Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

painting my rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting my rims

hey ive been thinking about painting my rims on my del sol (fat 5 spoke) can neone help me on the process of what to do? what paint do i use? what are the necessary steps? also my friend told me there was this thread awhile ago that listed all the steps to painting rims cus the guy had jus done it. neone kno where i can get this thread? thnx in advance
Old 10-27-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: painting my rims (VAsol)

Ive painted quite a couple sets its pretty easy, First thing you want to do is sand the wheel with a 400 wet or dry sand paper. Second wash and clean the wheel very well. Third dry the wheel its im paritive the whole wheel is completely dry even the tire you dont want and water to be able to come in contact with the paint. If it does the paint will run and not set to the wheel. Fourth take index cards and stick them between the tire and the rim this will keep you from painting your tire. Fith evenly spray a minumum of 3 coats to the wheel covering the whole rim , wait five to ten minutes between each coat. Sixth when you have finished painting the whole rim, let it dry to atleast finger touch. Seventh apply clear coat i useually 3 coats of that waiting 5 to ten mintutes between each coat. Now just the everything set and dry wait at least a full 24 hours before you mount the wheels.

The best Paint that i have found to use is Duplicolor . Duplicolor makes a paint and clear coat that is made for painting wheels. The paint is much easier to use its thicker drys faster and covers better. If you cant find that just use the regular duplicor car paint but make sure you use the same brand clear for some reason it does make a difference . you can find the duplicolor at any auto zone or advanced auto. Also the Duplicor wheel paint only comes in three colors siver, white , and a gunmetal color. If you have any other questions just let me know, hope this helps