Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

over-heating issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over-heating issues

i have a 95ex. i saw it last nite, and the temp needle rose to hot. i checked the reservoir and filled it with coolant. it went down, until i drove bout 20 miles and stopped at a light, all of a sudden it rose to hot again. wat could this be. im thinkin either the fan is not working, the radiator is busted or the thermostat maybe. if anyone has any idea, or i've left out any key points, please let me know. thank you
Old 09-14-2008, 06:36 PM

Default Re: over-heating issues (Boostn B20)

Well it seems if your losing coolant then you might have a leak somewhere, if there is not external leak visible you might want to put it under a pressure tester to make sure, but if it's internal, you can check your dip stick to check to see if it's milky like, that would mean that you have a blown head gasket
Old 09-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah. no leak. jus overheating?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey. i've narrowed this down to a couple of things. the fan, the thermostat, maybe water pump, but i doubt it, and the relay. i tested the fan by running wires from the battery to the fan it self, and the fan works. does anybody know where the cooling fan relay is located???? and wat else cud the problem be. i know for a fact that the fan is not kicking on when supposed too. but i know the fan works....please help.................
Old 09-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Default Re: (Boostn B20)

not to be a smart *** but since you narrowed it down why dont you check it??
Old 09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cause i dunno where the relay is located. i think theres two under the dash, and 3 in the under hood fuse compartment. but which one corresponds to the cooling fan??
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 PM

Default Re: (kenny24)

the fan is not kicking on when it is supposed to?

sounds like that's the problem.

---
Lots of VISUAL and PERFORMANCE parts!
http://www.andysautosport.com
Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 PM

check the fan switch. so the coolant is always full??
Old 09-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea. it's always full. i read an article that said if there is no power to the fan switch, "a bad cooling fan motor switch, an open between the cooling fan motor switch, cooling fan motor switch relay or the fuse, or a blown fuse." wat does an open mean. might be a dumb question, but i wanna be sure that i know what it is before i jump the gun....thank you guys for the help and support.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:05 AM

i had a simular problem like when the car would idle for a while it would over heat (couldnt idle at stop lights for too long). the problem was that the fan wouldnt come on so i changed the whole fan and it works normal now.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: over-heating issues (Boostn B20)

ya my fan wasnt't turning on on my old ciivic. u can make it so it turns on when u put ur key in, might be a blown head. idk thats what my problem was to
Old 09-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you check the clip itself? i mean, the clip that clips onto the sensor itself? jump that clip with a piece of wire and see if the fan switches on. you might just have a bad coolant fan switch issue here. i know i did and that was the cause of the fan not kicking on like usual. the coolant fan switch sensor is screwed into the thermo housing. just unclip that clip and jump the plug to see if the fan turns on. if not, then the sensor needs to be replaced. it doesn't cost much...prob around $20...gl...check that out and let us know
Old 09-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea. i jus got back from napa, installed the cooling fan switch and went for a test drive. all was good for about 15 mins, then i saw the needle rise up. i thought for sure it was the cooling fan switch, because i hit it with a tester, and as soon as the grounded tester hit the green wire, the fan kicks on. but still even with the new cooling fan switch, nothing. does anybody have an idea as to wat i might have to do next.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anybody think it might be a thermostat issue. just my theory, but if i jump it with the tester and the fan kicks on. shouldn't that rule out anything wrong with any external issues...ie. relays, fan, switch. maybe it's something internal, thermostat, .... just my opinion. im no expert on this, otherwise...well......
Old 09-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the fan to work today. i went out for a drive thinking that everything was fine. but to be safe i stayed around my block goin in circles. syop n go for about 15 min. then i saw the temp needle rise. i dunno wat else it cud be. something in me is saying head gasket. can anybody help me with this problem.i wanna be able to drive my car soon.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your head gasket is probably blown. if you ran your car too much while hot, it may have warped your head. get it checked out...
Old 09-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say replace the thermostat. Also, look on the thermostat housing there should be a ground wire there, I believe. Just make sure it's on good.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the fan relay is next to the right side radiator mount/bracket. There should be two relays(black) side by side attached to a bracket, which is bolted onto the upper radiator support(right side). I think the other relay is the AC compressor's.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not to beat a dead horse. but how would i know if my head gasket is blown. apart from assuming that it is, because my car is still over heating. would i experience any stuttering or hesitation from the engine itself. would this resemble a bad spark plug in any way. wat are key signs that a head gasket is blown?????
Old 09-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

usually if you take the rad cap off when the engine is cold and you crank the engine over coolant will shoot out of the rad if the headgasket is blown. Sometimes, not always the oil will be milky, you will see oil in the coolant, white smoke or a significant loss of power, again i said sometimes, i've seen honda's blow headgaskets and run fine, you'll just notice coolant disapearing.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea. that sounds curious. i know that my car does not smoke. for the few 15 min rides that i've had, no power loss. it doesn't just bog ouit on me. the one thing that makes me nervous is the coolant loos. but then again i did change the cooling fan switch, remove the upper hose, and remove the coolant reservoir. my bad if this sounds stoopid. but how much coolant loss are we talkin about. i crank it everyday, let it run til i see it hit the level where it's supposed to be at, then shut it down, just for testing purposes. i've been doing this for the last id say 4 days. last i checked i had little less than half a reservoir.if u need me to detail anything, please let me kno. thanks fir the support/
Old 09-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I really honestly never paid much attention to how much coolant i was loosing to be honest, the first engine i had wasn't too bad. Coolant lasted quite a while in it.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

check the thermostat... more than likely thats what is wrong, its probaly stuck... check out my sig for many parts, i have a therm i could give ya..
Old 09-21-2008, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man. ima do that today. i'll post later with results
Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i changed the thermostat today. not the problem. car still heating. i checked all my hoses, and i found this. before i went for a test drive both hoses were cold. obviously. when i came back, only the top hose was hot. i drove for about 5 min. but i let it warm up while i was checking that the thermostat had seated properly and there were no leaks. im going to get a jdm d15 swap in about 1 month. but im determined to find out what the problem is with this motor before i start witht the new one. i don't like to give up. im kinda thinking this is a radiator issue now. can anybody support this

Quick Reply: over-heating issues