Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Over Seas importing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:20 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Seas importing

I have a RHD 97 Hatch and I would like to get it back to the states....anyone know the best way to do that?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Over Seas importing

If you are in the military, you shouldn't have to much of an issue getting it here. However it will never get a customs stamp, which you need if you want to try to drive it in the states.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:56 AM
New User

I am in the miltary, any way to get a customs stamp, or are there any companies that anyone knows of stateside that can do the modifications to get a customs stamp?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

your gona have to send it to canada then bring it thru the states
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 AM
New User

Just for ***** and giggles, what does bringing it through canada have to do with anything....open for all suggestions but just wondering.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stacy.brookshir
Just for ***** and giggles, what does bringing it through canada have to do with anything....open for all suggestions but just wondering.
Cars are supposed to be easier to bring into Canada and then bring from Canada to the US.

I know there's a big thread about how to import cars from Japan to here, which might help you though I'm not sure where the car you're talking about is from (RHD '97 Civics were sold in many markets). I can't remember if this thread was on this site or another one though.

This might help though.

http://204.68.195.151/cars/RULES/IMPORT/
Old 01-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Generally a car must be 15 years old to import into Canada.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out the DOT website. There is a section that details how to import cars and which cars can be imported.

Sorry, I used to have it bookmarked but can't find it.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Is there something special or awesome about your 97 Honda? There is a LOT of red tape to jump through, more than your average Joe would probably want to deal with. Red tape means it's going to cost you quite a bit of money.

Normally, you would not be able to import that vehicle into Canada, either, because as 94EG8 stated, it needs to be at least 15 years old. In the US, the rule is 25 years old. It appears, though, that some people have managed to get around this.

I presume you're currently posted in Japan? To really be the envy of all your friends, you should find yourself and import an RHD classic Honda (S600 etc.) ... little red tape and wayyy cooler than a Civic.

Last edited by deschlong; 01-08-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: bad pic link
Old 01-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Is there something special or awesome about your 97 Honda? There is a LOT of red tape to jump through, more than your average Joe would probably want to deal with. Red tape means it's going to cost you quite a bit of money.

Normally, you would not be able to import that vehicle into Canada, either, because as 94EG8 stated, it needs to be at least 15 years old. In the US, the rule is 25 years old. It appears, though, that some people have managed to get around this.

I presume you're currently posted in Japan? To really be the envy of all your friends, you should find yourself and import an RHD classic Honda (S600 etc.) ... little red tape and wayyy cooler than a Civic:
im pretty sure hes asking how to import his 97 civic into the US not what car to buy -smh- and this can obviously be done ive seen plenty of type r integras and civics stateside that arent nearly 15 years old, just do some research and im sure youll find a way to do it that wont cost you an arm and a leg
Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have looked into doing this and found this:
http://www.epoi.com/index.html
I have found on ebay/japan there are a ton of very nice RHD's
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM
New User

DeSchlong, thanks for the information and the advice, but if i wanted advice on buying a car i would go talk to a used car dealer. I am trying to get my hatch back to the states because i have paid for it. Its mine and i want to keep it. And im in Germany.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Hah, point taken. The idea, though, was to suggest importing a vehicle that's 25+ years old, not 13, so that you fall under the 'classic car' rule. If this is not an option, then it's more or less a dead end for you. Sure, you could spend gobs of time researching how to skirt the rules and take your chances (nutshell: imported as a "race/track only vehicle"), but you run the risk of losing the whole thing to the gov't (the ones you've sworn to protect) and on top of that, paying for its removal and destruction.

The shipping cost alone will likely rival the cost of a 97 Civic Stateside, so really you're better off avoiding the headaches and hassle, AND you won't have lost money on the deal. (I do understand the "I like it and it's mine and I want to keep it" feeling, though, and that's probably your heart overruling your head -- not necessarily a bad thing.)
Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if you do find a way to get it here in the sates likely you will never get insurance to cover it. my buddy got a 91 CRX sir rhd and insurance companies wont insure it UNLESS he makes it LHD. pretty shitty.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Even if you do find a way to get it here in the sates likely you will never get insurance to cover it. my buddy got a 91 CRX sir rhd and insurance companies wont insure it UNLESS he makes it LHD. pretty shitty.
you cant register a car w/out insurance and you sure as hell cant drive a car without either.. so how do you explain all the people driving rhd vehicles?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to be able to insure it... rhd postal vehicles everywhere
Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK here is the scope on the NHTS imporation regulations. You buy this car. It has a counterpart in the US and that counterpart has been crashtested. thats one impedence that keeps alot of cars out of the US becasue people dont want to buy serveral versions of the car to submit for crashtesting. Depending on what state you live in they will ask you to get it tested for emissions. There is a 2.7 percent terrif i belive on imported vehicles in the us Passenger cars that is. standard shipping is 1500 in a container. 2500 for a 2 car container. It also depends on Where in the US you are because again different states have different regulations. You will need to check with your Secretary of state to find out how you convert the JDM serial number to a US VIN number. Altho many people use canada as a scape goat because of the free trade agreement and the fact that canada does not require the cars to be crash tested. Any vehicls from canada can be imported to the US This is the reason so many people use canada as the middle man is because the the Secretary of state pays attention to the vin number they dont pay attention to where the car is actually originated from. the vin number is easyily converted in to the US . once you register the vin its easy to get plates and insurance on that vehicle. Its not impossible in the US but its a little harder and takes more time. Customs has to search the vehicle either case and make sure there are no drugs or illegal contraband in the vehicle.and if you live in a state where emissions are strict then you have to do a number of things and modifications to the car to make it legal some states enforce the fact that JDM or European cars dont have bumber side markerlights or side mounted positioning lights. Some dont care . i would check with your secretary of state for more details.
The 25 year law covers emmision immunity mainly. At 25 years old the vehicle becomes immune to the emmisons standards in the US however OBVIOUSLY there are people importing cars that are less than 25 years old such as skylines, civics, Nissan glorias, JDM vehicles are alot easyer to import than european vehicles.