Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Painting interior vinyl.. yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting interior vinyl.. yes or no?

Hey guys, im from Australia and down here all our interiors are grey.. i wanna put an integra dash (black) into an EG Hatch, but the door trims would be grey. IMO that would be ugly, grey and black mixing together, no thanks. Also, i wouldnt mind the black JDM EG6 door trims (black), but good luck to me finding them! that would be expensive as all hell also, but if i did end up finding the EG6 door trims suitable for my car id prob buy them.

so i wanna know, is painting the door trim vinyl black to match up the integra dash a good idea? are the results any good. Have you guys painted your interior vinyl before, if so do u have any pics u could share?

Also, one other thing. ATM i own a sedan, im wondering if there is any grey vinyl or anything in the back of a hatch that would be out of place with a black dash/door trims also.

Thanks heaps in advance.
Paul.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting interior vinyl.. yes or no? (Paul1985)

I'm glad to read that you want to just paint it black to match.

There is a spray paint formulated for painting vinyl, I have never used it so I can't say how well it works, but it would the most logical choice. Good luck
Old 09-01-2005, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting interior vinyl.. yes or no? (Buzzbomb)

Well in my personal experience with friends trying to paint there interior, it has never worked. No matter what paint they use or prep, over time it always would bubble and chip. They may have good products out now, I think maybe dupli-color makes some kind of paint .
Old 09-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Painting interior vinyl.. yes or no? (LShatchie)

pretty sure there is some kind of dye you can use. my steering wheel has a spot on it that is black, looks like someone was testing vinyl dye out on it, however it has a sticky feeling to it.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Painting interior vinyl.. yes or no? (LShatchie)

Before you paint you would want to use a product Called Bulldog Paint Adhesion Promoter(spelled wrong i know) yo could find it at your local auto supply store, or at a automotive paint supply store.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:36 AM

like JDMspongebob said, use the bulldog paint adhesion promoter(which he actually did spell correctly), some nice gray primer, and duplicolor vinyl paint.

the dyes work as well, but thats a little bit more work.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (C2daIzZle)

thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it..

so from the responses u guys think that dying (maybe painting) would look match the door trims to a black integra dash? u think its a good idea?

im worried that there will be too much other grey interior bits n pieces im unable to colour code..

so what does everyone think my best option is?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its better than painting them yellow or red, etc. That's what I thought this post would be about. Try looking through the cosmetic thread, or starting a thread in there. You might get more/better responses.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SuperSteve737)

paint it black
other color=dont do it
Old 09-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HATCHingMN)

i wouldnt paint it any other color but black, the only reason i ask is because i want my car (EG with grey dash/door trims etc) to match with a black integra dash

i might try the cosmetics section, thanks for the tip
Old 09-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i almost gurantee that over time its going to come off in some way. you might be satisfied at first. but down the road it will bite you in the ***
Old 09-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most auto stores have a vynal dye. This is not a paint, rather it is a dye that saturates into the vynal. One it dries it looks great and does not bubble.
I did an entire hatch with the black stuff and it worked great. Only downside was the coverage wasn't to great and I needed about 4-5 cans.

I believe it was made by duplicolor, but I am not 100%
Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vero)

thanks vero.. so once u had used 4-5 cans it looked like the car came out stock with black vinyl rather than grey?

i might give this one a go.. i dont mind using 4-5 cans as long as it turns out great :D
Old 09-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most auto stores have a vynal dye. This is not a paint, rather it is a dye that saturates into the vynal. One it dries it looks great and does not bubble.
I did an entire hatch with the black stuff and it worked great. Only downside was the coverage wasn't to great and I needed about 4-5 cans.

I believe it was made by duplicolor, but I am not 100%</TD></TR></TABLE>

pics?
Old 09-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sold the car a long time ago G2. I did do a friends car with Krylon Fusion and it came out absolutely horrible, the **** never dried and was always tacky.

