Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Paint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Questions

Heres my question, first off I知 repainting my entire car from frost white to either the Si Blue or the Camelian effect Si Blue to Black. I wanted to get some opinions on which way to go paint wise.

My other question is when I paint my car I think I知 going to strip the car down to metal as much as possible with the exception of the engine bay for now, (Doing yet anther tranny swap [I keep ******* those things up]) and will take the motor completely out and paint it then. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me on painting of the whole car, I.e. things to do, not to do etc. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Paint Questions (nocternaldragon)

plain si blue
Old 04-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint Questions (vtec y0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec y0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plain si blue</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-15-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Paint Questions (butters)

plain blue!.....But Cosmetic/Appearance Is there For a Reason....
Old 04-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint Questions (jethawk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jethawk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My other question is when I paint my car I think I知 going to strip the car down to metal as much as possible with the exception of the engine bay for now, (Doing yet anther tranny swap [I keep ******* those things up]) and will take the motor completely out and paint it then. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me on painting of the whole car, I.e. things to do, not to do etc. Any help would be appreciated!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you need to strip the whole car down to the metal? It is not necessary. You are just making more work for yourself by doing that unless you got a good reason to do it.(which i don't think there is) Get a good painter if you want it to look nice. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint Questions (vtec y0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec y0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plain si blue</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-15-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Paint Questions (jethawk)

There is some tech in here altho i will admit not much.

The reason i want to strip it down is to make it easier to paint and if the paint overlaps the seals carpet trim ect. it will be harder to notice it was ever painted. I just want it to look nice when its done.

Ill be doing most if not all of the prep work for the body show and theyll be painting it for me. The work they do is decent, not the absolute best but good work none the less, besides i cant beat the price (Free) so...............
Old 04-15-2005, 08:42 PM

simple blue
Old 04-15-2005, 11:57 PM

dont strip the paint down to metal,its way too much work & $ on materials. and if u r going 2 do all the body work yourself i hope u know what u r doing cuz it aint ez. its all about how good your body work is,not the paint job.trust me,im a painter (custom works)
Old 04-16-2005, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ALL VTEC)

not the jack the post...but is it easier to just sand off the clear coat or is it easier to sand the color off, but not the primer(almost to the metal)? Which is the better way to getting good results on a paint job?

By the way...si blue
Old 04-16-2005, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (methos713)

you guys are crazy. there is no reason to strip the paint to the metal. It is pointless. Just sand it down and paint the thing. But even if you're still not gonna listen, good luck fixing/finding dents after you stripped it down if you have any.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems it isn't a good idea to strip to metal BTW, definately si blue, which is the same color I'm painting my civic this summer
Old 04-16-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: (methos713)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by methos713 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not the jack the post...but is it easier to just sand off the clear coat or is it easier to sand the color off, but not the primer(almost to the metal)? Which is the better way to getting good results on a paint job?

By the way...si blue </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey dont steal my post! lol just kidding

---------------

Ok, for clarification I am not going down to bare metal, what i mean is i want to paint the entire car and not just up to the seals ect. Ive worked on enough cars and seen hints of the previous paint there and looks bad, so what i want to do is remove stuff like the carpet for the trunk, the window seals ect and paint under them and then reinstall them, there simple enough ive done them all b4 so if you look closely you wouldent notice it was painted unless you took something off like the center console or something like.

I am in no way sanding everything down to the bare metal that would be a waste of time. (except for spots on the rear quarters that have hints of rust - those are getting repaired and what not but thats the only exception to fix some cosemetic body damage)

And im not painting it myself Im doing it at my uncle's shop and he's doing it for me. Im just going to do most of the prep work like striping it down, taping areas off, misc stuff i can do, hell be doing all the body and paint work.

Im not a body guy, electrical im a pro, mechanical im pretty good, body repair dont look at me...........
Old 04-17-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Paint Questions (nocternaldragon)

bump for the day,