Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

p28 ecu question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p28 ecu question.

Does anybody know if a p28 ecu can run a non vtec d15b7? I am having problems where I cant start the engine. My d16z6 gave out and I found this non vtec longblock for the meantime. I am also running the vtec wire harness so the vtec solenoid and oil pressure sockets are not being used.

thanx in advance for any help. I dont want to go and buy another ecu if I dont have to.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: p28 ecu question.

hmmm, no nobody?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why a P28 couldn't run a non-vtec engine...I think the appropriate ecu is a P06 though, which are commonly very cheap. The fuel maps shouldn't be too far apart either.

The only difference that I had to do to convert my P06 to vtec was add certain components and chip for vtec fuel maps (which adds different look up tables for the changed cam profiles.

Hope that helps
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes you can run the p28 as long as you chip the ecu with a p06 map. Why? The p28 is a vtec ecu, which looks for the vtec spool valve and vtec oil pressure switch. Without those two components, the engine check light will come on. The d15b7 lacks before of those.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jayWknight
Yes you can run the p28 as long as you chip the ecu with a p06 map. Why? The p28 is a vtec ecu, which looks for the vtec spool valve and vtec oil pressure switch. Without those two components, the engine check light will come on. The d15b7 lacks before of those.
i pulled some codes and it was looking for the vtec spool valve and oil pressure switch but it also said fuel injectors as well. i thought for some reason since the p28 ran these switches and didnt detect them it just cut off the injectors.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The injectors should run just fine, its just that the fuel and ignition maps won't be right, vtec wouldn't engage (the ecu would think vtec exists, but isn't functioning appropriately, so instead it would run the low end fuel maps under wide open throttle, instead of running the alternative high end fuel maps). Tripping CEL codes in the process of course

The injectors would not be cut if it thinks vtec is not functioning, instead it would trip CEL codes and act funny, (or something like that).

You can prove this by unplugging the various connectors affiliated with vtec (in a vtec vehicle) and see that the car still runs.

as ayWknight was suggesting, you can bypass all ecu issues by reprogramming the ecu with the P06 binary file. This should include the settings necessary to disengage vtec circuitry.

See http://wikitest.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/...ibrary/WebHome
Old 10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Simkin314
The injectors should run just fine, its just that the fuel and ignition maps won't be right, vtec wouldn't engage (the ecu would think vtec exists, but isn't functioning appropriately, so instead it would run the low end fuel maps under wide open throttle, instead of running the alternative high end fuel maps). Tripping CEL codes in the process of course

The injectors would not be cut if it thinks vtec is not functioning, instead it would trip CEL codes and act funny, (or something like that).

You can prove this by unplugging the various connectors affiliated with vtec (in a vtec vehicle) and see that the car still runs.

as ayWknight was suggesting, you can bypass all ecu issues by reprogramming the ecu with the P06 binary file. This should include the settings necessary to disengage vtec
circuitry.

thanx for clearing that up. I probably have a bad ground some where.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Simkin314

as ayWknight was suggesting, you can bypass all ecu issues by reprogramming the ecu with the P06 binary file. This should include the settings necessary to disengage vtec
circuitry.

thanx for clearing that up. I probably have a bad ground some where.