Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Paint removal off rim? Spilled a little on it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint removal off rim? Spilled a little on it.

I just had my car painted and I noticed a little bit of black paint ( not much but noticable) on my 17" aftermarket Tenzo R rims. Anyway I can remove it without hurting the coating on my rims
Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Paint removal off rim? Spilled a little on it.

if the rims arent painted themselves, you should be able to

but if they are painted, try scraping them lightly with a razer, not to much to scratch the surface, but hard enough to get under the black paint. GL
Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try your fingernail first.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Linked
if the rims arent painted themselves, you should be able to

but if they are painted, try scraping them lightly with a razer, not to much to scratch the surface, but hard enough to get under the black paint. GL
do not do this! kids dumb.. they sell stuff at the any auto store that take off anything that isnt the origional paint then just buff it or hit it wwith a coat of wax(if they are clear coated) otherwise they make plastic razor blades that look just like normal ones but are plastic DUH.. usually red... they should work
Old 08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take it back to painter and slap him with your wheel
Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattyv
do not do this! kids dumb.. they sell stuff at the any auto store that take off anything that isnt the origional paint then just buff it or hit it wwith a coat of wax(if they are clear coated) otherwise they make plastic razor blades that look just like normal ones but are plastic DUH.. usually red... they should work
i've never heard of anything like that?

are you sure it works on wheels? it might work on body paint that has a clear coat on it so it wont touch the orig paint but some wheel paints arent clear coated

and my razer idea was pretty good lol, of course your fingernail or plastic scraper should be a first but if those are a no-go, a sharp razer can "grip" the black paint and pop it off, in a figurative sort of way
Old 08-12-2009, 01:07 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

DO NOT USE A RAZOR ON ANY PAINT! I've seen what it can do to paint. It's not pretty.

Sure, you might get lucky and slide the razor right between the overspray / drip and the finish on the wheel. But more than likely that won't happen and you'll end up with a damaged wheel finish because of your own actions.

Wheel finishes are often easier to damage than the paint on the body of the car.

I'm not sure what corrosive agent mattyv is talking about, but I would be a bit wary of it too because of the sensitivity of the wheel finish.

He's spot on about putting wax or sealant over the wheel after you finish getting rid of the damage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't promise this is the correct thing to do, but this is what I would do.

Get a clay bar (available at many parts stores) for overspray. The Clay Magic one (from Autozone) seems to work well on overspray, but you might have difficulty removing a larger drip. Body supply shops and detail supply shops should also have helpful products and employees.

Wash the wheel off well.

Take the clay bar and roll it around in your hands, kneeding it until it's easy to work with. DO NOT drop it!. Tear the claybar in two (or more) and put all but one piece in a plastic baggy. This will leave you with more to wok with in case you drop the bar (which makes it trash).

Take the piece you plan to use and roughly flatten it into your hand. It should be comfortable to hold by your fingertips.

Wet the wheel with a detail spray (or "clay bar lubricant" included with the clay bar).

Take the clay bar and rub it back and forth over the wheel finish. I stick to straight lines in case I pick up a rock (straight scratch can be seen from two angles instead of all like a round scratch).

The overspray or small dips should come off of the wheel and onto the clay bar. Kneed the bar back into itself to keep the surface you're working with from getting too dirty (which can scratch your finish).

When you're finished, wash the wheel off and rinse it.

Hopefully this removed the overspray or small drips.

If "overspray or drips" doesn't describe your situation, please post a photo of the damage.

Oh, and you would have gotten better information in the Paint and Detail section(s) than in here, which is just general '92-'00 Civic tech.