Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

P28 automatic ECU conversion to manual P28 ECU

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default P28 automatic ECU conversion to manual P28 ECU

So hunting at the junk yard, I came across a 95 EX with a Y8 engine. Looked intact still and pretty clean. I checked for the ECU and BAM, it was available. P28, ready for the taking. This was a super rare find for me and for 25 bucks, I WAS NOT gonna pass. I finally got around to testing it today so I plug it up to my EG and I expected a VTEC error and O2 error. Those I got, along with a code 19.. Sigh.. Although the donor car was a 5speed, this was not the ECU it came with. I looked around and found the easiest fix for this, but very few had good pics, none at all, or the images were no longer available. I decided to give a fresh thread to bring life to a lost piece of technical gold.
This isn't a full on how-to, but a good shot of the location you need to modify. When you pull the cover off your ECU, looking from the top with the plug end to the left, there is a row of resistors on the lower right corner to the left of the baro sensor underneath the marked spot "27256" or your chip (if you have one). You're looking for R17 and R18 resistors. Counting from the first resistor to the left, they will be #5 and 6 in the row.
I suggest desoldering them since you will need to jump R18.
Anyhow, resolver and remove the R17 and R18 resistors. R18 will need a 0 ohm resistor, or you can use a small paperclip or tiny piece of copper wire I believe 24g will fit fine. Solder your jumper into that spot and done; no more error code 19.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: P28 automatic ECU conversion to manual P28 ECU

10 sec's of googling found the results.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
10 sec's of googling found the results.

Good.. Now here's another one to add to those results
I never said I didn't find results. I said I found old **** with no pics. People like YOU are the reason **** like this dies out. Somebody will ask a question, maybe it has been asked 100 times; they bring out old threads with dead links, dead pics, flame clutter, etc. 9 times out of 10, there's a response JUST LIKE YOURS that ends up killing the thread.. I said it was a fresh thread with a good reference pic, didn't I? Just sayin'...
Old 04-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I never said I didn't find results. I said I found old **** with no pics. People like YOU are the reason **** like this dies out. Somebody will ask a question, maybe it has been asked 100 times; they bring out old threads with dead links, dead pics, flame clutter, etc. 9 times out of 10, there's a response JUST LIKE YOURS that ends up killing the thread.. I said it was a fresh thread with a good reference pic, didn't I? Just sayin'...
Instead of getting bent all out of shape because your results were different, you could try asking what search terms were used to see where they got different results.

My search results netted me this Honda-Tech link as the very first result.

It has pics:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...anual-2969571/

My search terms were not even site specific:
obd1 honda ecu auto to manual

What kills things is harsh attitudes either presented to you or in return from you or both.

I hope you find the link I provided helpful.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Instead of getting bent all out of shape because your results were different, you could try asking what search terms were used to see where they got different results.

My search results netted me this Honda-Tech link as the very first result.

It has pics:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...anual-2969571/

My search terms were not even site specific:
obd1 honda ecu auto to manual

What kills things is harsh attitudes either presented to you or in return from you or both.

I hope you find the link I provided helpful.
I haven't gotten bent out of shape... Yet... lol

Through what I am doing with the B7, it's frustrating to see all the same ****. Threads go down in flames because somebody decided to take a huge steaming **** on it. I have said before I've found more info with dead links, missing pics, and information that needs to take a serious turn into the now; companies/websites no longer operational, parts no longer available, etc. That's why I started the build thread I did. I see more recent questions in regards to things that either nobody wants to help with, has no knowledge of, or folks just plain **** on.
This particular post has very little to do with my build, but it was put up for the reason I mentioned. My search (convert auto p28 ecu to manual) netted crap like:

This one has some info but no pics
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...al-ecu-708770/

This link found here is dead
http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=963

Best one available would be this one, but you're likely to suffer a headache from the blurry *** pics..
kn00b DIY auto to manual ECU conversion - D-series.org

Again, I never said it wasn't available at all. Heck, I think I even came across a video.. Anywho.. It was an attempt to add some freshening up to an old topic.

Edit.. These were also some of the top search results.. Very sad indeed..

Last edited by Txdragon; 04-03-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: missed info
Old 04-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Oh, I gotchya.

I thought you were trying to find a solid DIY with pics to reference. Of which I believe I provided.

I apologize I didn't understand your motivation in the thread and posts.

Cheers.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

There's even a video on youtube....

Last edited by TomCat39; 04-03-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: hostility removal
Old 04-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
100x agree. Sure, you can find old DIY posts on a lot of info from 2007 or something, but 70% of the time the pictures have died and the actual content is completely missing. That, and posts (even like this one) just immediately dissolve into cheeky comments and flaming.

Thanks Dragon for posting a helpful, straightforward thread that could help others in the future.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
100x agree. Sure, you can find old DIY posts on a lot of info from 2007 or something, but 70% of the time the pictures have died and the actual content is completely missing. That, and posts (even like this one) just immediately dissolve into cheeky comments and flaming.

Thanks Dragon for posting a helpful, straightforward thread that could help others in the future.
I'm glad to be of some assistance where I can. It may not be new, but at least it's up to date