Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

P1456 code?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1456 code?

My engine light just came on and I scanned it, comes up with a "p1456 undocumented code, OK to drive" any idea as to what this is?

1997 Civic Ex 2dr 5spd d16y8
Old 03-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loose Fuel Cap Can Cause "Check Engine" Light

To prevent the MIL from coming on and storing DTC P1456 (Code 90), the fuel fill cap must be tight. The on-board diagnostic (OBD II) system on affected vehicles is sensitive to anything that might be considered a leak, including a loose cap. This may be more likely to occur to some customers who tighten the cap after refueling, and when hearing it click, back it off (thinking that it's too tight).

Remember to tighten the cap until it clicks at least three times. It's impossible to over-tighten the cap because it ratchets when it's tight.

On most '98 vehicles, a tightening precaution is printed right on the cap.

or:
from http://www.alldata.com/techtip....html

Jim Grant's Tech Tips

Honda Civic, Check Engine Code # 1456

Q: I retrieved code 1456 after the check engine light came on my Honda Civic. What part needs to be replaced to fix this problem?

A: I can't tell you specifically what part, but I can tell you what parts to check. Honda lists the following as possible causes for a DTC #P1456. Here we go. Fuel filler cap, vacuum connection, fuel tank, fuel tank pressure sensor, evaporative bypass solenoid, evaporative two way valve, evaporative control canister vent shut valve, evaporative control canister and evaporative purge control solenoid. You have to understand that computer codes rarely define the exact component that has failed. All the computer code tells you is that a system that could have one component or many is not operating within the acceptable parameters of the computer's program. Code P1456 means that your vehicle is failing to contain/hold the gas vapors in the gas tank. Retrieving the code in your case was the easy part. If you're lucky it will be simply a replacement gas cap. If it is more than that, you'll need to have the problem diagnosed. Because of the complexity of the system, it may take a couple of hours and some specialized equipment to diagnose the cause. You'll want to be sure the right part is being replaced because some of the components listed are pricey and you don't want to be replacing them on a guess. It would be great if the computer could make a little red flag pop up from the defective component. But then I would have less gray hair and be out a job if that were the case.

The following users liked this post: