Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Opinions wanted- ls/vtec or k20

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted- ls/vtec or k20

So I got's me a free b18b and ls tranny to throw in my 93 eg hatch, and I'm wondering which engine is right for me. I def. want vtec, and I'm willing to spend the money for a powerful engine that maintains it's reliability. Should I spend my time on reinforcing the bottom end of the b18 and put a b16 head on it, or should I jus say expletive it, sell the B and by a complete K20 swap. What I'm really looking for is an NA motor with lots of power that won't be prone to destruction. I understand the K is a lot more work, but a type r starts with 220 off the bat. What kind of power would I excpect from an ls/vtec anyway?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Opinions wanted- ls/vtec or k20 (eg6imola)

i'd be rich .....damn
Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6imola &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a powerful engine that maintains it's reliability. What I'm really looking for is an NA motor with lots of power that won't be prone to destruction. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You answered your own question.

K20.

You could also think smaller. one point is LS/VTEC, and your other point is a K20A-R. What happened to the middle ground?

B18C? H22A? K20A2?

Opinion questions are not very informative usually. You're just asking people's opinions regardless of what their views or priorities might be....or if they're a ricer, etc. etc.

Seek information before you make the decision. I dont like the LS/VTEC for reliability reasons. Plus, with a different engine with a VTEC head allready attatched, you can have a factory assembled motor.

OEM quality is usually better.

GET INFO, AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM

98 spec R. if you dont mind spending the money it bolts right in, and you have 200+hp out of the box, no need for custom mounts, exhaust etc. like you have to with a K swap. its like putting a h22 into your car, it sits too low, and throws off the balance of the car. just stick with something that was made for the car. keep the weight balance and save some money in the precess.

you can easily expect to spend upwards of $10K for a K swap while a spec r around 8K
Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Both of your choices suck. VTEC doesn't turn your Honda into a Ferrari. If you want VTEC so badly, then sell your b18b and get a b16a or b18c. K20s are too expensive and more trouble than they are worth to install. LS/VTECs are easier to install but many people suffer with reliability because they failed to build it properly.

My honest opinion would be to keep the b18b, and turbo it. The stock LS block can easily handle 250 whp, and if that isn't enough, sleeve the block and build it up and turn up the boost. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THE B16 AND B18 ARE GOOD BUT ALSO LOOK AT IT YOU SEE ALOT OF PPL GOING LS-V AND B20 V NOW B16 ARE NOW KNOWN AS IF THEY ARE SINGLE CAM VTEC IF YOU WANT SOMETHING NICE DO THE B18 PUT SOME AFTERMARKET RODS ALSO HAVE THE BOTTOM END BALANCED USE TYPE R PISTON OR B16 NEW BEARINGS IF YOU NEED MORE INFO HIT ME UP OR LOOK IN THE FAQ. HOW TO BUILD A RELIABLE LS-V OR B20-V
Old 12-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions wanted- ls/vtec or k20 (Throwdown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Throwdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd be rich .....damn </TD></TR></TABLE>
X2
Old 12-05-2007, 03:06 PM

if it was up to me i would go with the lsv with b16 trany n head. if u go with lsv your looking at about 170-180hp. since its going n your eg hatch the ls block should have anough low end torqe(thats if of course u go with the b18b block) n slapn in that b16 head will give u the high end torge from the v-tech. m going lsv aswell on my ef thats why i back up the lsv so much. plus b16 is preaty much the torqe less wonder its all high end torqe. b18c well run about 3 g's and you'll end up almost having the same hp as lsv except lsv is not as pricey as gsr.

ps. k20 is just 2 expinsive

Modified by project 98ek at 4:17 PM 12/5/2007
Old 12-05-2007, 03:13 PM

i would love to try out an ls/vtec but i don`t have time and money to lol but the main things i hear about ls/vtec is reliability sucks due to people not doing the work right and other is most cases their **** blows,and for a k20 man super expensive,as a poor cambodian kid living in the projects i`d say look in your local junkyards for a h22 out of a prelude for cheap cause they`re a common engine you could easily find with some time looking around and their a pretty good/strong/reliable engine and some what affordable,after that step it up and a NA Build,maby turbo or a supercharger,nos whatever floats your boat, just my opinion ahaha
Old 12-05-2007, 04:02 PM

k-series...

I cant truly speak from experience but my best freind has a 94 Del Sol... He has had the car for the past 3 years...His first swap was a JDM b16a from 99 si...Decent power coming out but missed a shift and blew it up...Then he went with a GSR and had skunk 2 cams put in and wasnt adjusted right and bent 6 valves...He decided to go with a k20a from a 03 type s...at first i thought the swap was tha stupidest thing in the world....I mean come on he paid $9000.00 for the swap...I mean he got some goodys also but dang...Ls/vtec done right can be a stout motor but its nothing NA compared to the K... If u dont want boost and have to money to burn then go K...Its well worth the money...
Old 12-05-2007, 04:25 PM

just go b20 vtech turbo....
Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stein_k_9)

or a b20 vtec turbo would be good
Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: (andoxviii)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My honest opinion would be to keep the b18b, and turbo it. The stock LS block can easily handle 250 whp, and if that isn't enough, sleeve the block and build it up and turn up the boost. Just my 2 cents.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2. This is probably the most useful info in the whole thread. Ls-T has proven to be reliable and put down decent numbers for a stock motor. If you don't believe me, look at the b18a/b turbo thread!

