Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

PA Emissions Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA Emissions Help

I have a 93 del sol that I have a header and intake and a custom exhaust 2.5 the whole way I just got the inspection done and it passed without a problem but it didnt pass emissions I was told that at idle there were to many hydrocarbons. Here is the count the limit is 130 and I had 272 but at 2500 rpm i had only 68 they gave me a list of what could be causing this and I am wondering if anyone could help me narrow it down.

spark plugs/wires
other ignition
timing/spark advance
air/fuel mix adjustment
catalytic converter
vacuum leaks
pcv system
02 sensor
throttle position sensor
other sensors
computer
internal engine
fuel evaporation system
fuel injection
map sensor
mass air sensor

I have no clue what could be causing this since the 02 sensor was recently replaced the plugs are only a couple years old and the wires seem to be fine the car isnt missing or anything also the car is running great with no trouble signs. My dad thinks it could be a burnt valve (I really hope its nothing internal in the engine I dont have the money and cant be out of my car) but I dont think that is it because I figure there would be some signs telling me that was it. The place I took it said its probably something minor. I just dont know how to diagnose it. I would appreciate any help thanks.

Last edited by dhoff024; 04-09-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: need to add more information
Old 04-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PA Emissions Help

Originally Posted by dhoff024
I have a 93 del sol that I have a header and intake and a custom exhaust 2.5 the whole way I just got the inspection done and it passed without a problem but it didnt pass emissions I was told that at idle there were to many hydrocarbons. Here is the count the limit is 130 and I had 272 but at 2500 rpm i had only 68 they gave me a list of what could be causing this and I am wondering if anyone could help me narrow it down.

spark plugs/wires
other ignition
timing/spark advance
air/fuel mix adjustment
catalytic converter
vacuum leaks
pcv system
02 sensor
throttle position sensor
other sensors
computer
internal engine
fuel evaporation system
fuel injection
map sensor
mass air sensor

I have no clue what could be causing this since the 02 sensor was recently replaced the plugs are only a couple years old and the wires seem to be fine the car isnt missing or anything also the car is running great with no trouble signs. My dad thinks it could be a burnt valve (I really hope its nothing internal in the engine I dont have the money and cant be out of my car) but I dont think that is it because I figure there would be some signs telling me that was it. The place I took it said its probably something minor. I just dont know how to diagnose it. I would appreciate any help thanks.
Do you still have a cat on the car? I assume yes because your hydrocarbons would be through the roof. When is the last time you did a tune up on the car?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I do still have the cat on it I just figured it was better leaving it that way but the wires are about 4 or 5 years old and the plugs are a couple years old at the most but It has been a few years until I have really done a full tune up on it. Im hoping that its just something minor because I was told my hydrocarbons arent off enough to be something major but I figure I would try to get some advice and see if I could get some help from people that know alot more than I do so I can try to get it straightened out.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

register it in fayette county lol
Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I do still have the cat on it I just figured it was better leaving it that way but the wires are about 4 or 5 years old and the plugs are a couple years old at the most but It has been a few years until I have really done a full tune up on it. Im hoping that its just something minor because I was told my hydrocarbons arent off enough to be something major but I figure I would try to get some advice and see if I could get some help from people that know alot more than I do so I can try to get it straightened out.
Do a tune up, that should probably do it for ya.

Originally Posted by supersize
register it in fayette county lol
Yeah but who wants to have anything to do with fayette-nam?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol what do you mean by that? where u from?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help I put some fuel system cleaner in it and i bought some bosch platinum +4 plugs and im going to run some engine flush through it and change the oil and clean the air filter and change the wires and go from there also on the emissions test they ran the car as a 1.5L but it is actually a 1.6L I dont know if that would make a difference I just thought I would throw that out there maybe that could change something also but thanks for the help.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by supersize
lol what do you mean by that? where u from?
closer to greensburg, and we always make jokes about fayette being like a third world country haha

Thanks for the help I put some fuel system cleaner in it and i bought some bosch platinum +4 plugs and im going to run some engine flush through it and change the oil and clean the air filter and change the wires and go from there also on the emissions test they ran the car as a 1.5L but it is actually a 1.6L I dont know if that would make a difference I just thought I would throw that out there maybe that could change something also but thanks for the help.
return the bosch plugs. Run NGK in japanese cars, bosch plugs are only for trashcans and volkswagens.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

emissions only a visual for cars 95 and under in pa... i had a check engine light and still passed...
Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by miguel329
emissions only a visual for cars 95 and under in pa... i had a check engine light and still passed...
It depends on where you live, different counties have different regulations. In no county will an OBD1 vehicle fail automatically with a check engine light however.

Fayette is one exempt county, where i live is a tailpipe test, Filthadelphia is one area with dynamometer testing IIRC, and other places are visual.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by forcefedferio
closer to greensburg, and we always make jokes about fayette being like a third world country haha
oh, so were pretty close lol, i goto school in greensburgh at wccc.. but yeah, im right on the border, actually, the boarder runs right thru our house, so cheaper taxes in westmoreland, cars registered in fayette! lol