To answer Pauls questions:
Yeah I used probably 4-5, check the coverage. I took the parts out, degreased and cleaned them and then did 3-4 light coats so the would absorbe.
This was on a 91 civic so the interior was already black, but with a gray ceiling. Some of the pieces were faded enough to not look black.

After it was done, I thought it looked very nice - obviously it didnt match the stock black 100% but with the whole interior done the same black, you couldnt tell.

4-5 cans may not seem to bad but with a $7 US price tag (about $14 AUS) It can be a bit of a pricey project.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:38 PM
ntm

i used the duplicolor vinyl spray on my doors and so far it is holding up very well. the only thing is that it is really shiny/ glossy. but using several light coats may keep that from happening
Old 09-04-2005, 09:42 PM
mike93eh

just rewrap everything in black vinyl. thats what i did to my door panels. looks oem.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i may have to do that myself, i hate gray dash and doors. black is awesome, as far as shiny goes, i like it shiny, except durring sunset when that **** is blinding me off my dash.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
To answer Pauls questions:
Yeah I used probably 4-5, check the coverage. I took the parts out, degreased and cleaned them and then did 3-4 light coats so the would absorbe.
This was on a 91 civic so the interior was already black, but with a gray ceiling. Some of the pieces were faded enough to not look black.

After it was done, I thought it looked very nice - obviously it didnt match the stock black 100% but with the whole interior done the same black, you couldnt tell.

4-5 cans may not seem to bad but with a $7 US price tag (about $14 AUS) It can be a bit of a pricey project.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont mind that cost.. i just want it immaculate.. lol im a bit of a perfectionist. What i will do is purchase an old trim from the wreckers and give it a practise shot.. the result will be my decision whether to do it or not. If the result is bad, ill have to find another option.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just rewrap everything in black vinyl. thats what i did to my door panels. looks oem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have pics of the process?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:04 AM

dont do it
Old 09-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest Follia Tec Interior Paint. It comes with a 3 stage paint process. I have painted several door panels in my day, and, if you follow the instrustions, you will get a smooth, even long lasting finish. HOWEVER! keep in mind, that the pait WILL chip eventuially, its just a matter of how long. I have seen some jobs break up after a week, and some last 5 years + One thing that will help the paint last longer, is to keep it out of direct sunlight. Tint your windows, and park in the shade if you can. And never try and paint something in 1 thick coat, it always leads to runs. Take your time, butild up in 'mist' coats, and follow all directions and ensure that everything is VERY CLEAN!!
Old 09-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So far the options to match my grey EG interior (door trim vinyl) to a black integra dash are...

1. Find rare black JDM door panels.
2. Put new black vinyl on the door trims.
3. Paint the grey door trims black.
4. Dye the grey door trims black.

id like to make this a poll.. i gotta work out how and whether i can.. id love to see the results
Old 09-06-2005, 07:19 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (Paul1985)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paul1985 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So far the options to match my grey EG interior (door trim vinyl) to a black integra dash are...

1. Find rare black JDM door panels.
2. Put new black vinyl on the door trims.
3. Paint the grey door trims black.
4. Dye the grey door trims black.

id like to make this a poll.. i gotta work out how and whether i can.. id love to see the results</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I did to match my Teg dash;

Installed Dash
Found stock civic black door panels and retrofitted them to fit the teg dash
Removed all other interior panels and painted them with the vinyl paint that I found at a local auto parts store.

I'm gonna say it's been a little under a year and so far the paint has held up nicely.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (litterbox)

thanks for the reply litterbox, i might take your advice because your interior looks so damn good. The only prob is i cant find any stock civic door panels in black unless i can somehow import some JDM stuff, im lead to believe this would be hard to find

So was your EG interior originally grey?
Also, what integra dash's are best to fit, are there any differences between each year/model? (DC2 of couse, not DC5)

1 other thing, do u mind either posting some pics of your interior or PM/sending some to me? if u dont want to thats fine. (thats if u have any apart from on your FAQ)

Quick Reply: Painting interior vinyl.. yes or no?