Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating + No Heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating + No Heat

The car is a D16z6 with a CAI
Ok well my car has a million things wrong with it, but what I am most concerned about the overheating. I already replaced the thermostat and that did not help, the coolent level is fine, and as far as im concered there arent any leaks. What could cause the car to overheat so easily? And now all the sudden my HEAT stopped working??? This is besides the fact that as of late the damn thing has been sputtering when given alittle gas, and it has an irractic idle.
Any help is much appreciated.......
Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Overheating + No Heat (lawlerlaw)

It could be a clogged heater core... The radiator could have a partial clog as well... Your waterpump could be failing on you, or you could have a partial blown head gasket (worse case scenario)...

The only thing I can think of that would affect your poor engine performance and overheat is a partial blown head gasket... Check your coolant for exhaust gas bubbles by running the engine with the radiator cap open... Rev it a few times and see if it pushes any coolant out... That would be a good indicator of poor seal on your head gasket... You can also check for fouled plugs, coolant in the oil or coolant in the combustion chamber... A temporary fix would be to try driving around without a thermostat and see if it still overheats...

As for your lack of heat, it's probably a clogged heater core... You can try doing cooling system flush to see if you can break up the clog... If not, chances are you might have to replace the heater core...
Old 01-09-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Overheating + No Heat (Dagul)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dagul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could be a clogged heater core... The radiator could have a partial clog as well... Your waterpump could be failing on you, or you could have a partial blown head gasket (worse case scenario)...

The only thing I can think of that would affect your poor engine performance and overheat is a partial blown head gasket... Check your coolant for exhaust gas bubbles by running the engine with the radiator cap open... Rev it a few times and see if it pushes any coolant out... That would be a good indicator of poor seal on your head gasket... You can also check for fouled plugs, coolant in the oil or coolant in the combustion chamber... A temporary fix would be to try driving around without a thermostat and see if it still overheats...

As for your lack of heat, it's probably a clogged heater core... You can try doing cooling system flush to see if you can break up the clog... If not, chances are you might have to replace the heater core...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks alot for your suggestions, I will try your ideas out tomorrow and see if I can figure out these problems.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Overheating + No Heat (lawlerlaw)

have you pressure checked it yet??? not all the time will you have a blown HG if your car pushes ANY coolant out when you rev it w/ the cap off..... i'd pressure check it ,check the fans and the thermostat first
Old 01-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Overheating + No Heat (Throwdown)

One thing I forgot to ask, does your coolant overflow tank get full or overflow as well? It could be as simple as a bad radiator cap...
Old 01-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Overheating + No Heat (Dagul)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dagul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> It could be as simple as a bad radiator cap... </TD></TR></TABLE> can be the case the rubber seal will go bad