, and Goodridge SS lines should be fine?

3) Any other braking sugestions? Rotor size? # of pistons for each caliper? Pads? Lines?

Wheels:
1) I want a set of 16" wheels. I would like a set of JDM wheels(something like Work, 5Zigen, Gabb, Volk, or Rota's). I am looking for suggestions. I'd like them to be either all bronze, or black with polished lip. I am willing to spend a nice amount on these. They are going to need to last me a while.

Exhaust:
1) I have a d16 right now, but am planning on swapping in a b18C1 soon. My current muffler is WAY too loud and has an annoying buzz to it. Is there a muffler I can get that will transfer over to the B18? I was thinking of building up one of 2.25 mandrel bent piping, and throwing on a HKS or Apexi universal exhaust. Suggestions?

I think thats as far as I'm going now. I will be posting more as I get to the exterior, interior, and motor work.

Thanks alot!
Spike
Old 06-08-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Part Suggestions...LONG...Please read! (BikeSpike)

I think you'd have more luck with replies if you broke this up into topics for each section.

With that said, I'll give ya my $.02 about some of the stuff.

Suspension:

1). Koni yellows with Ground Controls is the way I'd go. You can get custom springs, and this setup should be fine for a non-dedicated racecar.

2). SRR LCAs are available for a 5th Gen, you can contact http://www.perpetualconcepts.com to get them. There are a couple other LCAs floating around, SPC and two others that I don't know the brand names of. Contact vtecvoodoo for SPC LCAs, and BodyKitsNW for another kind. There's a third one as well that has been talked about in the ITR forum, but I don't recall the name.

3). Autopower makes nice, economical rollbars. There's a group buy going on now for them at http://www.groupbuycenter.com Other than that, I'm sure there are companies that make more expensive, more safety-laden, weld-in cages. I don't know enough about this to give a lot of info though.

4). Pic whatever tie bar you like. They all basically work the same. I like the Comptech sway bar/tie bar combo myself.

5). Not sure about the camber kit. I know there are some that are more adjustable than others. Only advice I can offer is to do a search.

6). You should consider upgrading your sway bar.

Braking:

Check out http://www.fastbrakes.com

Wheels:

1). Rotas are not JDM.

There are many high-quality, light weight, forged wheels available. I like Volk Racing CE28Ns.

Exhaust:

1). Mufflers are universal. Get whichever one you like. HKS and APEX'i are loud, but have a better tone than generic mufflers (IMHO). I have a T1R, and love it. N1 canister, great sound. Loud, but I like it You can find them at http://www.randdmotorsports.com

Hope this helps!
Old 06-09-2003, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DelSolGuy,
Thanks ALOT for your post. It was very helpful!

Spike
Old 06-09-2003, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

suspension

1. koni yellows/ground control coilovers. economical for what you are getting compared to a JDM threaded-body 'true coilover' set up.

2. although they look really good, unless your stock ones are bent buying aluminum rear lower control arms isn't the best way to spend your money. see #6.

3. autopower and kirk are the standard go to guys when it comes to bolt in rollbars/cages.

4. find a tiebar that will fit with a beaks/bsq kit on the rear. see #6.

5. camber kits are basically up to how much adjustability you want. if you just want to bolt something on that will do the job w/o being adjustable, get a progress kit. if you want adjustable, check out spc stuff.

6. get a type r rear sway bar. nothing helps handling like rotation. here's the parts list(straight from bsq himself):
1.) Go to http://www.acuraautomotivepart...t.jsp and enter the following part numbers to order:
52300-ST7-Z01 rear swaybar
52315-ST7-Z01 swaybar bushing (2 needed)
52308-SS0-000 bushing bracket (2 needed)
52316-ST7-Z00 endlink bushing (2 needed)
52312-ST7-Z00 endlink bushing collar (4 needed) – this part can be reused from the stock swaybar
90175-ST7-Z00 bolt (8x35) (2 needed)
94050-08080 flange nut (8mm) (2 needed)
Cost ~$85 shipped.
2.) Go to http://www.geocities.com/bretq/mounting_kit.html to order Type-R rear swaybar mounting/reinforcement kit (aka BSQ mounting kit). Cost $20 shipped.
Total cost for everything ~$105 shipped.

braking

http://fastbrakes.com

wheels

1. if you are willing to spend alot of money on these, then spend the time finding exactly what you want. find something with the right offset(so the won't rub) and have good inside clearance(so you don't have to modify your brakes). take your time picking the right ones and you'll feel a little better about spending alot.

exhaust

1. like you said, mandel bent piping, some universal muffler, and the key to keeping the sound down: the longest resonator you can fit under the car!

2. do not get a test pipe. be good to my grandkids and buy a highflow cat.

good luck!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HansonSaid,
Wow! Your post was most hepful. The Type R swaybar setup sound's perfect. Thanks for the details on that!

Now, all I need is my paycheck, and I'll be set!

Spike
Old 06-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody else?
Old 06-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 06-09-2003, 03:18 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money and get some $100 coilovers off ebay.

Really slammed does not a racecar make.

or

1) Ground Control coil-overs with 800f/1000r Eibach ERS so you can really slam it and not destroy your expensive shocks. Have Lee at Koni set you up with custom shortened and revalved Konis.

2) Using anything other than stock LCAs is illegal in most racing classes. You can usually get away with Integra or Civic EX sedan LCAs, though.

3) Don't bother

4) SPC

5) GSR front swaybar and Comptech rear swaybar/tie bar combo.

B1) Junkards, IAS, locally, etc.

B2) Why do you need huge brakes? A GSR set-up with a set of good Hawk, Cobalt, Carbo-Tech, etc pads and good fluid will be more than enough to lock up any kind of tire you can throw on there.

B3) Stock GSR or ITR works great, bigger rotors and better calipers when you start experience brake fade on the track.

W1) Who cares. Buy some 13x7.5" Lenso Tom Slicks and 235/45-13 racing tires.

E1) Get a $100 stainless muffler, new cat, and the longest resonator you can find.