Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating problem, over flow empty

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problem, over flow empty

Occasionally my hatch over heats, and I check and the over flow is really low near empty, now assuming I don't have a leak is there anything else it could be? It has a new water pump, thermostat, radiator and hoses.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problem, over flow empty

Also, I forgot to mention it seems as if the car runs hot in general, not over heating by high usually, and I've changed all that stuff above, plus fan switch and temperature sender for the gauge, and even "normally" it still seems to be slightly elevated, so when I say over heat, I mean it goes all the way to H, in the red. Any help with either of these problems is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.. maybe a headgasket?
Old 05-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is their any smoke from the exhaust? how old is the motor? like internal wise, how many miles is on the motor it self?
Old 05-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b20hatchek
is their any smoke from the exhaust? how old is the motor? like internal wise, how many miles is on the motor it self?
No smoke, all stock 95 d15b7, 152XXX miles
Old 05-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try a new radiator cap? The cap keeps the cooling system pressurized so the water/anti-freeze won't boil and evaporate, if it's bad or going bad it could cause overheating.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95_Civic_4dr
Try a new radiator cap? The cap keeps the cooling system pressurized so the water/anti-freeze won't boil and evaporate, if it's bad or going bad it could cause overheating.
The new radiator came with a new cap, been on there for only about 3 months now
Old 05-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by s13hero
The new radiator came with a new cap, been on there for only about 3 months now
Oh yeah, that makes sense, new radiator should come with a cap lol - overlooked that.
Trying to avoid the head gasket possibility, the engine could be running lean maybe.

Before my HG went out, I noticed that the overflow tank was empty pretty much all the time no matter how many times I filled the radiator back up and bled the cooling system. You ever get real bad vibrations at start up for a few seconds? It also occasionally overheated up to the H.

...now assuming I don't have a leak is there anything else it could be?...
You should assume there is a leak and start looking for one even if it's a slow leak.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got it! check your hoses dude, i just found a hose on my b20 leaking as i was replacing my slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder, but back when i was in school i was always putting coolant back in the radiator untill i found a hose in the back leaking
Old 05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95_Civic_4dr
Oh yeah, that makes sense, new radiator should come with a cap lol - overlooked that.
Trying to avoid the head gasket possibility, the engine could be running lean maybe.

Before my HG went out, I noticed that the overflow tank was empty pretty much all the time no matter how many times I filled the radiator back up and bled the cooling system. You ever get real bad vibrations at start up for a few seconds? It also occasionally overheated up to the H.

You should assume there is a leak and start looking for one even if it's a slow leak.
I said assuming its not one because I've checked for one and I can't find one anywhere, its a really slow leak if it is one it happens every few weeks.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you aren't leaking coolant outside anywhere, then there's only one other place it can go, inside the engine. Now more than likely your "burning" coolant because if you were leaking coolant into your oil, then you would also be getting oil in your coolant. Pull your oil fill cap and check for a milky/muddy goo in the valve cover. What color is your coolant? Is it a milky or brown color? If you have either/both of these then your leaking between coolant & oil passages. If not and, again, you don't have any external leaks, then your "burning" coolant. Not always when you burn coolant will it smoke, so don't use that as the only check.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at your oil and see if theres coolant in it. If there is i'm very sorry. Does it run hot only when you're at idle or when you're driving too? it might also be an oil pump
Old 05-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stevej1
Look at your oil and see if theres coolant in it. If there is i'm very sorry. Does it run hot only when you're at idle or when you're driving too? it might also be an oil pump
When it does get hot its at idle and while driving. I'm going to go check the oil now.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Coolant is green. Nothing in it, in both the over flow and what I can see of the radiator. Oil is fine at the dipstick and under the filler cap.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ran it today til it overheated, my fan is dead, so now I am trying to decide between getting a new fan motor from napa or buying an ebay slim fan, its an aluminum radiator. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What brand rad did you get? If its an Ebay one, I have heard many people say the caps on them are junk. I ran an Ebay slim fan on my old car and never had any problems from it.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by plethoric33
What brand rad did you get? If its an Ebay one, I have heard many people say the caps on them are junk. I ran an Ebay slim fan on my old car and never had any problems from it.
No brand, seems ok, the price was right, the caps don't look bad. its only been a few months so we'll see. What size slim fan did you have?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you cant visualy see a diff in rad caps if 1 is bad or not
Old 05-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b20hatchek
you cant visualy see a diff in rad caps if 1 is bad or not
Yeah I just re-read what he wrote and was thinking he meant tanks. I can always just get a new cap if this one fails
Old 05-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We are in the exact same boat brother. No leaks, Overflow Empty, No Smoke, Overheats at Idle. Replaced thermostat it ran shittier, Ran it without it and it was better just took longer to overheat. Fans come on also. My dipstick looks good and clean. I checked the underside of the cap however and I saw a slight milky residue as someone mentioned. Headgasket?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems like everyone has had the same problem. My car overheats at idle. I replaced everything. My cooling fan wasnt kicking on and I realized that the wiring was grounded out so I fixed that and I even ran a switch through into the car so I could switch the fan on and off when I wanted. My oil looks fine and no white smoke too. is there a honda genius out there that knows what the hell this is? Headgasket? Cracked block?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so I was wrong, my fan is not dead, but it is not coming on. When I run the fan plug straight to the battery it runs. When I jump the fan switch the fan spun, so I assumed a bad fan switch and I changed it, but the car is still over heating and the fan isn't coming on. I used a test light but couldn't find power through the plug. Also IDK whether its related or not but my condenser fan doesn't come on either and runs when run out to the battery too. I check the two grounds on the passenger side of the bay (the box and the single one next to it) and they are both good.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the car is overheating due to a blown head gasket. as the engine consumes coolant, air is introduced. this explains the high temps, which is a result of the coolant not flowing properly. coolant not flowing and distributing heat is also likely why the fan switch is not being tripped.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
the car is overheating due to a blown head gasket. as the engine consumes coolant, air is introduced. this explains the high temps, which is a result of the coolant not flowing properly. coolant not flowing and distributing heat is also likely why the fan switch is not being tripped.
But there is no sign on a blown headgasket, atleast what has been mentioned here. Oil is fine and coolant is fine.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But there is no sign on a blown headgasket, atleast what has been mentioned here. Oil is fine and coolant is fine.
but there is a sign.. disappearing coolant

my old car was doing the same yours is. no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant. only symptom was the missing coolant. the engine was consuming coolant but not enough to even be noticeable coming out of the tailpipe.

Quick Reply: Overheating problem, over flow empty