If this isn't enough, I would go ls/vtec turbo. I mean, if you just happen to have a spare b18b then why not have some fun and try an ls/vtec build?

First choice: Ls-T ftw!
Second Choice: Ls/Vtec-T
Last Choice: k20 (not worth the time and money when you have an ls sitting there)
Old 12-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (.PLUMMM)

I've been here like 3 years and I can tell you i'd be retiring if I had $1 for every thread like this i've seen.

Neither, b20/vtec high compression &gt; all.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: (stein_k_9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stein_k_9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just go b20 vtech turbo....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't exist.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stein_k_9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just go b20 vtech turbo....</TD></TR></TABLE>

He wanted to stay NA

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by serio_ENDLESS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THE B16 AND B18 ARE GOOD BUT ALSO LOOK AT IT YOU SEE ALOT OF PPL GOING LS-V AND B20 V NOW B16 ARE NOW KNOWN AS IF THEY ARE SINGLE CAM VTEC IF YOU WANT SOMETHING NICE DO THE B18 PUT SOME AFTERMARKET RODS ALSO HAVE THE BOTTOM END BALANCED USE TYPE R PISTON OR B16 NEW BEARINGS IF YOU NEED MORE INFO HIT ME UP OR LOOK IN THE FAQ. HOW TO BUILD A RELIABLE LS-V OR B20-V</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm? 127hp vs. 170hp. Easy math. I've driven and owned both setups. Not even close.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been here like 3 years and I can tell you i'd be retiring if I had $1 for every thread like this i've seen.

Neither, b20/vtec high compression &gt; all.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

He said reliable.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He said reliable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did he mention a budget?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I say build then LS-Vtec even if you have to do it twice it would be cheeper then a k20
Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did he mention a budget? </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha.

You know...one of my boyz had this carbuerated D15A. Best motor ever. Better than the K20A-R. VTEC? DISPLACEMENT? TECHNOLOGY? ALL BULLSHIT!! I once saw his carb'd D15A tear itself out of the motormounts, and punch a baby.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: (Colby71)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Colby71 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say build then LS-Vtec even if you have to do it twice it would be cheeper then a k20</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you gotta do it 2 times....then what makes you think it wouldn't blow up again? and again? and again? till the toll of B18B blocks and B16A heads totals more than a K20? Not to mention all the labor, and bullshit.

I'd rather just spend the $$ once, and ENJOY THE CAR.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

ls turbo...DUH!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: (96teggylsse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96teggylsse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ls turbo...DUH! </TD></TR></TABLE>
???

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6imola &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I def. want vtec, and I'm willing to spend the money for a powerful engine that maintains it's reliability. What I'm really looking for is an NA motor with lots of power that won't be prone to destruction. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've highlighted the important parts for everyone that answered "ls turbo" or B20 TURBO VTECH".

Old 12-05-2007, 08:07 PM

All right, thanks for all the input, except for the "if I had a dollar" replies, if only I had a dollar for every time i've seen someone reply with a stupid reponse to an honest question. I guess I never thought about the weight distribution of a k20, does it sit lower? And I do NOT want a turbo, too easy to expletive things up. I want the power along with some reliability. Whats the 98 spec R, do you mean B18C5 or something else? I did start this car on a budget, but after all the work I've put into it, I kinda wanna go ***** out with the engine, I don't wanna cut corners, as I love driving the car and I plan on putting a lot of miles on it. Thanks again keep it coming.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (eg6imola)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6imola &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And I do NOT want a turbo, too easy to expletive things up. I want the power along with some reliability.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are entirely mis-informed if you think turbo will lose reliability.

You mention how you do not want to cut corners. Fine, then don't. Do a leakdown and compression test on the LS you obtained for free. If it is "healthy" then there is no harm in turbo-ing the sh*t out of it. LS blocks are very strong.

I can understand if you want to Autocross with this car, then turbo is a bad idea. But for daily driving and straight-line performance, turbos are a very good way to gain power. I mean, you got the LS for free...take advantage man.

Good luck
Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (andoxviii)

7-8grand to get 200hp
Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Re: (VRD^sam)

Im with the guy this the turbo check the engine out and turbo it. 7-10psi would make you happy and as long as you stay out of boost (highway) you get the same gas mileage. If you dont go and get boost happy you should be fine but remember tuning is very important on any setup, that is where people cheap out and lose the reliability. A good turbo set will run you about 3k and like $500 for a good tune and dyno. If you turbo I would change out the pistons ... you dont need to go low comparison if you tune it while and keeping higher comparison... 9.5-10 zone will give you alot better throttle response and drive ability around town.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted- ls/vtec or k20