Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating and wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating and wiring issues

i recently bought a del sol, drove it about 20 miles and smoke was coming out from under the hood. opened it up and the hose from the radiator to the over flow tank was not connected(mechanic forgot to put clamp on). i mainly just wanted this car for the body as i plan on upgrading everything. but anyways. coolant was sprayed all over EVERYTHING. I filled it back up with pre-mixed coolant and drove about 20 miles more. car didnt overheat but i could hear something boiling under the hood. the overflow tank was boiling and was trying to blow its top....literally. the wierd thing is that the hose was still connected, the overflow tank was full but the radiator was dry! i have no idea how that could happen(and no i didnt fill up overflow tank....just incase you thought i was a complete idiot). it hasnt overheated in a while though and there seems to be no leaking. any info about why it would fill up overflow and not radiator would be appreciated. ALSO, now my cd player doesnt work and the clock under the little del sol picture doesnt work either. I was looking at fuses and couldnt even tell which one to look at and im pretty sure the wires from the cd player got wet also. would i probably just need to rewire the whole thing? it was just a standard cd player hooked up normal
Old 10-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Overheating and wiring issues (Spectre2004)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spectre2004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the wierd thing is that the hose was still connected, the overflow tank was full but the radiator was dry! i have no idea how that could happen(and no i didnt fill up overflow tank....just incase you thought i was a complete idiot). it hasnt overheated in a while though and there seems to be no leaking. any info about why it would fill up overflow and not radiator would be appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this happened because you didn't top off the coolant. let the car cool, open the radiator cap, turn on the car, add coolant until full.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spectre2004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. ALSO, now my cd player doesnt work and the clock under the little del sol picture doesnt work either. I was looking at fuses and couldnt even tell which one to look at and im pretty sure the wires from the cd player got wet also. would i probably just need to rewire the whole thing? it was just a standard cd player hooked up normal</TD></TR></TABLE>

replace the 7.5 fuse under the hood. if it blows again, chances are you have a short which need to found.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Overheating and wiring issues (philosofy1)

damn, you're good. thanks a lot man. that fixed/explained everything.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Overheating and wiring issues (Spectre2004)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spectre2004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn, you're good. thanks a lot man. that fixed/explained everything. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not a problem!